Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Set up plex with Asus Router?

zunken84zunken84 Posts: 21
edited February 2014 in DLNA

Is it possible to use Plex thru an ASUS RT-N56U router connected with my hdd? Or do i have to buy a NAS?

If so please give me step by step direction on how to fix it or a link to some page...

Comments

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,203 Plex Employee
    edited February 2014

plex server cannot be installed on a router if that is what you mean

• Yes thats what i mean (from sweden=bad english ;) )

I found this http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Asus/RT-N56U/Plex_Media_Server.htm

and thought it might work?

edited February 2014

that is just explaining how to configure your router so that the server, that is installed on your computer or NAS, can ben seen on the internet and you can access it remotely

• Ok

Thanks for your quick answers, now i can finally go to sleep (1:21AM in sweden now) without wondering over this.

off topic but do you recommend any specific cheap NAS that works great with Plex?

I don't use a NAS. here is some information on them which may help you decide  

https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/200286217-NAS-Devices

• thanks

• I believe this Asus router has a USB port which allows the sharing of a drive on the network.

If that's the case, connect the drive, share it and get PMS to point to it.

Should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • y0himbay0himba Posts: 56 Plex Pass
    edited February 2014
    lbarea wrote on February 27 2014, 12:58 PM: »

I believe this Asus router has a USB port which allows the sharing of a drive on the network.

If that's the case, connect the drive, share it and get PMS to point to it.

Should work.

Works here.  Asus RT-N56U

• y0himba

How did you get it to work for you?

I connected the HDD to the router and pointed PMS to the IP for the router (192.168.1.1).

Is there som more settings i need to do?

• I have a RT-N66U and it has a dlna server by itself. I connected an usb flash (a hard disk could be substitute) with some media and the router serve them corretcly to my sony bravia tv. Don't need plex to do simple sharing like that (the router can do it alone). I don't know if it is similar for RT-56...

• slipstreamsslipstreams Posts: 1,874 Plex Pass
    edited March 2014

Actually, you don’t need a NAS with that hardware. And you can also just use the build in UPNP server. Although… if you want to have all the comfortable sides of PLEX you might want to go along this path.

I don’t have an ASUS-router here but the steps are basically the same as with my router. ...and btw.: I’m on Win7. So this explanation is for Windows users.

Step 1: Connect the hard-drive physically to your router on a USB-port

Step 2:  Setup on your router a user account so that you can access the router from other computers

I think in the GUI for your ASUS it’s called something like “USB services”. You need to setup a “Samba-share”. Remember the user name and the password.

Give the user full rights for the USB-drive!!!

Step 3: Make a connection between your computer and the hard-drive on the router over your network:
    Go back to the PC where you run PMS and open Windows Explorer: There you should see under “network” your router. Once you click on it, you are asked to enter username and password. Use the ones you just created.

If everything went right now you can access the data on the USB-drive.

Step 4:  assign a drive-letter to the USB-drive and permanently connect it with your PC:

Right click in Win-Ex on the hard-drive and select “connect network-drive”. Chose a letter for the drive and make sure that "auto-connect" is selected. You should have the new drive listed there right away.

Step 5: in PMS now you can add the directories for your media to the sections by browsing on your new network-drive like if it was connected directly to the USB-port of your PC

All together this should take no longer than 10 minutes.

Good luck and have fun!

• zunken84zunken84 Posts: 21

Thank you very much, i will try this when im back home from work.  

• jaminroejaminroe Posts: 22 ✭✭
    This is an older post, but do you need the PC on for this to work? Or does the Plex server work with just the hard drive in the router? Thanks for all the helpful info!
  • hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,344 Plex Ninja
    jaminroe wrote on May 18 2015, 11:39 PM: »

This is an older post, but do you need the PC on for this to work? Or does the Plex server work with just the hard drive in the router? Thanks for all the helpful info!

No plex does not work in that configuration

Ref: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288286-What-is-Plex-

• jaminroejaminroe Posts: 22 ✭✭
    hthighway wrote on May 18 2015, 11:44 PM: »

No plex does not work in that configuration

Ref: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288286-What-is-Plex-

That's what I thought... Thank you!

• hinder90hinder90 Posts: 32 Plex Pass

So, why not just use NAT on your router to forward traffic to the PLEX-relevant ports to you Plex Media Server so that the content is available on line? All you should need is the eternal IP and any Plex client, right? Or am I missing something? I understand the advantage of having the Nighthawk run its own media server locally on the router in case your main Plex Media Server is somehow compromised, but outside of this, isn't it functionally equivalent?