If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

ROKU/PLEX APP - "HDCP Unauthorized. Content Disabled"

PHILIP BODENHORNPHILIP BODENHORN Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

Well trial and failure allowed me to plug my former 'Recently Viewed' videos to the PLEX app on ROKU.  Now when I play it I receive a solid purple screen indicating "H(?)DCP Unauthorized.  Content Disabled" while the audio portion is still playing over it.  OK...any ideas on this failure?  Thanks!

Comments

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 2014

That is a handshake error generated by your TV. The fault, if any, can be from multiple causes. Some things to try in no particular order:

A different port on your TV

A different HDMI cable

Switch ends of the HDMI cable

Be sure the HDMI cable is well seated at each end

Generally one of those will fix the problem but there are a very few TVs that do not play well with the Roku. For those it has mostly been shown that the Roku conforms to the HDMI standard while the TV deviates in some way.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,758Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Elijah_Baley wrote on June 26 2014, 2:29 AM: »

That is a handshake error generated by your TV. The fault, if any, can be from multiple causes. Some things to try in no particular order:

A different port on your TV

A different HDMI cable

Switch ends of the HDMI cable

Be sure the HDMI cable is well seated at each end

Generally one of those will fix the problem but there are a very few TVs that do not play well with the Roku. For those it has mostly been shown that the Roku conforms to the HDMI standard while the TV deviates in some way.

Just had this happen to me. I think it is more a Roku issue

After 3 years of working with my TV I suddenly get this?

This has nothing to do with my TV or my HDMI cable or the port.

Re-booting the Roku fixed it. Been having nothing but issues since the last Roku update (not the last Plex update, the last ROKU update). Issues on all Roku channels.

Roku borked the device with their last update.

R Sava

• JchiJchi Posts: 398Members, Plex Pass

Occasionally happens to me. I just turn off the tv and turn it back on. The TV re-handshakes and everything is good, no changes necessary.

• chmmrtchmmrt Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is a Roku issue - usually happens to me when I take the HDMI cable of of the Roku to put it into something else and then back to the Roku.

This works for me - reboots the roku in the process:

HOME x 5

UP x 1

REWIND x 2

FF x 2

chmmrt wrote on August 4 2014, 11:52 AM: »

This is a Roku issue - usually happens to me when I take the HDMI cable of of the Roku to put it into something else and then back to the Roku.

This works for me - reboots the roku in the process:

HOME x 5

UP x 1

REWIND x 2

FF x 2

That sends an unnessary crash log to Roku.

To reboot it is better to simply unplug the Roku wait 10 seconds and plug it back in.

Also the reboot menu option from the secret screen is better:

=================

At the main menu press: (Be sure to use the ff, rw and play keys not the keypad direction keys)

Home Button 5 times
    FF 1 time
    Play 1 time
    RW 1 time
    Play 1 time
    FF 1 time
    =================
    The system reboot option from that screen does not send a log so it has less impact and is a bit quicker.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.

• WatergunzWatergunz Posts: 1Members

This happen to me today.

The only thing I done differently was change my HDMI cable to a "new" one.

SOLUTION: Switched it back to the old one and problem solved.

• offroadaceoffroadace Posts: 1Members

Same thing for me today.

Nothing listed solved my problem but I was able to fix it for now.

Connection is to my MyCloud 4TB server via Wifi.

Appears to be a Wifi connection issue to Roku and my hard drive and not an HDMI problem in my case.

Work Around that resolved my issue - Connect an external hard drive to the USB on the Roku and all movies played without error.

My guess is it is something in my network with the Wifi or Roku gets confused and cannot resolve the Wifi from MyCLoud which is within 2 feet of each other and a repeater to boost my Wifi signal.

• homemediamojohomemediamojo Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Had this issue today and rebooting the Roku fixed it.  I recently hooked up a HMDI switcher so I think this is a HDMI issue.

• AlonlineAlonline Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was using the new Now TV box with plex, worked fine for the first week or so and began the problem, hoped on here and went into the menu and rebooted the box, problem solved.

• TerramadreTerramadre Posts: 2Members

U> @PHILIP BODENHORN said:

Well trial and failure allowed me to plug my former 'Recently Viewed' videos to the PLEX app on ROKU.  Now when I play it I receive a solid purple screen indicating "H(?)DCP Unauthorized.  Content Disabled" while the audio portion is still playing over it.  OK...any ideas on this failure?  Thanks!

• TerramadreTerramadre Posts: 2Members

Older roku seems to be needing reboot more often. This issue also solved by simple reboot for me. Just unplug for 10+ secs and plug back in. I've also noticed several other folks finding issue with their HDMI connection/cord.

• bluetbabluetba Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Old thread I know but I stumbled across it trying to sort out the same issue on my nowtv, and changing the HDMI cable worked.

• maronoff999maronoff999 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just got a new Samsung 4K TV and a Roku Premiere+ and am having this problem but only with Plex playing back 4K videos.

Amazon and Netflix 4K streams play without issue. But when I try to play a 4K file with Plex I get the HDCP purple screen.

This makes it seem like something other than a cable or network issue. Has anyone else had this same behavior? Any suggestions?

I would try changing the HDMI cable before try anything more complex. I just found a cable was causing an issue where only one of my Roku 3s was failing to play audio on only the first season of only one TV show.

I have no idea exactly why or how but I have verified that the cable caused the problem and putting it back in place causes the problem to reappear.

BTW: connecting the "bad" cable to another Roku 3 does not cause problems so the combo of one cable with one Roku causes the audio not to play while the video plays fine on only one small subset of videos. I have no idea of the "why" and I don't really care as everything is working well now so there is no reason to further troubleshoot. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have retired the "bad" cable, just in case.

• maronoff999maronoff999 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2016

OK, so this is super strange. I have 3 ripped 4K Blu-Ray files on my Plex server PC. I had never tried paying them on my PC but after the problems with the HDCP error above I played 2 and they worked.

I then went back to the Roku in the Living Room planning on trying to switch cables, but the files worked! But the third file still did not. So I went back to the PC, played just a moment to verify it worked and then closed Plex locally and went back to the Living Room and it works now too!

I am so confused. I will see if this behavior survives a reboot or not. Strange.

@maronoff999 said:
    OK, so this is super strange. I have 3 ripped 4K Blu-Ray files on my Plex server PC. I had never tried paying them on my PC but after the problems with the HDCP error above I played 2 and they worked.

I then went back to the Roku in the Living Room planning on trying to switch cables, but the files worked! But the third file still did not. So I went back to the PC, played just a moment to verify it worked and then closed Plex locally and went back to the Living Room and it works now too!

I am so confused. I will see if this behavior survives a reboot or not. Strange.

As I implied in my earlier post if something is not working and then starts working it is not needed to understand the "why." If it is now working it is best to just accept that as fact and go with the flow.

Sometime the workings of the universe should remain mysterious and shrouded in the clouds of magic. Often trying to test and understand the "why" cause the problem to reappear and once it is resurrected a few times it can become harder to kill than Freddy, Jason and Michael combined with a some Alien and Predator thrown in.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,835Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Looks like Roku is aware of the issue, hopefully similar. https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97762

Some mention it happens in various channels but not others and hot swapping the cable is a "workaround" as crazy as that sounds

We're looking into the issue. Some customers have seen success (as a work-around) by hot-swapping the HDMI cord (unplug it from the TV, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in).

• jhakala1963jhakala1963 Posts: 3Members

Ran into this problem on my roku 2 and vizio t.v. solved it by setting the roku to 1020 dpi. It was set to 720 while going through an ebox which converted it to 1020. In case this helps someone else.

meant to say xbox, not ebox

also meant 1080 dpi not 1020