If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video won't play from Chrome Web Player

chris_j0neschris_j0nes Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I upgraded my PMS (running on Windows 7) to version 0.9.9.7 yesterday and now when I try to watch videos using the Chrome browser I get the following error:

There was a problem playing this item.

A friend of mine just installed version 0.9.9.7 last night and he's having the same problem with Chrome.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  Firefox and IE doesn't do this, just Chrome.

Comments

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,200Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Can you restart PMS, try to play the video, and send me your Plex Media Server.log file?

• chris_j0neschris_j0nes Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Restarted PMS and tried again with same result.

• BlizerBlizer Posts: 2Members

I have same problem

• billvanbillvan Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue. I am anxious for a reply to this issue.

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,200Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

This happens for all videos? The media server log seems normal. Can you play the video if you disable experimental player in the web player settings? Would it be possible to get a sample I can use to try to reproduce this?

ericmatthys wrote on March 17 2014, 2:23 PM: »

This happens for all videos? The media server log seems normal. Can you play the video if you disable experimental player in the web player settings? Would it be possible to get a sample I can use to try to reproduce this?

I'm not sure where this experimental setting is. Here is a .PDF file showing my "Player" settings. Please let me know what to change.

Regards, Bubbba

@bubbba What error message are you seeing? You are using the local, bundled app, which is different from the issue reported above.

edited March 2014
    ConVas wrote on March 16 2014, 9:13 PM: »

You need to authenticate with  myPlex for the remote connection so even if the app did accept a DNS name it would still not work.

@bubba is you  PMS logged into myPlex also ?

ericmatthys wrote on March 18 2014, 4:12 PM: »

@bubbba What error message are you seeing? You are using the local, bundled app, which is different from the issue reported above.

I am new to Plex so I am not sure what you mean about local bundled app verses what I was reporting. As far as I know, I was using Plex/Web from within Chromium (Chrome). The error was  "There was a problem playing this item".

I will not be able to answer your question till I am at work tomorrow since I am on the local network and need to test it remotely.  I never checked any logs since I don't have a clue where to find those. Thanks for your reply.

Regards... Bubbba

--

Now that I am at work:

From home, the Plex/Web will play just fine. Remotely, not at all. I am accessing Plex.Web from Plex.tv (Launch) option. I am also connected to the server. The weird thing is, I can see all the content and navigate to whatever I want, I just can't play anything. The only error I get is "There was a problem playing this item."....

Any help would be appreciated.

Update :

Not sure what changed but I am now able to use Plex.tv/Web/App and everything works as you would expect. I made "Zero" changes so the changes/updates must have come from the Plex/Web development team. Thanks so much for fixing the issue.

Regards, Bubbba

Update:

Now Days later... and the issue has returned. I am about to give up on remotely accessing content with plex. My only regret is the purchase of the iOS app which it worthless to me. I will never regret PlexPass, since there are still many benefits to Plex that are worth the cost. Plex in itself is a nice application.

Disabling the experimental player does fix the issue.  I am working on getting you a sample video now.

edited March 2014

I tried to upload to the forum, but it wouldn't take it.  Here's a link to download the file.  This is a 13 second sample of 300 which won't play using the experimental player.

https://cloud.thejonesfamily.co/public.php?service=files&t=8d22a4b6a9dc970f14a2bd3582678078&download

• evansfam8evansfam8 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have our entire household of movies on a 2TB drive which worked perfectly with Plex until I updated to 0.9.9.7.  Now I have the same issue here in Chrome, "There was a problem playing this item."  I get this for every movie I try.  My family is most upset (as our DVDs have been packed away for some time now).  I just tried (for the first time) in IE, but it says the browser does not support video streaming.  Also, I must be able to play in Chrome to use Chromecast to get it to the TV.

OK, I'm new to forums - is someone from plex supposed to work with us to resolve the issue.  Sure miss the days of telephone support numbers.

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,832Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    evansfam8 wrote on March 20 2014, 12:51 PM: »

I have our entire household of movies on a 2TB drive which worked perfectly with Plex until I updated to 0.9.9.7.  Now I have the same issue here in Chrome, "There was a problem playing this item."  I get this for every movie I try.  My family is most upset (as our DVDs have been packed away for some time now).  I just tried (for the first time) in IE, but it says the browser does not support video streaming.  Also, I must be able to play in Chrome to use Chromecast to get it to the TV.

Getting a clean Plex Media Server.log file that covers a single attempt at playback would give useful information.

Need help? Having trouble?
    » Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
    » Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

Here ya go!  I started Plex Media Server.  Then, I opened Plex.tv/web and tried to play a single video (it fails on all of them).  Then, I shut down Plex Media Server and here's the verbose log file.

edited March 2014

Update :

Not sure what changed but I am now able to use Plex.tv/Web/App and everything works as you would expect. I made "Zero" changes so the changes/updates must have come from the Plex/Web development team. Thanks so much for fixing the issue. FYI; I use Chromium in Linux which is basically the Open Source version of Google Chrome.

Regards, Bubbba

Now Days later... and the issue has returned. I am about to give up on remotely accessing content with plex. My only regret is the purchase of the iOS app which it worthless to me. I will never regret PlexPass, since there are still many benefits to Plex that are worth the cost. Plex in itself is a nice application.

I just tested on my PC at work and I'm still having the same issue.  Flash based player works, but the experimental HTML 5 player does not.

• Chris CChris C Posts: 11,832Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    evansfam8 wrote on March 21 2014, 7:48 PM: »

Here ya go!  I started Plex Media Server.  Then, I opened Plex.tv/web and tried to play a single video (it fails on all of them).  Then, I shut down Plex Media Server and here's the verbose log file.

Nothing obvious in the server log indicating what the issue is. There's no transcode or remux going on.

If someone is able to provide a small sample file that exhibits this behavior (the smaller the better - upload to Dropbox or similar and share the link) that would help for testing.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
    » Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums

I'm unable to reproduce this using the provided "300" sample. I tried Chrome on both Windows and OS X. I tried both the experimental and regular Flash player. I tried different stream quality settings (from 64Kbps to 20Mbps). In all cases, the file played correctly.

Do you get the same behavior if you try in an "Incognito" window in Chrome? What about if you disable all your extensions?

I disabled all extensions and tried running - no good.

I left the extensions disabled and tried running incognito - no good.

It WILL play in Media Manager - but you can't Chromecast from the Media Manager.

My thoughts are:  If it works in Media Manager, the Chrome, itself, is not the issue.

The issue must be with Chrome & the Plex Player.