If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sony Bravia TV KDL32W650A and Home theater BDV-E6100 photo problem

MistermoonlightMistermoonlight Posts: 16Members

I have a curious problem related to dlna server. The problem is related to jpeg photo display on the bravia tv and BDV-e6100 home theater system. Both have a similar problem related to photo displaying, looking as a photoo cache problem?

TV:

Some jpeg pictures (taken from canon 5mp camera) are displayed in the size of an icon (similar of what we can see when we are seeing the preview of multiple pictures folder on screen. I know the problem is not related to these pictures cause they are displayed correctly on other dlna servers. Let's say that i have a series of 12 pictures, when i start displaying them, the 1st 4 or 5 pictures are displayed as an icon (very small on screen) and suddenly, next pictures are getting at full scrren size (tv is 1080 full hd) while pressing arrow key to change to next picture. If i am pressing the arrow keys on the tv remote multiple times to switch from full size pictures to icons one, at one time these icons pictures will become full size ones, but not all at the same time. I can navigate from these same pictures back and forth multiple times with cursor (right,left) keys, and after a long time, all 12 pictures will be at full screen size!!! But as soon as i am getting back to the previous folder of multiple pictures icons view and if i am displaying any picture in this list again by selecting it, i will still return to some of them being iconic view, and some full screen size. But the problematic iconics one are not always the same pictures!!!

Home theater:

There is a similar problem with photo view, but the display of these problematic pictures is different: instead of being small icons on screen instead of expected full screen resolution images, it is like these icons size resolution pictures are displayed full screen, but the quality is very very bad (pixelated a lot), were we can see like the picture icon resolution was zoom full screen.

Music and movie playing seems ok on both systems.

I have the latest plex windows version (from end of february) on win xp sp3.

When looking at these pictures from the web interface, everything is perfect all the time...

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• frenzyfrenzy Posts: 3Members
    Hi, I have HT BDV-E2100 and I'm having some problems to playback anything, Could you share your profile ? 

Thanks
  • MistermoonlightMistermoonlight Posts: 16Members

I did not used any special profile, and let plex choose a default profile by itself. I think from the log that plex is using 2013 bravia tv profile for the tv...

I have discovered that this seems to be related to a plex bug:

I have edited the bravia 2013 sony profile and comment out the line:

<!-- <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" /> -->

in the section "TranscodeTargets". This solve completly the problem. Now all pictures are always correctly diplayed full screen on my bravia tv. The problem with that configuration is that when seeing a photo list on the tv i am loosing the ability to display photo icons in the picture list.

If i don't remove the photo container line, i am getting photo icons in the picture list, but i am also getting the picture display bug that an icon is displayed instead of the full photo sometimes.

I have also discovered another interesting things: when i am replacing the photo container line above to png instead of jpeg, no photo are displayed at all on the tv (the tv does not support png pictures). This is curious, it means all photo are transcoded to png but there is a line in the DirectPlayProfiles section of this profile that is telling to directly support jpeg files so no transcoding to png should happens???

So i think that the original bravia 2013 profile is trying to transcode every picture i have which are all jpeg powershot canon camera pictures to jpeg (this is confirmed when switched to png, i am getting no pictures at all on the tv) and something goes wrong in the process. I guess that when the icons are used in the picture list on the tv, if you try to display the full picture, it will sometimes display the icon from the plex cache instead of the full one. When i am disabling jpeg transcoding, there are no pictures transcoded and no small icons in the cache, so the full size picture can always be displayed correctly.

• FonzoloFonzolo Posts: 10Members ✭✭
    Mistermoonlight wrote on March 8 2014, 11:19 PM: »

I have discovered that this seems to be related to a plex bug:

I have edited the bravia 2013 sony profile and comment out the line:

<!-- <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" /> -->

in the section "TranscodeTargets". This solve completly the problem. Now all pictures are always correctly diplayed full screen on my bravia tv. The problem with that configuration is that when seeing a photo list on the tv i am loosing the ability to display photo icons in the picture list.

Hi I'm an Italian guy (so sorry for my English) struggling with this "random" problem.

Where can I find the profile to edit?

Plex Staff knows about this problem? I really want my photo icons on the picture list at the same time...

• FonzoloFonzolo Posts: 10Members ✭✭

And I add: I have a lot of problems with bigger pictures (like wide panoramic shots).

I've tried your solution and it worked but I really really really need thumbnails...

Can anyone of the plex staff reply to this? :(

• desertdudedesertdude Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same problem with blurry pictures on a Sony BDP & Panasonic Viera TV.

Please fix!

• SlrGSlrG Posts: 488Members ✭✭

I have the same problem, too. :( I would also like to kindly ask for a fix.

• Take FiveTake Five Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

I have just installed Plex on my Windows Home Server 2011, and intend to use this product to replace Serviio, which I have no problems with and works well, but lacks the polished finish of Plex.

I have a home network of a Dell PC (Win 8.1), Dell Laptop (Win 7), and Android phone (Android 4.2.2) and Nexus 7 (Androind 4.4.2). and intend extended this to my other family members for their use on TV's and Android devices.

However I find I have the same problem as everyone else in this forum, there is a problem using JPEG image files on the Sony Bravia TV, mine are KDL-42W653A and KDL-32EX703.  In that a thumbnail image appears in the folder and for the file but when you open the file a stamp sized image is produced.

Like others I have fiddled with the "picture options" available on the TV and have been able to get a full size image but it is only available for a short time and as soon as I move to another folder a am back to square one.

Ther can be nothing wrong with my file system on my server as images are always presented a t full size whan I use other servers.

So I guess that the problem is in Plex and related to the Sony devices only, is it possible to get a fix as this fault is driving me back to having to use my Serviio.

I would like to try the fix suggested by mistermoonlight but like others I can not find the profile to make the changes, any chance you could provide some leads?

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 5,030Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Take Five wrote on August 12 2014, 2:13 PM: »

I would like to try the fix suggested by mistermoonlight but like others I can not find the profile to make the changes, any chance you could provide some leads?

On a windows based system the Plex profiles are going to be in:

the directory you installed plex\resources\profiles

For me it is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles

Because your two TV's are different years you will need to edit both the 2010 and the 2013 Bravia profiles.  If you edit and leave them in that directory they will be overwritten during any server updates.  To prevent this you would need to create the profiles directory in the user directory and place them there which overrides the system profiles without editing them.  This directory is located at:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Profiles *Profiles will have to be made

Fonzolo wrote on March 28 2014, 7:59 AM: »

Hi I'm an Italian guy (so sorry for my English) struggling with this "random" problem.

Where can I find the profile to edit?

Plex Staff knows about this problem? I really want my photo icons on the picture list at the same time...

You can find an example profile with this modification for a sony bravia tv here:

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/151850-dlna-profile-sony-bravia-tv-2013-kdl32w650a/