Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Scanner to Insert TV Show Specials Into Seasons (ie Battlestar or Dr Who)

Hi All,

I apologize in advanced if this has been covered in these forms, but I'm looking for a scanner that will embed Tv show specials (i.e. tv movies) into their proper seasons rather then a season 0.

For instance, in the 2003 Battlestar Galactica series, there are multiple tv movies or web series that tie directly into the show's continuity, and when I'm watching the series, I'd like those episodes to be in the correct season order, rather then season 0. So the Pilot mini series should show in Season 1 before S01E01, and a tv movie such as Razor, should appear during season 4 (or 5 as this bridged the gap). 

With series like Doctor Who (2005) I'd love for the Christmas specials to be embedded inside the appropriate season that they wrapped out of rather then season 0.

I know older versions of plex (v 8) used to be able to do this automatically, but I'm not seeing a way to do it in the current version.

Perhaps this is absolute ordering? However, I've been unable to S-Babs or ABSTVDb to function in my library. Or is this a function of a metadata agent and not the scanner?

My media is currently in the Series/Season/S0XEXX format.

Thanks for all help in advanced!

Tagged:

Comments

• trudgetrudge Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,188 Plex Pass
    edited July 2014
    fkick wrote on July 20 2014, 11:45 PM: »

Hi All,

I apologize in advanced if this has been covered in these forms, but I'm looking for a scanner that will embed Tv show specials (i.e. tv movies) into their proper seasons rather then a season 0.

For instance, in the 2003 Battlestar Galactica series, there are multiple tv movies or web series that tie directly into the show's continuity, and when I'm watching the series, I'd like those episodes to be in the correct season order, rather then season 0. So the Pilot mini series should show in Season 1 before S01E01, and a tv movie such as Razor, should appear during season 4 (or 5 as this bridged the gap). 

With series like Doctor Who (2005) I'd love for the Christmas specials to be embedded inside the appropriate season that they wrapped out of rather then season 0.

I know older versions of plex (v 8) used to be able to do this automatically, but I'm not seeing a way to do it in the current version.

Perhaps this is absolute ordering? However, I've been unable to S-Babs or ABSTVDb to function in my library. Or is this a function of a metadata agent and not the scanner?

My media is currently in the Series/Season/S0XEXX format.

Thanks for all help in advanced!

you don't need a scanner or an agent to make this work, the data is already in Plex (if you watch the entire series via onDeck, all the specials get inserted at the correct times)

This is down to how Plex present the season data to the clients via their API, and they have noted this is something they want to improve on.

• fkickfkick Members Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Bob Snot wrote on July 21 2014, 12:02 AM: »

you don't need a scanner or an agent to make this work, the data is already in Plex (if you watch the entire series via onDeck, all the specials get inserted at the correct times)

This is down to how Plex present the season data to the clients via their API, and they have noted this is something they want to improve on.

Thanks Bob,

As I usually don't use the "On Deck" feature to view episodes (I like to see synopsis etc) would a custom scanner be the way to go? I'd even be happy if visiting the "all episodes" section it would order appropriately, which if Plex is already pulling the correct information (for the on deck function) this should be relatively easy to do, no?

• BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,614 Plex Employee

for that particular show Battlestar I made the Miniseries  S01E00 so it shows up at the beginning of season 1 and for Razor I called it S04E00 so it shows at beginning of season 4 where it should be in my mind.

I but i know there are other specials and webisodes which go in the middle of seasons (Dr Who). I thought there is a feature request already to use the Airs Before/after that thetvdb has but can't find the thread at the moment. 

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • fkickfkick Members Posts: 131 ✭✭
    BigWheel wrote on July 21 2014, 1:45 AM: »

for that particular show Battlestar I made the Miniseries  S01E00 so it shows up at the beginning of season 1 and for Razor I called it S04E00 so it shows at beginning of season 4 where it should be in my mind.

I but i know there are other specials and webisodes which go in the middle of seasons (Dr Who). I thought there is a feature request already to use the Airs Before/after that thetvdb has but can't find the thread at the moment. 

Thanks Bigwheel,

This does indeed work for specials that air at the beginning or the end of seasons. I wonder if there's a way to insert mid season as well.

• Dr PepperDr Pepper Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

+1

BigWheel wrote on July 21 2014, 1:45 AM: »

It would be great if specials could be added to the right position in the seasons using the "airs before/after" info!

And maybe also while being still accessible trough "Season 0". (So that  every special would appear once in season 0 and once in the season during which it aired)

• SunMarSunMar Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass
    fkick wrote on July 21 2014, 2:16 AM: »

Thanks Bigwheel,

This does indeed work for specials that air at the beginning or the end of seasons. I wonder if there's a way to insert mid season as well.

Yes it works, but my experience is that then the episode info like title and synopsis is lost because it can't match the episode with thetvdb. I too would like it if there's a possibility to put specials in a particular season. For example Doctor Who specials have an episode number on thetvdb, why not be able to force them into a particular season in Plex by naming them S<season you want the special to show in>S<special number>, so for example you could name special 83 The Day of the Doctor (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=78804&seasonid=26260&lid=7) as S07S83, that way Plex knows to show it under season 7 and it knows that it's a special and what special it is to get info of from thetvdb. The next step then is to make sure the mid-season specials get shown correctly in-between the regular episodes.

• A_3_Headed_MonkeyA_3_Headed_Monkey Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

If Plex could just include the "air date" data from TVDB against the info for each file (including specials and episodes). Then give users an option to select "Display by Air Date" as a filter for each TV Show in the filter options, which would rather than just group the episodes for each TV show purely by the season file naming convention (ie. S00Exx, S01Exx, S02Exx, etc), resulting in the current groups "All, Specials, Season 1, Season 2 etc",
    INSTEAD when the option is selected would in "ALL" list every associated file (Specials, Extras and Episodes) for that TV show by air date, and in each "Season" jump to the specific section of the "All" list for that season, using the Episode 1 for that season as a start marker, but still show the one previous file as well. That way if there is a special for that season before the E01, you would still see it as the previous item from the list - or else you would just see the last episode from the previous season if there is no special.
    Specials without an official air date would be positioned according to their file name, as in this case either the air date isn't important (like generic series special), or else you name it to play just before the next named special which "does" have an air date (or if no next special "WITH" an air date, will just end up at the end of the "ALL" list).

...but I'm sure the Plex brains already are working on a solution.... and now I'm just going on and on...

• Shado UrufuShado Urufu Members Posts: 4 ✭✭

@trudge said:

I have not used the 'on deck' feature much, so please correct me if i'm wrong.
    I usually go and start my shows from their respective areas [Ex: if I were to watch Bleach, I'd go to the bleach section, click on season 1, and then 'Watch all'] because i generally sit down for long, continuous sessions. [Say, I watch 5 and 1/2 show one day, and then decide to start it again a few days later from the same spot.]
    I feel as if the 'On Deck' method, however, does not give that continuous flow of episodes. So for me, I would prefer it if I were to watch an entire season of bleach, that the movie would pop up automatically at the required section.

Or, if i were to start a season of Doctor Who, I'd want the Christmas special to automatically play at the beginning of the season [As I may watch the seasons out of order] instead of having to go to season 0 to find the respective episode, or relyign on the 'On Deck' to give me the proper one.

• pattuluspattulus Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

I just wanted throw in my weight as a Plex Pass user. Specials should be shown inside the corresponding season instead of a dedicated specials folder.

This has been discussed for years, but Plex won't adapt… which is kind of sad. I'd rather see old things fixed than new features added.

• ZeroQIZeroQI Members Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭
    edited April 20

My absolute series scanner (link in signature) also works with season numbering has a mode called tvdb5 which use the chronological order set in thetvdb, which was done for star wrs clone wars specifically as the first episode was s02e14 which is messed up....try to label your folder xxxxx [tvdb5-yyyyyy] with xxxxsx the title and yyyyy the tvdb id... the scanner will remove the seasons and order them by chronological order... I am not sure if it will inser the special but it should, or i could mod it to do so. It also include custom logging so i could troubleshoot if needed....

Some may like tvdb2 mode which transform an absolutely numbered season into season numbering as per thetvdb...

Absolute Series Scanner (ASS): Seasons+Absolute mode series scanner managing subdirectories and AniDB type specials,with a logging off all files (skipped on top of root folder, then sorted one line per file with regex used and info, all series sorted alphabetically) and one with the filelist to reproduce the library on my end with dummy files. It also add all files and recognise specials pretty accurately.

http AniDB Metadata Agent (HAMA): Some good info there, will have to re-write it at some point... Data folders are kinda mandatory... Huge libraries can fetch 10gb in space. If you have no poster but other metadata is showing, create "Plug-in Support/Data/com.plexapp.agents.hama/DataItems" agent folders as indicated in the readme on GitHub

Impressed by the agent recognition rate? Consider donating few euros through Paypal: Absolute Series Scanner + HTTP AniDB Metadata Agent. (List of all donators: Niegen, Vorador, Fratal, T. Mayville,  A. Estremera, KJKingJ. Thanks guys)