If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Feature Request: Read Audio and Subtitle Track Names

randybruderrandybruder Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have quite a few movies with two or more English audio tracks, the movie dialogue and a commentary track. Both have their language set to English and have track names.

For example, the movie Primer has 3 audio tracks: "Movie Audio", "Commentary by Writer & Director Shane Carruth", and "Director, Cast and Crew Commentary. Programs like VLC read these names and show them in the audio track selection dialogue. Plex only shows three English audio tracks, with no differentiation (other than number of channels).

The same thing happens with subtitles. A lot of films have two English subtitle tracks, one for all dialogue, and another for only the foreign dialogue. Another example: The movie Taken has 4 subtitle tracks: an English "Non English Parts" (with forced flag enabled), an English subtitle track, and a French and Spanish subtitle track. Again, Plex shows no differentiation in the two English tracks.

So the feature request would be for Plex to read the track names and display them through the various interfaces. In addition, being able to show forced subtitles by default would be nice.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• inspirementinspirement Posts: 3Members Plex Pass

+1.

I wanna bump this as it's is the only feature that I desperately miss at the moment. I already have all my subtitles named and ready for this feature to be implemented. Would also like to clarify that this is for MKV's (for me at least. Assume that it's the same for the OP.)

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,177Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

+1. This would be very helpful in differentiating between audio tracks. Now I just try one at a time until I get what I am looking for. 

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• rafaelmathieurafaelmathieu Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1

That would be great. Or the ability to rename them at will.

• jdc0730jdc0730 Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1

• lucaseclucasec Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass

I'm going to +1 this as well.  This feature would complement Plex's fairly new movie extras feature, as many DVDs and Blu-Rays include extra content in the form of additional audio tracks.

• itea_1itea_1 Posts: 1Members

Really waiting for that too. VLC already the name track. So I think it should not take too many time to implement. The current display could be a fallback in case no name can be found.

• eRadicanteRadicant Posts: 16Members ✭✭

+1, isn't an unreasonable request

Read audio and subtitle track titles from containers which support this feature

• sbrisson1sbrisson1 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for this feature.

Always have to play each track of same language to find which one I want.

• awardaward Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Me too! Here's another subtitles example: sing-along tracks, such as on Grease.

• Doctor NickDoctor Nick Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OH MY GOD PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,122Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 2015

There is already a request for this in the 'Feature and Bug Voting' subforum.

So all users with a plex pass go over there and vote on it by liking the first post.

Do add a post yourselves nonetheless, to bump the topic to the fore.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • SkeezixSkeezix Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Desperately needed. It seems really weird it isn't implemented already.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,122Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Skeezix wrote on June 13 2015, 1:46 AM: »

Desperately needed. It seems really weird it isn't implemented already.

It is already implemented. The names are just not exposed in the user interfaces.

If you access the mediainfo of a movie, you can see the titles.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • SkeezixSkeezix Posts: 11Members ✭✭
    OttoKerner wrote on June 13 2015, 11:03 AM: »

It is already implemented. The names are just not exposed in the user interfaces.

If you access the mediainfo of a movie, you can see the titles.

That doesn't count as implementing it. If I'm going to the trouble of doing that, I can just as easily open it in MediaInfo from the Explorer. The point is that I want to be able to select at a glance the right track from the user interface.

• deadman36gdeadman36g Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This would be great for me as well +1

• cloudstriker83cloudstriker83 Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1
    Just a simple "if title is set for an audio or subtitle track in database/xml/mediainfo: display it in selection"

• mortenfirstmortenfirst Posts: 12Members ✭✭

+1
    I would really like this too

• mixmasterbrockmixmasterbrock Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1
    Would also like to be able to edit that metadata in the GUI

• 8PY5pI1eO38PY5pI1eO3 Posts: 1Members

+1
    This would be incredible.

• forcemaster89forcemaster89 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Absolutely +1. This is the most lacking feature of Plex at the moment.