Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Android App] nuVue for Plex - your media server sidekick

rwhaphamrwhapham Posts: 231 Plex Pass

nuVue is a companion app for Plex users that displays rich notifications when new items are added. There is nothing additional to install on your Plex servers. Just sign in with your Plex.tv credentials and nuVue does the rest.

Official Website

Play Store

Amazon App Store

• Rich notifications for newly added media
  • See recently added media
  • See TV series and movies that are in-progress
  • See what is currently playing
  • Perfect for cord-cutters and automated downloads
  • Send messages to shared library users and owners
  • Forward notifications via email (premium feature)
  • Quick and easy playback on connected clients
  • Supports multiple Plex servers
  • Supports shared libraries from other users
  • Advanced filtering for servers, libraries, and TV series
  • Automatically handles both local and remote connections
  • Easy setup--just sign in to Plex.tv and go
Be sure and join the Google community to read about future development, and submit bug reports and feature requests: http://plus.google.com/communities/115195631692310173087

Because it has been requested, donations to the project outside of just buying the app can be made via PayPal: nuVue for Plex

features.png

Comments

• David SnyderDavid Snyder Posts: 1,484 Plex Pass

Very nice, rwhapham.  I use Pushover already so I'm not sure I'd switch to this but I love the look, idea and effort.  Assuming it works well, nice job!  I'll definitely give it a spin when you release.

• trampi3trampi3 Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Looks awesome! Sign me up. :)

• MAJ-5MAJ-5 Posts: 80 Plex Pass

Looking forward to try it out!

• rwhaphamrwhapham Posts: 231 Plex Pass
    edited July 2014

nuVue is now live in the Play Store.  See the original post for details. (Now if I could just figure out how to change the post title.)

• JimBurlisonJimBurlison Plex Notify Creator Posts: 902 Plex Pass
    edited July 2014

Just bought it. Looks great nice app!

It crashed on me, I sent the report in, looks like a null pointer exception.

JBurlison@Gmail.com wrote on July 23 2014, 8:59 PM: »

Wow...a very inauspicious first launch.   :mellow:   I'm looking into it right now.

JBurlison@Gmail.com wrote on July 23 2014, 8:59 PM: »

Ok...just pushed an update to the Play Store.  My guess is that it was crashing because you had TV episode(s) that didn't report an original air date in the XML.  Unfortunately, it'll take a little bit for the change to actually make it live.  Why is it always the stray missed test case that someone encounters immediately? :)

• hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,341 Plex Ninja

I have a suggestion regarding servers, is it possible to select which servers you see notifications from.

I have several shared with me that I may not want to see the updates from.

hthighway wrote on July 23 2014, 9:23 PM: »

I have a suggestion regarding servers, is it possible to select which servers you see notifications from.

I have several shared with me that I may not want to see the updates from.

I had originally started with a design allowing the user to pick servers and libraries to monitor, but felt it added complexity to setting the app up.  But now that it's out the door and I can focus on roadmap development, I'm open to bringing the idea back as an advanced setup option.

• hthighwayhthighway Posts: 6,341 Plex Ninja

Or possibly if there are no new items just don't display that server in the list when you are in "group by server" mode.

rwhapham wrote on July 23 2014, 9:23 PM: »

Ok...just pushed an update to the Play Store.  My guess is that it was crashing because you had TV episode(s) that didn't report an original air date in the XML.  Unfortunately, it'll take a little bit for the change to actually make it live.  Why is it always the stray missed test case that someone encounters immediately? :)

Same issue here - same error.  Assuming the update isn't live yet.  No worries though, great responsiveness on your part.  

Even if I don't end up using this (and likely won't) happy to give you the $ and encourage development.  The lack of development on Android for Plex apps or tools always surprises me given there is so much potential.  So good on you man, thanks for your contribution!

I'll definitely recommend it to everyone I know that I share my server with and who uses Android.  It'll be a great tool for them. 

edited July 2014
    David S wrote on July 23 2014, 10:15 PM: »

Same issue here - same error. Assuming the update isn't live yet. No worries though, great responsiveness on your part.

Even if I don't end up using this (and likely won't) happy to give you the $ and encourage development. The lack of development on Android for Plex apps or tools always surprises me given there is so much potential. So good on you man, thanks for your contribution!

I'll definitely recommend it to everyone I know that I share my server with and who uses Android. It'll be a great tool for them.

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. It's highly appreciated. As for the crash, it's fixed in 1.0.2. So if yours hasn't been updated to that version yet, it's on its way.
    edited July 2014
    rwhapham wrote on July 23 2014, 10:33 PM: »

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. It's highly appreciated. As for the crash, it's fixed in 1.0.2. So if yours hasn't been updated to that version yet, it's on its way.

Update fixed it.  App works completely as advertised.  Very nice job man.

• dewddewd Posts: 484 Plex Pass

Installed and joined the G+ group.  I'll play with it later.  

Thanks for creating this.

Started a Trello board to keep track of feature requests, bug reports, and other roadmap items. It won't be a free for all, but I will put most if not all user submissions on there.

Trello board nuVue for Plex - https://trello.com/b/slbsUoiA/nuvue-for-plex
  • WeeflixWeeflix Posts: 237 Plex Pass

Just bought the app, very slick.

a few request:

1) Is there a way just enable notifications for specific media type like movies and not tv shows?  Some of my users may not get want to see all the notifications for the many tv shows that gets added.

2) Is there a way users can just pick what tv shows they want to receive a notification of new episodes?  User_01 would love to know when the new episode of Survivor is available to watch but don't really care when there's a new episode of American Idol.

Thank you!

bauerknight wrote on July 24 2014, 3:46 AM: »

Just bought the app, very slick.

a few request:

1) Is there a way just enable notifications for specific media type like movies and not tv shows? Some of my users may not get want to see all the notifications for the many tv shows that gets added.
    2) Is there a way users can just pick what tv shows they want to receive a notification of new episodes? User_01 would love to know when the new episode of Survivor is available to watch but don't really care when there's a new episode of American Idol.

Thank you!

Your requests have been added to the Trello board. Thanks.
  • JimBurlisonJimBurlison Plex Notify Creator Posts: 902 Plex Pass
    rwhapham wrote on July 23 2014, 9:23 PM: »

If there is one thing I learned frm Plex Notify is the XML from PMS does not always contain all the nodes and the attributes/nodes do not consistant data types. None of the attributes/nodes are 100% garenteed.

edited July 2014
    JBurlison@Gmail.com wrote on July 24 2014, 1:04 PM: »

If there is one thing I learned frm Plex Notify is the XML from PMS does not always contain all the nodes and the attributes/nodes do not consistant data types. None of the attributes/nodes are 100% garenteed.

Seeing that the web API and XML results are relatively undocumented, I'd say that's fair enough behavior for PMS. I'll just have to put more sanity checks in in the future where I'm expecting to do more with the XML data than just display it as-is.  Thanks for the heads-up, though.

• MAJ-5MAJ-5 Posts: 80 Plex Pass
    edited July 2014
    rwhapham wrote on July 23 2014, 6:58 PM: »

nuVue is now live in the Play Store.  See the original post for details. (Now if I could just figure out how to change the post title.)

Just bought it, very smooth experience so far, yet to try out the notifications (Currently using PlexNotify with Pushover to push new additions).

Things to consider:

1. Add Settings to control the number of Recent Additions (in the App I see way too many of recently added TV Shows grouped as Today, Yesterday, This Week, Last Week, Older). It makes scrolling too bulky when there are too many recent additions, especially in the TV Shows Section.

2. Is it possible to add click on show / movie interface to check:

-- Plot

-- IMDB / RT Ratings

-- Watch Trailer for Movies

-- Navigate or List Available Files in the "X" Plex Server of a particular TV Show

3. Adding Communities in the App (Server Admin + Server Users) : Allowing the server admin to push customized notifications to the "X" Plex Server community through NuVue (ex, server is down for maintenance).

That would help us in encouraging friends & family to get NuVue in order to be part of the "X" Server Community, for an effective and efficient admin/users relationship.

Regardless of the above, great App!! Keep up the good work :)