Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Release] MyAnimeList.net Metadata Agent

DarakuDaraku Posts: 214Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello everyone finally it's here and I think some of you waited for this to happen quite a while and I'm sorry for that. After the last few weeks I dedicated most of my time to finish the backend and reworked and improved this Metadata Agent.

MyAnimeList.net Metadata Agent / MALAgent

Description:

The MyAnimeListAgent is a Metadata Agent for the Plex Media Server and is used to parse data from a source into the server. Since MyAnimelist.net does not provide a easy to use and complete API for their database I wrote the fribbtastic-api to parse the website and return the necessary data for the Agent to work. After the Scanner scans your files on your hard drive and added them to your library a search query to my API is triggered and the result with the highest conformity will be used to trigger a detailed request. This detailed request contains everything that is parseable like the title, the rank or all available Episodes.

The MyAnimeListAgent can be used for Tv-Shows and Movies.

To provide more Image Information like Backgrounds and Banners the API provides these fromTheTVDB.

Note:

• Every Anime is cached in a Database to limit the requests made to the myanimelist.net website. Animes are cached for 7 days.
  • Popular Animes like Naruto, Bleach or One Piece who provide many information will take some time to complete the request. So if you have an Anime that is not getting recognized or filled with Metadata, try to refresh the anime after clearing the plugin cache.
  • My API, which provides the Data, is only parsing the Data from MyAnimeList.net which means if there are missing Episode titles then it is possible that they aren’t added yet.
  • If Episodes are not available on MyAnimeList.net this Agent will set the Title to “Episode: X” and the date to the date you are adding it to your library. This means that you can still watch your anime from the “On Deck” Feature even if the original date is not available.

Installation:

Works best with: BABS – Better absolute Scanner

Scanner Installation:

Windows: C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Scanners\Series

Linux: /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Scanners/Series

If the Folders Scanners and Series do not exist then you need to create them.

Agent Installation:

1. Stop Plex Media Server
  2. Copy the MyAnimeList.bundle folder into your plugins folder (Where is my Plugins folder?)
  3. Start Plex Media Server

Screenshots:

anime-background-overview.png
anime-banner-overview.png
anime-cover-overview.png
anime-episode-overview.png
anime-overview.png
anime-settings-overview.png

Download:
http://coding.fribbtastic.net/projects/myanimelistagent/

Troubleshooting:

To figure out what happened I need the following Information: The Title and the Id of the Anime and If possible append the Log file to your post (how to find your log file!)

Known Issues:

1. API calls especially ones who aren't in cache yet or are older then 7 days will take longer to complete. So it is possible that you sometimes won't get any metadata because of an http timeout. Just start it again and the API cache should be good to go. This is especially the case for Anime with an episode list over 100 like Bleach, Naruto, HunterXHunter and especiall One Piece.
  2. TheTVDB search request I made to get the series will match the found title to the title of the series. If this matching score is not over 85% the response wont get any TVDB Data
  3. Sometimes when you won't get any metadata be patient and try another time. It could mean that myanimelist is refusing the request of my API because of "Too many requests".

If you have any problems with this Agent please don't hesitate to ask but please keep this thread clean. If you have problems, exceptions or strange behaviour post them in my Support thread here

you can also follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/D4r4ku or visit the project page on http://coding.fribbtastic.net/projects/myanimelistagent/ (there you can subscribe for email notification)

Comments

• Ace_demo2Ace_demo2 Posts: 1Members

So far im impressed although my machines going supersonic listing everything your plugin combined with the defaults has allowed me to take a look at what i have and thereby remove the stuff i dont want from my disk. Keep up the good work appreciate it greatly. 

• lionhoholionhoho Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot for the great job!

I got some questions here. Some of my animations missed after scanned with BABS. For example I have 10 animations in a folder but I can only get 4 animation (in Tiles) by using BABS, though I can still see them "by Folder". Should I change the scanner?

Thanks 

• DarakuDaraku Posts: 214Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    lionhoho wrote on April 9 2014, 2:51 PM: »

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot for the great job!

I got some questions here. Some of my animations missed after scanned with BABS. For example I have 10 animations in a folder but I can only get 4 animation (in Tiles) by using BABS, though I can still see them "by Folder". Should I change the scanner?

Thanks 

Does the Folders which aren't displayed have multiple files in it with different episode numbers?

new version 3.3.1 is out

• roobreroobre Posts: 2Members

You are awesome :D

Finally, tanks to you and BABS, my animes are categorized and not messed up on nonsense seasons.

Keep the good work! :D

• jaimeaustriajaimeaustria Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

really wanna try this out...too bad sourceforge is down at the moment. 

• diablo2mandiablo2man Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass
    edited April 2014

thanks for the update! 

• 2TAKTER2TAKTER Posts: 10Members

Nice work, it does what you promise.

Anyway, I don't see the benefit of using it right now instead of http://thetvdb.com/

I have no episode descriptions or Titles. Also, myanimelist does not support multiple languages.  So the plugins functionality will be restricted by the page itself

• zayneeinzbernzayneeinzbern Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

This is very nice, but I am having a problem with a couple shows not displaying all the files for the show. Code Geass only shows the last half of each season. Dragonball shows 100 files but in the episode screen it shows that some of the episodes have multiple files, yet they are named in order 1-153. .Hack//Liminality won't show up at all. Inuyasha has the same problem as Dragonball. S-Cry-Ed only shows half the series. 

zayneeinzbern wrote on May 6 2014, 3:45 AM: »

This is very nice, but I am having a problem with a couple shows not displaying all the files for the show. Code Geass only shows the last half of each season. Dragonball shows 100 files but in the episode screen it shows that some of the episodes have multiple files, yet they are named in order 1-153. .Hack//Liminality won't show up at all. Inuyasha has the same problem as Dragonball. S-Cry-Ed only shows half the series. 

The problem with episodes not showing is mostly a problem of the scanner because this agent will only request data with the name of your show. The Show will be added by the Scanner. Please use a Name that is used by MyAnimeList.net.

This is also the Problem with the .hack Anime because plex removes all special characters from the name.

All I can say about this problem is that it isn't a problem of the Agent. You can attach the log file after refreshing an Anime and I will take a look but I think I can't help you with that.

If you are not using BABS already I suggest you download the scanner and use it (download in release post)

• indigo0086indigo0086 Posts: 5Members

How do I get a subtitle metadata agent to work with this?

edited June 2014
    indigo0086 wrote on June 2 2014, 3:24 AM: »

How do I get a subtitle metadata agent to work with this?

I will look into it

Edit: What kind of Subtitle Metadata Agent do you use?

edited June 2014

New Version is Up: 3.4

if something isn't working please tell me so that I can fix this ;)

• NettoNetto Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Kinda missing the Airing date for episodes, without it the On Deck section is always empty for my shows.

edited June 2014
    Netto wrote on June 25 2014, 7:50 PM: »

Kinda missing the Airing date for episodes, without it the On Deck section is always empty for my shows.

the problem with the airing date is that myanimelist.net only provides the aired date of the anime itself and not a specific episode.
    but I think about a solution.

edited June 2014

yet another new version is up: 3.5

Version: 3.5
    - original available at date will now be set
    - more covers to choose from
  • bushibotbushibot Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    The agent was working fine for me but now, last week, has stopped getting poster art (still gets metadata for show description etc. Updated to newest version but still not getting posters.. not sure what to try tweaking...
    plex us running on a old mac mini (mavericks) nothing special, pretty much just plex on there.
    Thanks
  • maavangentmaavangent Posts: 1Members

Same here. Running Plex on a MacBook Air with the latest version of Mavericks.

Please be sure that you use the latest version 3.5.
    I changed the way how the posters are added in this version (and more posters). Please redownload the 3.5 version, and if you still got the same problem please add the log file so that I can take a look what is going on.
  • kalamitikalamiti Posts: 3Members

I was having the same problem, it was not getting any info so there is no summary, tagline, rating, year, poster, etc. It just started happening while I was running 3.3.1 and still occurred with 3.5.

While I was poking around I happened to click 'Edit Library' in my Anime section and in the Advanced section noticed that for some reason my Agent had been switched from MyAnimeList.net to Person Media Shows. I switched it back to MyAnimeList.net, hit 'Save Changes' and it found all the new shows I've added.

Make sure that you guys triple check that. I'm the only one that has access or even knows how to make Plex changes, and for some reason it looks like it switched on its own.