If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

RPi Transcoding

14567810»

Comments

• marctwomarctwo Posts: 178Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please can we add AAC LATM to the list of direct play audio codecs?

• rainero84rainero84 Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi all, I only recently discovered Plex after I was having issues getting surround sound going with some movies using OSMC. Today I loaded the latest version of RasPlex, and am still not able to get it going. The issue I am having, like many others, is that Left, Right and Center work fine, but subwoofer, rear left & rear right don't get audio.
    My setup is a little different to what most people have i.t.o. my audio receiver only supporting DTS (and not AAC & AC-3). My setup is as follows:
    RPI2<----HDMI--->Samsung 40D6600<-----TOSLINK------>Logitech Z5500
    When enableing audio passthrough and ticking the DTS Capability checkbox, video clips with DTS encoding give me proper 5.1. Clips with any other audio encoding result in no joy.
    I was hoping I'd be able to get PMS to transcode all audio streams to DTS. Is this possible?

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

PMS cannot transcode non DTS audio to DTS.

According to the specs for the Z5500 it supports DD (AC3) so in addition to enabling DTS passthrough, enable DD passthrough.

You could also SSH into the RPi type tvservice -a to check what is supported.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."

Thanks for your quick response!
    tvservice -a outputs the following:
    PCM supported: Max channels: 2, Max samplerate: 48kHz, Max samplesize 24 bits.

I guess this means there isn't much I can do to get 5.1 audio via my TV?

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@rainero84 said:

I was surprised by your original post, are you sure you are getting 5.1 DTS output from your speakers, normally TV's can passthrough DD to the optical output but not DTS. Does your control unit for the Z5500 confirm that is receiving a DTS signal?

Try setting your Audio Output as follows:

Dolby Digital - Checked
    DTS - Checked
    Audio Output channels - 2.0 (as this only affects PCM, according to the User Manual for the Z5500 only 2 channel PCM is supported)

Play a DTS encoded movie sample and check the control unit displays 'Effect - DTS Digital'
    Play a DD encoded movie sample and check the control unit displays 'Effect - Dolby Digital'
    Play an AAC5.1 encoded movie sample and check what the control panel says (try this with channels set to both 2.0 and 5.1)

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."

Thanks again NedTheNerd!
    I did as you instructed and ticked the options you suggested. I then downloaded a couple of clips from here:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/movie_index.php?type=dolby

• The first five clips: Z5500 Displays "Digital", PHT AUDIO is reported as AC3 5.1, the Dolby Digital icon is displayed
    • "Train" clip: Z5500 displays "Stereo"; PHT AUDIO is reported as AC3 5.1, the Dolby Digital icon is displayed
    • "Piano" Clip: Z5500 displays "PLII Movie"; PHT AUDIO is displayed as DTS 5.1, the DTS Digital Surround icon is displayed
    • "DTS - The Digital Experience" clip: Z5500 does not play any audio ("No Digital Input"; PHT AUDIO is reported as DTS 5.1, the DTS Digital Surround icon is displayed

It's a bit strange that the last clip doesn't have any audio, and that the train clips only plays stereo... But judging by this it seems like AC3 encoding + passthrough works fine?

• VisualCVisualC Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi NedtheNerd and the rasplex team,

Is there any news about the issue with the H264 10bits transcoding ? We have not heard you since the bug report creation on github :(

• Opulent92Opulent92 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 2016

@VisualC said:
    Hi NedtheNerd and the rasplex team,

Is there any news about the issue with the H264 10bits transcoding ? We have not heard you since the bug report creation on github :(

Hey guys - seems I'm still having this problem currently as well. I've tried steering clear of most 10-bit media, but it's just not quite practical to ask my friends that I share plex with to do the same. Here's the github link: https://github.com/RasPlex/RasPlex/issues/391
    Should I expect to see this remedied in 2.0 since it's been set as a milestone? Thanks for any insight you have.

• LimbidsLimbids Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@NedtheNerd said:

@rainero84 said:

I was surprised by your original post, are you sure you are getting 5.1 DTS output from your speakers, normally TV's can passthrough DD to the optical output but not DTS. Does your control unit for the Z5500 confirm that is receiving a DTS signal?

Try setting your Audio Output as follows:

Dolby Digital - Checked
    DTS - Checked
    Audio Output channels - 2.0 (as this only affects PCM, according to the User Manual for the Z5500 only 2 channel PCM is supported)

Play a DTS encoded movie sample and check the control unit displays 'Effect - DTS Digital'
    Play a DD encoded movie sample and check the control unit displays 'Effect - Dolby Digital'
    Play an AAC5.1 encoded movie sample and check what the control panel says (try this with channels set to both 2.0 and 5.1)

Regards

Bit late reply here, but NedtheNerd I think you are fully correct. Samsung TV does not passthrough digital signal received via HDMI. There are 2 options in the TV menu which you can choose: PCM and DTS Neo 2:5.

Last one is (as far as I can find out) just some sort of upmixing from stereo. Whats curious about this is that (also) my receiver displays DTS 5.1. I am guessing that's the behaviour Rainero84 was seeing.

• RyeGuyWpgRyeGuyWpg Posts: 106Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2016

I just tried playing an avi file through raspPlex and it would pause every couple of seconds and then finally the audio dropped out. It wouldn't play at all on my Samsung Plex client unless I set the mode to transcode.

I've been looking to see if there is a way to force transcoding in RaspPlex for individual files like there is on other players but I can't seem to find it.

The video details are;

<MediaContainer size="1" allowSync="1" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library" librarySectionID="7" librarySectionTitle="Movies" librarySectionUUID="dc2616db-ceba-4c76-be17-5868c142cda0" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1475532206">
    <Video ratingKey="2179" key="/library/metadata/2179" guid="com.plexapp.agents.imdb://tt0086190?lang=en" librarySectionID="7" studio="Lucasfilm" type="movie" title="Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" contentRating="PG" summary="As Rebel leaders map their strategy for an all-out attack on the Emperor's newer, bigger -- and dreaded --Death Star. Han Solo remains frozen in the cavernous desert fortress of Jabba the Hutt, the most loathsome outlaw in the universe, who is also keeping Princess Leia as a slave girl.Now a master of the Force, Luke Skywalker rescues his friends, but he cannot become a true Jedi Knight until he wages his own crucial battle against Darth Vader, who has sworn to win Luke over to the Dark side of the Force." rating="7.4" viewCount="1" lastViewedAt="1476590910" year="1983" tagline="The Empire Falls..." thumb="/library/metadata/2179/thumb/1397329028" art="/library/metadata/2179/art/1397329028" duration="8088289" originallyAvailableAt="1983-05-25" addedAt="1396982898" updatedAt="1397329028" chapterSource="">
    <Media videoResolution="sd" id="2061" duration="8088289" bitrate="2071" width="720" height="304" aspectRatio="2.35" audioChannels="2" audioCodec="mp3" videoCodec="mpeg4" container="avi" videoFrameRate="24p" videoProfile="simple">
    <Part accessible="1" exists="1" id="2066" key="/library/parts/2066/1240515420/file.avi" duration="8088289" file="/mnt/PlexMedia/MOVIES/SCI-FI/STAR WARS EPVI RETURN OF THE JEDI/STAR WARS EPVI RETURN OF THE JEDI.avi" size="2093399264" container="avi" deepAnalysisVersion="1" indexes="sd" requiredBandwidths="5571,5298,4556,3656,3155,2927,2892,2892" videoProfile="simple">
    <Stream id="4274" streamType="1" codec="mpeg4" index="0" bitrate="1930" bitDepth="8" bvop="0" chromaSubsampling="4:2:0" codecID="DX50" duration="8088255" frameRate="23.976" gmc="0" height="304" level="1" pixelFormat="yuv420p" profile="sp" qpel="0" requiredBandwidths="5443,5170,4428,3527,3027,2799,2771,2771" scanType="progressive" width="720"/>
    <Stream id="4275" streamType="2" selected="1" codec="mp3" index="1" channels="2" bitrate="128" audioChannelLayout="stereo" bitrateMode="cbr" codecID="55" duration="8088085" requiredBandwidths="129,129,129,129,129,129,129,129" samplingRate="48000" streamIdentifier="1"/>
    </Part>
    </Media>
    </Video>
    </MediaContainer>

• loztlozt Posts: 3Members

Hi There
    Im having issues with skipping/seeking on anything above pms 1.2.7. I tried PMS Version 1.4.3.3433 today no help. Seek some times works but is super slow

using windows 10 x64 with i7 and rasplex latest version

• bblboy54bblboy54 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@lozt said:
    Hi There
    Im having issues with skipping/seeking on anything above pms 1.2.7. I tried PMS Version 1.4.3.3433 today no help. Seek some times works but is super slow

I've had the same.... I don't know the exact time that seeking stopped working so I can't say for sure that PMS 1.2.7 is the point but it's been bad.... Many times I would pull something up in Plex Web in order to skip to where I wanted to be, exit, and the resume on the RasPlex.... This, however, is now a huge issue because of bigger issues in 1.4.3.3433.... Actually, I noticed that when I upgraded to PMS 1.4.2 my RasPlex never seems to know how long the video playing is.... So if I am playing a 45 min video the bar is always at 99% with only a few seconds remaining... If I'm at 12 mins and 32 seconds the bar indicates that the video ends at something like 12 mins and 36 seconds..... same no matter where I am in the video. After the upgrade to PMS 1.4.3 my rasplex now can't even resume a video if the location to resume is more than only a couple mins into it.... It will give me the option when I press play to "Resume from 24:20" or whatever, then it will say transcoding, switch to please wait.... and then just stop.... if the resume point is 2:30 or something like that, it usually can resume but the video is jumpy for about 10 seconds until it stabilizes.

My server is running on Ubuntu 12 LTS 32-bit.... I'm using a Pi 3.

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Posts: 979Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 17

@bblboy54 said:

@lozt said:
    Hi There

I've had the same.... I don't know the exact time that seeking stopped working so I can't say for sure that PMS 1.2.7 is the point but it's been bad.... Many times I would pull something up in Plex Web in order to skip to where I wanted to be, exit, and the resume on the RasPlex.... This, however, is now a huge issue because of bigger issues in 1.4.3.3433.... Actually, I noticed that when I upgraded to PMS 1.4.2 my RasPlex never seems to know how long the video playing is.... So if I am playing a 45 min video the bar is always at 99% with only a few seconds remaining... If I'm at 12 mins and 32 seconds the bar indicates that the video ends at something like 12 mins and 36 seconds..... same no matter where I am in the video. After the upgrade to PMS 1.4.3 my rasplex now can't even resume a video if the location to resume is more than only a couple mins into it.... It will give me the option when I press play to "Resume from 24:20" or whatever, then it will say transcoding, switch to please wait.... and then just stop.... if the resume point is 2:30 or something like that, it usually can resume but the video is jumpy for about 10 seconds until it stabilizes.

PMS 1.3.3 killed the seek and transcode by removing the metadata stream. Try Plexpass PMS 1.4.4 which returns the metadata to fix Chrome and Samsung TV clients. Our next Rasplex/OpenPHT release fixes the issues as well for all recent PMS versions.

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! $25, $10, $5, or even $1 helps. All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

• dan-the-man-dan-the-man- Posts: 330Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@benjaminwolf said:

@bblboy54 said:

@lozt said:
    Hi There

PMS 1.3.3 killed the seek and transcode by removing the metadata stream. Try Plexpass PMS 1.4.4 which returns the metadata to fix Chrome and Samsung TV clients. Our next Rasplex/OpenPHT release fixes the issues as well for all recent PMS versions.

Fixed in the 1.8.0 release!

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Check out the Epic Aeon Nox Skin for OpenPHT
    Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

• jfrench1011jfrench1011 Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a channel that is serving video to my rasplex devices using DirectPlay. I'd like to configure that channel to transcode as the pi is having trouble handling the stream as is. It seems even if the settings are set to force transcode and not to allow DirectPlay in the raplex settings, the channel is still being services from my plex server as directplay. Other video files (non channel) are transcoded as per the server settings.

I think this is a function of the rasplex client and not the server or the channel. Other devices seem to obey directplay settings and transcode. Could this be a bug? Any way to force this to transcode? Better yet would be able to force the channel to transcode but keep the rest of the direct play as is.

Thoughts?

• eckartheckarth Posts: 455Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 26

I think channels are special. In some (most) cases the media streams by the end directly from the source to the client and not through the PMS.

Example: YouTube. After initial negotiation the client (i.e. RasPlex) has obtained an URI and requests the data from google's servers. The PMS is largely out of the game. If that is the case for your channel, the directplay and transcode settings on the PMS do not matter at all. But there is a "online video quality" preference on RasPlex.

@eckarth said:
    I think channels are special. In some (most) cases the media streams by the end directly from the source to the client and not through the PMS.

Example: YouTube. After initial negotiation the client (i.e. RasPlex) has obtained an URI and requests the data from google's servers. The PMS is largely out of the game. If that is the case for your channel, the directplay and transcode settings on the PMS do not matter at all. But there is a "online video quality" preference on RasPlex.

The channel (IPTV) transcodes properly for other clients (iOS, web client) obeying the Direct Play/Direct Streaming and quality settings. I can leave Direct Play/Direct Streaming on and it streams from Plex server as such. I disable and I can see Plex server transcoding it as it should. In Rasplex it doesnt. No matter the settings in Rasplex, Plex server is serving it Direct Play.

It definitely isnt working as it should.

• sirota554sirota554 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi i have a question that may have been answered a few years ago but i couldnt find any more updated information. I have some 10-bit anime shows that are being transcoded as the upper limit is 8-bit and in certain scenes the video becomes bright green on rasplex but not on openpht is there any particular settings i should make to prevent this?

edited May 2

@jfrench1011 said:

@eckarth said:

The channel (IPTV) transcodes properly for other clients (iOS, web client) obeying the Direct Play/Direct Streaming and quality settings. I can leave Direct Play/Direct Streaming on and it streams from Plex server as such. I disable and I can see Plex server transcoding it as it should. In Rasplex it doesnt. No matter the settings in Rasplex, Plex server is serving it Direct Play.

It definitely isnt working as it should.

Anyone?

14567810»