Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Serenity for Android 1.8.0 in development

kingargylekingargyle Members Posts: 561 ✭✭

Just wanted to drop a note that 1.8.x is under development right now.  This is primarily getting things cleaned up for some future re-design work and support for Android TV.   The biggest change is that instead of emulating an actionbar, I'm moving the app to use the built in actionbar, along with the DrawerLayout pattern.

For most users, you won't notice a whole lot of difference in functionality, but for Amazon Fire TV users you may notice some differences.  In fact, I'm going to need some people with Amazon Fire TVs to test out the new design before I release it to the Amazon App store.   I'm hoping that I don't have to do too many changes to make it work on the Amazon Fire TV, but since I don't have a device to test with, I need some volunteers to test.

Some of the upcoming changes:

1. Move to DrawerLayout pattern.

2. Embedded Category, Sub Category, Subtitle Selection, etc into the ActionBar.

3. Transparent Action Bar for the full screen look and feel.

4. Better integration on tablets.

5. Progress bars are now in the action bar and don't block the screen or UI.

I hope to have M1 out before the weekend is out, keep any eye on the forum for more info.

Comments

• kingargylekingargyle Members Posts: 561 ✭✭

1.8.0-M1 is available for testing.  I'm going through and testing it on all the devices I have.  I've found a big issue on OUYA so, users on that platform should stick with 1.7.4-M3 for the time being.   There are other minor UI issues on other platforms but functionally everything works.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/wiki/Downloads#180-m1-

1.8.0-M2 is available.

This is primarily a bug fix release and stability improvements across all supported platforms.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/wiki/Downloads#180-m2-

Biggest change here is to address the way External Players update the watch status.  If it is just the system default player being used, videos will no longer be marked as watched.  This provides consistency with the way the official plex client behaves.   Supported External players like MX Player will still update the metadata correctly, if they are selected as the Preferred external play in Serenity.

Overscan compensation also now correctly adjusts the size of the screen.  This is primarily needed for Ouya, Android HDMI sticks, and Amazon Fire TV devices.

• dlanordlanor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,215 Plex Pass
    In your previous release post you mentioned an OUYA-specific problem in 1.8.0-M1.
    Has that problem been fixed in 1.8.0-M2 ?

In this new release post you mention "Supported External players like MX Player".
    Does that mean that 'MX Player' is no longer the only supported external player ?
    (It seems to be implied by that phrasing, but not in a conclusive manner.)

I do use 'MX Player' myself, but I'd like to be aware of all alternatives.

Best regards: dlanor
    dlanor wrote on July 22 2014, 8:31 AM: »

In your previous release post you mentioned an OUYA-specific problem in 1.8.0-M1.
    Has that problem been fixed in 1.8.0-M2 ?

In this new release post you mention "Supported External players like MX Player".
    Does that mean that 'MX Player' is no longer the only supported external player ?
    (It seems to be implied by that phrasing, but not in a conclusive manner.)

I do use 'MX Player' myself, but I'd like to be aware of all alternatives.

There are two supported external players.  MX Player and ViMu Player.   ViMu is primarily on Google TV devices, and Amazon Fire TV.   

ViMu may also work on other devices.

1.8.0-M2 addresses the issues with the overscan wizard not working correctly on the OUYA, so yes, the OUYA related issues are addressed.

• coops1967coops1967 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 48 Plex Pass

A big, big thankyou for Serenity...

i'd bought a Minix Neo x8-h as i though it would be the final and best option for a plex client - as it's Android/google tv based and has a plex app for it. Inexplicably the plex app transcodes everything and subtitle syning becomes fouled up also.

Your Serenity however works as Plex intends... Use the mx player with dts codec also, and no problem - no transcoding and updated watch/resume etc to an ipad etc. Better subtitle options too.

Thanks!

1.8.0-M3 is now ready.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/wiki/Downloads#180-m3-

• New : Add ability to get to Settings from Slide out Navigation Menu
    • New : Add Android TV specific launcher ico
    • New : Upgrade Logos to use Material Design styling.
    • New : On Screen Display time for the internal player is now configurable. Default is 5 seconds before it disappears.
    • Fix issue with dual progress bars being displayed in Actionbar.

This is a release candidate version.  If no major issues I'll release to the Google Play and Amazon App stores in a few days.

• mjbxxmjbxx Dedicated Member Members, Plex Pass Posts: 920 Plex Pass
    kingargyle wrote on July 27 2014, 2:59 PM: »

1.8.0-M3 is now ready.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/wiki/Downloads#180-m3-

• New : Add ability to get to Settings from Slide out Navigation Menu

Not able to access Settings from the Slide out Navigation Menu in the Serenity home screen on the Fire TV. Can only access Settings when in a Plex Library. Hope you can add this option to the Serenity home screen as it would be more convenient and intuitive for gaining access to Settings.

mjbxx wrote on July 27 2014, 7:33 PM: »

Not able to access Settings from the Slide out Navigation Menu in the Serenity home screen on the Fire TV. Can only access Settings when in a Plex Library. Hope you can add this option to the Serenity home screen as it would be more convenient and intuitive for gaining access to Settings.

Yeah, currently, I haven't added it to the main menu screen.  The main reason is the Settings is one of the horizontal options, and is the first and only option if you have no server discovered (sometimes the autodiscovery doesn't work depending on how your network is configured).   

I will consider adding it in a 1.8.1 release, as I do some further refactorings to support a different design for the main screen.

• dlanordlanor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,215 Plex Pass
    kingargyle wrote on July 27 2014, 11:17 PM: »

Yeah, currently, I haven't added it to the main menu screen.  The main reason is the Settings is one of the horizontal options, and is the first and only option if you have no server discovered (sometimes the autodiscovery doesn't work depending on how your network is configured).

I agree that it should remain in the main menu, so that menu never gets empty (would probably cause a 'focus' problem).
    But that's no reason to not have the ability to open the settings submenu through another command, such as a command in a side menu.

I will consider adding it in a 1.8.1 release, as I do some further refactorings to support a different design for the main screen.

Fine, though I don't see why the addition of a second command to open the settings menu would require any change of main menu.
    When it comes to ways of reaching configuration menus I feel that "the more the merrier".

dlanor wrote on July 28 2014, 2:31 PM: »

I agree that it should remain in the main menu, so that menu never gets empty (would probably cause a 'focus' problem).
    But that's no reason to not have the ability to open the settings submenu through another command, such as a command in a side menu.

Fine, though I don't see why the addition of a second command to open the settings menu would require any change of main menu.
    When it comes to ways of reaching configuration menus I feel that "the more the merrier".

It isn't so much the reconfiguration issue, there is just a slight code change to have the MainActivity to extend the new DrawerLayoutActivity, and do some slight changes to get the settings menu option added, and a slight refactoring of the layout xml file to include the layout that includes the necessary side menu that has the settings in it. 

At most an hours worth of work.  It should be in there for 1.8.1.   

1.8 working great on my Minix Neo x8-h.

One request - in the home videos, would it be possible to sort by folder as available under Plex? Gets a real mess as a list.

thanks again... Only thing needed is the update for the Minix to clean up some graphics processing issues and ethernet.

coops1967 wrote on July 29 2014, 12:07 PM: »

1.8 working great on my Minix Neo x8-h.

One request - in the home videos, would it be possible to sort by folder as available under Plex? Gets a real mess as a list.

thanks again... Only thing needed is the update for the Minix to clean up some graphics processing issues and ethernet.

Tracking this request at the following issue:

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/issues/258

edited August 2014

Just found an issue with subtitles - mkv files from blu- ray, h264 and dts, with subtitles in the container ( and external srt files also in the synology). The Plex client on ipad can select this subtitle, as well as the external srt subtitle, whereas Serenity only shows the srt file as available in detail view.

I've extracted all the internal srt's as they are synced better than the sickbeard sourced external ones - but is it possible to get the in container subtitles available in Serenity?

thanks again.

edited August 2014
    coops1967 wrote on August 1 2014, 7:31 AM: »

Just found an issue with subtitles - mkv files from blu- ray, h264 and dts, with subtitles in the container ( and external srt files also in the synology). The Plex client on ipad can select this subtitle, as well as the external srt subtitle, whereas Serenity only shows the srt file as available in detail view.

I've extracted all the internal srt's as they are synced better than the sickbeard sourced external ones - but is it possible to get the in container subtitles available in Serenity?

thanks again.

The plex client recognizes the metadata the server sends. The server then transcodes the embedded subtitle when it sends it back.  Since Serenity doesn't support transcoding you need to use an external player like MX Player or ViMu in order to play back subtitles embedded in the MKV container.   Serenity only handles the external files by design as I didn't want to get into parsing the MKV container and extracting those out.

Use the latest development version of MX Player which has D-Pad support and you should be able to select that embedded Subtitle within MX Player to have it played.

Re subtitles - thanks!

previous version of mx player was awkward to get to video controls, now i've updated the d-pad control support is much better and i can now see where to select the subtitles etc. Excellent.