If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

upgrading plex media server on FreeBSD

supercazzolasupercazzola Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

so, I have read through the posts that show how to install PMS on NAS4free FreeBSD jail, and I have been very happy so far.

However, there does not appear to be any instructions for how to upgrade an existing installation, using the tar.bx2 files availabel for download by plexpass customers.

The newer versions are not available by ports, so any instructions referring to upgrading via ports doesn't get me the latest version.

I'd appreciate any assistance in understanding the steps to upgrade.

thank you in advance

-Kevin

Comments

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,826Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Wish I could help you on this one. I know that "rm -rf" is bad, but my *nix skills don't go a lot deeper than that. (Not quite true, but I have zero experience with *nix PMS installations.)

You may well get better info in Plex's FreeBSD forum. Let me know if you'd prefer this thread get moved there.

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• supercazzolasupercazzola Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2014

if it has a chance of getting answered, yes, please move it. Thank you Chris.

• possnfifferpossnfiffer Posts: 86Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    supercazzola wrote on March 1 2014, 5:13 AM: »

so, I have read through the posts that show how to install PMS on NAS4free FreeBSD jail, and I have been very happy so far.

However, there does not appear to be any instructions for how to upgrade an existing installation, using the tar.bx2 files availabel for download by plexpass customers.

The newer versions are not available by ports, so any instructions referring to upgrading via ports doesn't get me the latest version.

thank you in advance

-Kevin

extract your tar.bz2 (Bzip version 2 tarball) using the command 

tar -xvf 

that'll extract to wherever you're currently holding the file. To see where you are use

pwd

Anyways, I update mine by going into the folder and using this command to do it all

make deinstall clean && make reinstall clean

The first time I installed it I used

make install clean
  • pintapivapintapiva Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi! It's too easy to upgrade...

I have a ZFSGuru based on FreeBSD nas.lab.home.tld 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct 22 16:57:52 UTC 2013 

It's a NAS server with a PlexMediaserver installed from ports but version is old (9.8.x)

OK, let's upgrade! We need a terminal (PuTTY or MacOS X iTerm for example) then go to ssh session on server

$ ssh ssh@ip_of_my_nas_server

on NAS server:

#mkdir /tmp/src

#cd /tmp/src

#wget http://downloads.plexapp.com/plex-media-server/0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6/PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2

#tar xvf PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2

All DATA include database located in folder /usr/local/plexdata and we want to save it unchanged!

PlexMediaServer located in folder /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver and we want to upgrade it =)

#service plexmediaserver stop

#mv /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver.old

#mkdir /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver

#cp -r /tmp/src/PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6/* /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/

#service plexmediaserver start

#ps aux | grep plex

And that's all!! We've got upgraded PlexMedaServer!

• mpemmpem Posts: 73Validating ✭✭
    edited March 2014
    supercazzola wrote on March 1 2014, 5:13 AM: »

thank you in advance

-Kevin

If you want to use ports, you can use the tool portupgrade. After you run "portsnap fetch update", portupgrade automates the whole process with the command "portupgrade -a" (which upgrades all ports, but there are other switches for upgrading a specific one).

• possnfifferpossnfiffer Posts: 86Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2014

UPDATED April 17TH 2014

NOTE: The commands below require the user implementing them to be in the wheel group (one way of doing it is to read the chapter in Absolute FreeBSD on the subject, it's less pressure this way and helps you understand how to create a hobby project that I am happy to say works and I'm very excited to build and improve.) Yes, durring my studies I've learned that there's more than one way to skin a cat and I like to share what works for me and use the rest of my time for my life.

NOTE II: If you're running Plex in a FreeBSD Jail using the BSDnow.tv tutorial for setting up ezjail-admin then run the following prior to the instructions on updating Plex for FreeBSD. otherwise skip to NOTE III.

ezjail-admin update -P && ezjail-admin console plexms

NOTE III: If you're running Plex on your FreeBSD system and don't use Plex in a Jail run the following prior to the instructions on updating Plex for FreeBSD.

freebsd-update fetch install

:ph34r: PlexPASS Members Command B)

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass && make deinstall clean && make reinstall clean

:PNon-PlexPASS Members Command :P

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver && make deinstall clean && make reinstall clean

The instructions I endorsed below took me a reasonable amount of time to get the upgrade of the server. Still, the commands I use take very little time to run I always recommend rebooting your server after updating, not because of anyting to do with PLEX, It's due to the vast variety of pc's and components out there. It's safe to reboot and making it a habit will help you dodge those bullets that leave you searching the net four hours feeling discouraged. There's a lot of useful ways to prevent unpleasant ness in applicaiton install and the book Absolute FreeBSD by Michael W. Lucas is what help me get over the learning curve and feel confidant that If there's something I'm setting out to do, FreeBSD will be there to help me accomplish the task.

Prahlm93,

Thanks for those instructions. I'll start doing that way from now on.

• SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 2014
    pintapiva wrote on March 13 2014, 10:08 PM: »

Hi! It's too easy to upgrade...

I have a ZFSGuru based on FreeBSD nas.lab.home.tld 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct 22 16:57:52 UTC 2013 

It's a NAS server with a PlexMediaserver installed from ports but version is old (9.8.x)

OK, let's upgrade! We need a terminal (PuTTY or MacOS X iTerm for example) then go to ssh session on server

$ ssh ssh@ip_of_my_nas_server

on NAS server:

#mkdir /tmp/src

#cd /tmp/src

#wget http://downloads.plexapp.com/plex-media-server/0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6/PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2

#tar xvf PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6-freebsd-amd64.tar.bz2

All DATA include database located in folder /usr/local/plexdata and we want to save it unchanged!

PlexMediaServer located in folder /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver and we want to upgrade it =)

#service plexmediaserver stop

#mv /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver.old

#mkdir /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver

#cp -r /tmp/src/PlexMediaServer-0.9.9.7.429-f80a8d6/* /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/

#service plexmediaserver start

#ps aux | grep plex

And that's all!! We've got upgraded PlexMedaServer!

This is the method I'm trying and it seems as thought the Plex Media DLNA process won't start. Starting it by hand results in a error saying libboost_system* can't be found. This file exists in the directory. I'm trying to upgrade to 9.9.10. I have tried to set ld_library_path to the plexmediaserver directory and that didn't get me anywhere. Anyone else have a suggestion? 

• pintapivapintapiva Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    SweetAndLow wrote on April 22 2014, 3:40 PM: »

This is the method I'm trying and it seems as thought the Plex Media DLNA process won't start. Starting it by hand results in a error saying libboost_system* can't be found. This file exists in the directory. I'm trying to upgrade to 9.9.10. I have tried to set ld_library_path to the plexmediaserver directory and that didn't get me anywhere. Anyone else have a suggestion?

As I said I have a ZFSGuru based on FreeBSD nas.lab.home.tld 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct 22 16:57:52 UTC 2013. Did you same?

Отправлено из моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
  • NilzzzNilzzz Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 27

I know this is a really old post, but this is the only search result of upgrading Plex Media Server on a ZFSguru/freebsd I could find. And the info provided in this topic is no longer 100% accurate. Forgive me for bumping this old thread, but I just want to post some info for anyone who stumbles upon this, trying to update their PMS on a ZFSguru installation.

ZFSguru installs a really old version of PMS by default, and trying to upgrade with it pkg upgrade plexmediaserver won't give you a much newer version. After upgrading via pkg I kept getting codec errors, so I figured I needed to upgrade to the latest version.

Thanks to pintapiva for providing instructions on his upgrade process, but the Plex service isn't able to start afterwards (even though it says it's started). This is because the version ZFSguru installs has the binary named as Plex_Media_Server, while the latest at the time writing is named Plex Media Server. All you really need to do is replace the spaces with underscores:
    $ mv /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex\ Media\ Server /usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Plex_Media_Server

• clint.streetclint.street Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@possnfiffer said:

extract your tar.bz2 (Bzip version 2 tarball) using the command 

tar -xvf 

that'll extract to wherever you're currently holding the file. To see where you are use

pwd

Anyways, I update mine by going into the folder and using this command to do it all

make deinstall clean && make reinstall clean

The first time I installed it I used

make install clean

After that I get "make: don't know how to make deinstall. Stop"

Perhaps I used package instead so how do I upgrade the package using the tar.bz2 file?

Thanks