In order to build / update the Rpi transcoding profile for RasPlex, i'll gather here the information that the transcoding profile will use.
Please let me know what you experiences are so that we can make it as much complete as possible.
We need to know which formats are playing fine on Rpi from your experience. if they are not listed below, just drop a post in this thread so that i can complete this list and the implementation/
Whatever will not be in this list will ask Plex Media Server for transcoding
1 - Default transcoding format :
- container : mpegts
- Video codec : h264
- Audio codec : aac, ac3, mp3
2 - Formats that should be used in DirectPlay or not transcoded (natively supported)
- Containers = "?" (not sure if we have any limitation here"
- Video codec = "H264, mpeg4"
- Audio Codec = "mp2, mp3, mp4, aac, ac3, dca (aka DTS), flac"
3 - Various Limitations
- Bitrate limitation for video (when transcoding) : 20 Mbps.
- Bitrate limitation for audio (when transcoding), if audio + video bitrates are above 21 mbits : 1 Mbps.
- Framerate limitation would have been nice around 30fps on 1080p content, but this is not technicallly possible as of now without capping this bitrate for all resolutions, that would mean PAL / NTSC medias would have to be capped to 30 fps as well. So skipped for now.
- BitDepth limitation to 8 bits as higher depths will result in pixelized playback.
Waiting for your suggestions / comments