Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to export existing posters?

vincentjonesvincentjones Posts: 14Members ✭✭
Plex does a wonderful job to recognize movie titles and then download poster.

But for many cases, I need to manually search titles since I have a lot of non-English movies. It took me time to do the search considering the piles of movies I have.

Therefore I want to save these posters and store them in the same folder with the movie (I just learned how to name posters properly). 

I could do manually search again, but there existing posters are somewhere in my computer. I have tried to location the matadata folder of Plex. It turned out that all files are encrypted.

I am here to ask where there is an app could simply export existing posters.

Thanks!!

Comments

• vincentjonesvincentjones Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Please help!

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Posts: 5,513Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is the only link I found that might yield positive results, but it l believe you've already seen it.

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/109975-how-to-export-existing-posters/?p=657856

I do not know of a way to export all the posters, only what is in the following link:

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/105758-rescuing-posterfan-art-out-of-an-old-plex-server/?p=626253

Jim

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    Rule #32 "Enjoy the little things"
  • MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,684Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The long way is to view the xml file for your movie.  In the XMl file that shows up, look for the term "thumb=".  Here is an example

thumb="/library/metadata/25199/thumb/1398798243"

You want the stuff between the quotation marks.  Open a web page to your local machine with that address.  Like this.

http://127.0.0.1:32400/library/metadata/25199/thumb/1398798243

You should see the poster.  Now just right click and save it where you want.

MovieFan wrote on June 2 2014, 7:11 AM: »

The long way is to view the xml file for your movie.  In the XMl file that shows up, look for the term "thumb=".  Here is an example

thumb="/library/metadata/25199/thumb/1398798243"

You want the stuff between the quotation marks.  Open a web page to your local machine with that address.  Like this.

http://127.0.0.1:32400/library/metadata/25199/thumb/1398798243

You should see the poster.  Now just right click and save it where you want.

Thanks! 

I just hope there will be a plugin for this!

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,684Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    After I saw your post, I found your ideal to be a good one and decided to back up my posters as well. The long way I described was taking to much time so I looked into a faster method. I found a way using a scripting program I've been using for years called MortScript. I'm not done but I can share our with you when I am. Basically it calls up the xml files, finds the image file, and automatically saved it to the correct movie folder. I should have it done later tonight and can share tomorrow if you are interested.

Note, this is only for Windows.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    MovieFan wrote on June 3 2014, 5:15 AM: »

After I saw your post, I found your ideal to be a good one and decided to back up my posters as well. The long way I described was taking to much time so I looked into a faster method. I found a way using a scripting program I've been using for years called MortScript. I'm not done but I can share our with you when I am. Basically it calls up the xml files, finds the image file, and automatically saved it to the correct movie folder. I should have it done later tonight and can share tomorrow if you are interested.

Note, this is only for Windows.

That will be great. Thanks.

I don't use the folder images so I haven't looked into the naming convention needed for that.  Do you want the image file to be named the same as the movie filename or is there a generic name to use?  Right now my script works but I have it use the movie filename.

Battleship (2012).mp4

Battleship (2012).jpg <-- Image file created based on movie file

or

Battleship (2012).mp4

poster.jpg <-- a generic name, I can use any name you want

Here is the script I came up with.  In the attached zip file there are 2 files.  Extract them anywhere on your computer.

MortScript.exe is the program that reads and executes the script.  Just double click it to associate the extension .mscr to this program.

SaveMoviePosters.mscr is the actual script.  It is just a text file so you can open it and view it if you'd like.  If you did the above, double clicking on this file will run the script.  The first thing it does is look up all your movie libraries.  You can then choose to just run it for 1 library or all.  One you choose, you will see the screen flicker as it copies the files into their correct locations.  This shouldn't take too long.  I ran it on my ~800 movies and it took a little over a minute.  Once done, it will give you a "Done" window to let you know.  The program will only add the jpg if 1 doesn't already exist.  So if you run the script twice, it will not download anything the second time so you won't see the flickering, but you will get the Done message when it is finished.

Let me know if you run into any problems.  The only problems I found was with certain non-alphanumeric characters in the filename.  The XMl file uses html and converts some characters to &xxx; code.  I did a check for a few but not all of these.  It's simple to fix, just let me know what characters you run into.

MovieFan wrote on June 4 2014, 5:13 AM: »

Here is the script I came up with.  In the attached zip file there are 2 files.  Extract them anywhere on your computer.

MortScript.exe is the program that reads and executes the script.  Just double click it to associate the extension .mscr to this program.

SaveMoviePosters.mscr is the actual script.  It is just a text file so you can open it and view it if you'd like.  If you did the above, double clicking on this file will run the script.  The first thing it does is look up all your movie libraries.  You can then choose to just run it for 1 library or all.  One you choose, you will see the screen flicker as it copies the files into their correct locations.  This shouldn't take too long.  I ran it on my ~800 movies and it took a little over a minute.  Once done, it will give you a "Done" window to let you know.  The program will only add the jpg if 1 doesn't already exist.  So if you run the script twice, it will not download anything the second time so you won't see the flickering, but you will get the Done message when it is finished.

Let me know if you run into any problems.  The only problems I found was with certain non-alphanumeric characters in the filename.  The XMl file uses html and converts some characters to &xxx; code.  I did a check for a few but not all of these.  It's simple to fix, just let me know what characters you run into.

Thanks for the script.

There were a lot of error pop ups, but it went throught. I am wondering where I can find these posters? Thanks again.

If you tell me what the error says I can fix it. You'll just need to run it again and it will fill in the missing ones.

edited June 2014
    MovieFan wrote on June 10 2014, 11:18 PM: »

If you tell me what the error says I can fix it. You'll just need to run it again and it will fill in the missing ones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouhxekql47mew34/BaiduShurufa_2014-6-10_20-14-44.png

This is the error window.

Ok, can you tell me the complete filename for that movie?  There must be some characters in there that needs to be converted from html back to normal text.  This is the error I mentioned may happen.

• RedBoxStreamRedBoxStream Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the tool.

I have followed your directions and I get the following error:

'http://127 .0 .0 .1 :32400/library/ sections/2/ aII' 1 is too big
    Line 60 (C:\Users\ EAS8700\Desktop\PLEX - Save Movie
    Art\ SaveMovieP osters.mscr):
    strText = ReadFile(strUrlSectionID)

I am selecting only 1 Library -- it has 820 movies.  The movies are located on a NAS.

Is there something I'm doing wrong - or that I need to do to make this work.

Again -- THANKS - I'm hoping that this is something that will be easy for me to address

The program has a limit on the size of the file it can read. I hadn't planned in an xml file being that large. Let me see if I can find a work around.

MovieFan wrote on June 11 2014, 4:12 AM: »

Ok, can you tell me the complete filename for that movie?  There must be some characters in there that needs to be converted from html back to normal text.  This is the error I mentioned may happen.

I have some folders and title names with Asian characters. They are the reasons. Otherwise it worked for other files with English titles. 

Thanks.

It is a great tool. Please keeping the good work.

• turbalfturbalf Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    MovieFan wrote on June 4 2014, 5:13 AM: »

that's a really good idea, thank you !

just a little question : is there a way to do the same with backgrounds ?

thanks again !

Should be possible.  Let me look into it.  In the mean time, I have included this poster ability into my Database Tool script.

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/120292-m3u-playlist-converter/

I am downloading the files differently now.  Scanning directly from the database instead of calling up web XML files so the limit is now gone.  I also added a status window and log file so you can see if it worked or not.  This may also have fixed the foreign character problem too, since the problem had to do with reading the foreign characters from the XML file.  No problem reading them in the database.  I did not have a chance to test that.

• Spaceman SpiffSpaceman Spiff Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having a difficult time with something that should be easy and i'm hoping someone is willing to lend a hand...

I need to grab some metadata that I have uploaded into my plex library for installation on another server - poster art for one of my movies. This is proving to be almost impossible for me. I have tried the method described above by MovieFan.Plex viewing the XML file and attempting to access the thumb through a browser but I get a 401 unauthorized error blocking my attempt to do so.

I've spent hours now trying to download one stupid dvd box art file that I can no longer find anywhere on the web. Please help! :)

BTW I'm running PMS on a windows 7 machine. Also, and just out of curiosity, how come I can't just download the picture right from the webpage like you can from almost any other web page in existence? Kind of crazy I'm looking at a picture but can't save it.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,552Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging