If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

5.1 Audio w/ Plex & PS4

incloudincloud Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Hello to all here, I am a new user of Plex and must say it is outstanding software. The point in my thread is to figure out how and why I am having strange issues regarding 5.1 surround sound and the lack of. First things first, my set up and components are as follows:

• Windows 8 PC (Asus Formula VI MB, i7 4770k, 24GB Ram, Samsung Evo Pro SSD (OS), 4TB Raid0 Media, GTX 560ti)
  • Sony PS4 Console 
  • Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro 
  • Samsung 55" HDTV

That said, all of my movies are transcoded to m2ts for the PS3 and have always played with 5.1 audio on the PS3. Since I started using Plex and going through the PS4, which I love, a majority of my movies that are 5.1 come through in 2 channel only. I do not understand why some work correctly and some do not regardless of format DTS, AC3, AAC. It would be one thing if a certain format was not working but some movies that say DTS work, some that say AC3 work and some that say AAC work. Unfortunately not all are working and I have tried multiple encoders including Handbrake with a multitude of settings with odd results. If I run Handbrake and it works for one movie and then use the exact settings for another the sound still comes through in 2 channel. I have been researching and studying the internet trying to figure this out on my own for close to 3 weeks now and am at my wits end. I'm not sure if it is the PC, the PS4, UMC or Plex causing the issue and have high hopes that this is simply a configuration error somewhere. As much as I love the software, if I can not utilize my home theater with high quality surround sound without jumping through hoops and hoping each transcode comes through in 5.1 just to be let down, back to my old setup I go. One last thing is I hear a lot about the Plex Pass and am wondering what the advantage is to having one? Thanks in advance for any and all replies, truly appreciate the support!

Incloud Design

| UMC-200 | LPA-1 | XPA-100 | CSI A6 Center | RTI A5 Mains | RTI A3 Surrounds | SVS PB-2000 | PS4 | Samsung 55" UN55C6300 HDTV |

Comments

• incloudincloud Posts: 10Members ✭✭

*Bump*

Incloud Design

| UMC-200 | LPA-1 | XPA-100 | CSI A6 Center | RTI A5 Mains | RTI A3 Surrounds | SVS PB-2000 | PS4 | Samsung 55" UN55C6300 HDTV |

• BreezytmBreezytm Posts: 993Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2014

Sounds like there is a misconfiguration somewhere on your setup. Please share you setup.

Do you have the ps4 connect directly to a tv or is connected to a receiver. For 5.1 sound you would need a receiver. Also what type of physical media are you using. HDMI would be the recommended choice. When you play video games in your ps4, does it come out in all 6 channels?

Also read this article, It may answer your question. According to it, the issue is in the PS4 end. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Dolby-5-1-via-HDMI-on-PS4/td-p/42123275/page/13

but in this one people say you can output 5.1 http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/PS4-audio-problems/td-p/42169325/page/40

• incloudincloud Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Thanks for the reply and I did share my setup in the initial post along with an explanation of exactly how I am running it. I am going from my Windows PC with Plex to a PS4 then to an Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro which is more than capable of playing all the latest formats up to 7.1. And I am using all top of the line HDMI cables and accessories.

Incloud Design

• BreezytmBreezytm Posts: 993Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    incloud wrote on August 13 2014, 10:25 PM: »

Thanks for the reply and I did share my setup in the initial post along with an explanation of exactly how I am running it. I am going from my Windows PC with Plex to a PS4 then to an Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro which is more than capable of playing all the latest formats up to 7.1. And I am using all top of the line HDMI cables and accessories.

I read what you wrote. What I meant by setup is something similar to this example

PS4 --> Receiver --> TV [HDMI to receiver]

or

PS4 --> TV --> Receiver [Optical cable to receiver]

Anyway, have you visited the links I sent you? I think the solution to your issue lies in there, not plex.
  • intoxicatorintoxicator Posts: 6Members ✭✭

I have the same problem and this thread along with the other threads are quite old now but I can't get 5.1 on the PS4 using Plex :(

It works perfectly when I play FIFA or any other game! You can hear the crowd in the speakers around the whole room but when I watched a movie last night it only came out in the left & right channel :(

I have the PS4 --> Receiver --> TV all with good HDMI cables if that info was necessary?!

• stigbullstigbull Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
    intoxicator wrote on November 12 2014, 11:43 PM: »

I have the same problem and this thread along with the other threads are quite old now but I can't get 5.1 on the PS4 using Plex :(

It works perfectly when I play FIFA or any other game! You can hear the crowd in the speakers around the whole room but when I watched a movie last night it only came out in the left & right channel :(

I have the PS4 --> Receiver --> TV all with good HDMI cables if that info was necessary?!

The problem is that as of yet, you need to access and view Plex via the PS4's web browser. Herein lies the limit to 2.0 audio.

Hopefully we will soon see a native PS4 Plex app, and this will solve the 5.1 audio problem.

• r4k373r4k373 Posts: 6Members

I would like to know if this 5.1 issue is now solved with the PS4 Plex App?

I dont wanna buy the Premium Membership and having the same issue as i have for free with not having 5.1 Audio?

Can anyone report please who got the Premium Membership and is streaming over the official PS4 App ?

Thanks

• popeye350popeye350 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have downloaded the PS4 Plex App and have had no luck with 5.1 audio.

Has anyone else had any luck?

• zonearczonearc Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having that same issue popeye350. Sony PS4 plays 5.1 just fine from Netflix and Plex plays 5.1 fine on my Amazon Fire TV, but  ... the Plex app on PS4 shows everything as Stereo. I played with its settings as well as the PS4 and I couldn't get it to play anything in surround. 

Is this a known issue? 

• uienvyuienvy Posts: 1Members Plex Pass

Same as zonearc...any fix yet?

• DulanicDulanic Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2015

Same issue here... Plex works on other devices in 5.1. PS4 gets 5.1 in all other apps. Plex on PS4 gets 2.0 :( This is with Plex Pass also.

• jotsaroopjotsaroop Posts: 9Members Plex Pass

I am having same problem too.....

• seefilmsseefilms Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

has this been fixed?

OS: unRAID 6.2.4 | MOBO: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O | CPU: Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 | HBA: SAS Cards 2x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 | HBA: SAS Cards 2x Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 | PARITY: 3TB WD Green WD30EZRX/3TB WD RED WD30EFRX | CACHE: 1TB WD Black WD1002FAEX | DATA: 6x 3TB WD Red WD30EFRX, 2x 3TB WD Green WD30EZRX, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 | CASE: Norco 4224 w/ 120mm bracket | POWER Corsair Pro Gold AX850

• GDLLCGDLLC Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Works for me.
    Plex Server -> Wireless -> PS4 plex app -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-375 -> HDMI -> TV.

• jaswymanjaswyman Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Interesting. I have the same set-up (save for a Sony receiver) and it still doesn't work for me after all of this time. Games on the PS4 come through fine in 5.1. Happily, I usually use Plex on my Roku 3, but there are times I'd like to use it on the PS4.

• scott0baileyscott0bailey Posts: 7Members ✭✭

Has this been addressed? Plex app on PS4 wont play ac3 5.1 but the same PS4 with Media Player works perfectly with Direct Play.

Any fix yet for AC3 5.1 with Plex on PS4 ????

• nader.eloshaikernader.eloshaiker Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a PS4 Pro and ac3 5.1 work in mkv but AAC5.1 in mp4 sounds terrible. Hope that helps.