If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

So Where Is The Graphic Equalizer?

I just found Plex. Downloaded it, tried it out and am quite impressed. I will probably be picking up a mini as a HTPC....... But where is the graphic equalizer for audio!? Is it hiding somewhere? its not is it?

With everything Plex does I cant believe there inst an equalizer. Is there one in the works?

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,396Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    kronie wrote on 11 November 2009 - 09:30 AM:

But where is the graphic equalizer for audio!? Is it hiding somewhere? its not is it?

It's on your surround receiver :)

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• kroniekronie Posts: 30Members ✭✭
    edited November 2009
    I have an Onkyo TX NR801 and I can adjust Bass and Treble only. Its not a real EQ by any means.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a real EQ, Like this one:

Graphic-EQ.jpg?t=1257974370

That you can adjust various frequencies?

C'mon you know you want one!
  • jayman978jayman978 Posts: 4,467Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Home theater aficionados would frown on using something like this. The only reason to use something like this would be to make up for deficiencies in speakers or speaker placement. For me this is the same argument as why there shouldn't be controls to adjust picture settings in Plex. Calibrate your monitor/TV correctly and it won't be an issue. :)
    edited November 2009
    Or deficiencies with the audio files. I mean don't you all play digital audio?? You cant all be using FLAC files only. Personally, I have a huge mix of MP3, AAC, WAV & FLAC files (some are obviously better than others) and an equalizer can 100% and without a doubt make my music sound MUCH better and I have a well placed and expensive sound system.

I'm a home theater aficionado that would LOVE to see an equalizer. Maybe I'm the only one I guess?

Or maybe the Plex engineers don't know how to create one? :)
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,396Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited November 2009
    kronie wrote on 13 November 2009 - 09:43 AM:

Or maybe the Plex engineers don't know how to create one? :)

You found me out, I have no clue. I studied Electrical Engineering before hopping over to Computer Science, and the *one* class I was missing for a double-major was Digital Signal Processing. Had I just taken that one class, I could probably write a graphic equalizer with one hand behind my back and a bong in my mouth.

edited November 2009
    You know I was kidding I hope.

I would bet if you integrated one into the system you would be surprised how many people used it.
    kronie wrote on 13 November 2009 - 10:31 AM:

You know I was kidding I hope.

I would bet if you integrated one into the system you would be surprised how many people used it.

Yeah, for sure :) It's something we might look at, but we have a ton of other stuff on the list right now that's higher priority. If someone submitted a patch, of course we'd consider it.

Cheers!

• krigbykrigby Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jayman978 wrote on November 13 2009, 4:01 PM: »

Home theater aficionados would frown on using something like this. The only reason to use something like this would be to make up for deficiencies in speakers or speaker placement. For me this is the same argument as why there shouldn't be controls to adjust picture settings in Plex. Calibrate your monitor/TV correctly and it won't be an issue. smile.gif

I'm having a hard time with this argument, and let me tell you why.  Although speaker placement and room treatment can go a long way in tuning in a speaker/room system (and when we are talking about sound reproduction the speakers, amps, room, etc comprise a system, it's about the whole rig, not just the speakers), all speakers have deficiencies.  Speaker design is a compromise between what is possible and what is feasible, and unless you have speakers custom built for your room feasibility will always win.  In other words, no speaker exhibits flat response.  And assuming it were possible to get a flat response from your speakers, you probably don't want that anyhow, flat response is just that: flat, as in lifeless.

But wait, there's more!  The response curve you want for classical music is nothing like the response curve you want for rock music or dance music or acoustic or jazz or...  ad naseum, not to mention the different response curves you might want for different genres of movies.

But wait, we're not done yet!  How about just plain old preference?  I like a bright sizzling high end and a warm rich mid bass with just a hint of deep bass.  But my headbanging buddy wants room shaking deep bass and bright upper mids.  How do we accommodate those differing preferences?  Short of swapping out speakers, an equalizer is the next best option.

And that, my friends, is why someone might want an EQ (dare we ask for PEQ) in a media (read 'home theater AND audio) app.  Not to mention that even MS Media Player (yes, I said it) has an EQ, as does MediaMonkey and just about any other media player I have ever used.

Until Plex does incorporate an equalzer, Member, you could pick up a MiniDSP 2x4 pretty cheaply.  it will do equalization and an whole lot more.  I think they are selling for about $70 or so.  Check them out on minidsp.com.  I have one and I love it.  It is invaluable for integrating a sub into a stereo rig and coupled with REW it will help you tune your system pretty easily.

• warlockukwarlockuk Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Is there an EQ for music on the android app?

• X-LineX-Line Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2014

An easy to pop up eq and gain control per individual file would be a killer addition to plex.

Nothing worse than queuing up a mixed source folder and having to adjust the volume constantly.

It would be especially usefull for those who use PHT as a frontend in their theatre setups.

Sometimes old vhs rips and older sources are all over the place....

Also the ability to apply audio filters as plugins would be incredible.

A vhs hum/noise reduction filter among many others would be another handy thing to keep from having to hand clean every file.

Thanks to the Plex Team!  I use plex for the backbone of my daily media consumption.

• schuieschuie Posts: 4Members ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    X-Line wrote on June 14 2014, 8:26 PM: »

An easy to pop up eq and gain control per individual file would be a killer addition to plex.

Nothing worse than queuing up a mixed source folder and having to adjust the volume constantly.

It would be especially usefull for those who use PHT as a frontend in their theatre setups.

Sometimes old vhs rips and older sources are all over the place....

Also the ability to apply audio filters as plugins would be incredible.

A vhs hum/noise reduction filter among many others would be another handy thing to keep from having to hand clean every file.

Thanks to the Plex Team!  I use plex for the backbone of my daily media consumption.

I recently started using Plex for my music and though it's *good*, I agree that it's missing a few things that would make it *great*.

I would LOVE the ability to install AU filters, but I'd definitely settle for a simple 10-band EQ and maybe file-specific gain control.

EDIT: I love Plex and the devs for creating such a killer platform, but I can't believe this thread is going on 5 years old and nothing has been done - surely an EQ would be a simple addition for PHT :(

• plabrieplabrie Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree, I'm also having problem with my movies where I wish I could make the range lower, some high are too high and low too low. Probably bad source, but would be an easy enough fix with an equalizer.

• coop2coop2 Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad to hear one of you "audiophiles" admit the need for an EQ... or at least you built a decent logical case for one.   Listen, I'm no elite audiophile... not because I don't want to be, but mostly because I can't afford to spend half my salary on audio equipment.  I am, however, an avid digital music and video user, a musician with a home studio, an owner of over 2,000 high end digital music and video files, and I have an in-depth knowledge of music, video and sound.  So I know my sound guys is what I'm saying and I don't need $20k worth of equipment to prove it and I can't believe that the vast majority of Plex users are audiophiles, but rather just digital movie and music lovers who know a good thing when they see it.  I also gotta believe an EQ add in its a relatively easy thing to do in the grand scheme of Plex initiatives..So let's dispense with the equipment and placement B.S. and keep on pressing (I mean politely begging) Plex for an EQ.  I want an EQ too !  Me too !  Me too !  Me three !!  You get the idea.  

Anti-inflammatory P.S. statement:   I love Plex.  I love the developers who built it and keep it humming.  It is my bread and butter digital media system at home and away.  I love you.  I love you.  I truly do.

• chrismiller821chrismiller821 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

I'm looking for an EQ as well. I have been considering buying the Plex Pass, but the EQ issue is something that is holding me up.

• t_wysockit_wysocki Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Newbie here too. Wow, what a surprise that someone besides me would want this feature! Just got Plex and I'm in love, BUT!

What a shock to hear my mp3 collection without the benefit of DSP! Years ago, I grudgingly accepted mp3 over my CD collection only because I'm getting older and the ears aren't like a critical dog anymore. But, with DSP I could recover a bit of the punch that was missing. Just an equalizer is only part of the solution. I really want the dynamic range expansion and other features that good DSP software can provide. I was using SRS dsp on my HTPC and would love to keep it. But if I can't get it to work with Plex (and Chromecast) then I'd really like to see it built in to Plex.

• RogerSLORogerSLO Posts: 11Members ✭✭
    Hi Plex lovers...

Just started using Plex on iPad. Awesome!

And me also wanna Equalizer... got some stereo bluetooth headset with extra too much bass (Argh!) and an Equalizer would definitely be a fix.

So, please, Plex developers/programmers, can you please implement Equalizer in Plex player? Please.
    I am waiting for some candy in Plex to buy lifetime Plex pass ;-)

Thank you.

P.S.
    Did I mention "please"?

Roger
  • estrusestrus Posts: 1Members Plex Pass

Trying out PLEX and this is pretty much my first frustration. Playing around with the music library and it just sounds like crap on my PC. Every other media plays the music just fine, but with PLEX the bass is so overpowering. I've messed around with my surround system to no avail.

I'm genuinely shocked this isn't a basic feature readily available almost everywhere else.

• TurboJailerTurboJailer Posts: 306Members ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

I would like an eq but for different reasons than others have stated. I have a fairly significant hearing loss and use an EQ to boost the frequencies where my hearing is lacking the worst. It helps me for dialog which is getting increasingly difficult for me to understand. It's gotten bad enough that anyone with a foreign accent may as well be speaking another language; I pick up lost words by spech pattern recognition from memory. I hate wearing my hearing aids when I watch movies because I lose some of the directional effects so an EQ would be a huge benefit for me.

• dogbonezdogbonez Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

Put me down for opting-in for an equalizer in Plex app as well. Here's the simple reason why. When I use Plex on my iPhone with headphones, there is no way to alter the audio as far as I can see. The argument that "home theater aficionados would frown on using something like this" does not apply to this case. In the case of using a mobile device with headphones and Plex, having an in-app equalizer would be the only solution. To "aficionados", like if you used airplay to push the audio to a surround system for example, there would be an option to turn the eq off.

Just a simple eq like this would be fine (from iOS -> Settings -> Music).

• Turfking8Turfking8 Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

I would pay $5 for a good equalizer app that you could install on any Google/Android and Windows. Right now I really want one for my Windows I8 tablet by Dragon Touch so I can adjust the settings once for my preference and let everything come out the way I like it. Anyone know of an App for Windows in particular? I already bought one for like $3 on my Sony Google TV which has Bluetooth so I run everything through that, even my Roku and it works fine but the tablet is Windows 8 which use the tablets outside. Isnt even here yet but I am assuming I need an EQ app like I did for the Sony TV thru the Google play store and that actually did the trick. Any help finding a windows app to do the same would be greatly appreciated.