If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Just purchased

ian78ian78 Posts: 234Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
I just purchased serenity because the android plex app stopped working for me

Serenity works but I have some issues

The fast forward and rewind on my harmony remote , which worked in plex, doesn't work with serenity
When I push the info of menu button during a movie I see the overlay info screen. I move the cursor to the FF or RW but I cannot select it. My select/enter key doesn't register and it did with plex
Also does serenity update the watched status etc on the plex server? So other plex users can resume? Because I started a movie in serenity , waited 2 minutes and started it in serenity again but I didn't have a resume option. Instead the movie started from the beginning again

Comments

• MoscardMoscard Posts: 128Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same for me.

I wanted to use internal player and now way to use "OK" (Enter) button, same for top and down.

These buttons are working just fine in MX Player, and XBMC, so I suppose this is a Serenity player Issue.

Do we have to open an issue?

• ian78ian78 Posts: 234Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Also I noticed the movie screen is not right. I did the overscan settings but a full screen movie is still not correct on left and right. And the bottom of the screen is not down far enough and I can see some blue ish type dots. How do I correct all of this
  • kingargylekingargyle Posts: 568Members ✭✭

Thanks for the bug reports.  I'll address the on Click for the FF and REW in a 1.8.2 release.   In the mean time you should be able to navigate up to the Progress Bar and press the D-PAD Left or D-PAD Right and it should advance.  I'm not familiar with the Harmony remote but if it has a Numeric keypad, you may be able to skip by percentage which is done pressing the appropriate number on the keypad.  1 = 10% of the video, 2 = 20%, etc.

As for the D-Pad OK, it depends on what value the Harmony remote is sending.  If you can provide me with the keycode mapping, I can try and simulate it in some unit tests to make sure that I catch the appropriate events.

As for the Movie screen, I don't believe it currently is taking into affect the Overscan settings so that is a bug.   Please open a bug report at the projects website so I can address this in 1.8.2

• unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,901Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I purchased it as well, and I'm not using it because it does not update watched status, which is very important for me. Also, I would love somehow to have on deck and recently added on the home screen somehow. If these two things get implemented, this will be my go to Plex app!
    unisonruss wrote on August 18 2014, 3:59 AM: »

I purchased it as well, and I'm not using it because it does not update watched status, which is very important for me. Also, I would love somehow to have on deck and recently added on the home screen somehow. If these two things get implemented, this will be my go to Plex app!

Watch status should be updating.   The internal player will update the content as it is playing.   If you are using an external player like MX Player, then you must specifically tell Serenity to use MX Player as the external player.  By default if an external player is used it uses the System Default player.  To choose either MX Player or MX Player Pro as the default external player.  Go to Settings->Preferred External Player->MX Player or MX Player Pro  (System Default is the default choice).

You should then get the progress and watch status being updated.

As for the OnDeck and Recently Added on Home screen.  I'm considering it.   With the upcoming Android TV support for googles replacement for Google TV.  I do have OnDeck being contributed to the Recommendations so they'll be easily accessible that way on Android TV devices.   

OnDeck has been requested for a while, https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/issues/81

If you are still having problems with Watched status let me know.

I've have the FF, REW, and Pause buttons now responding to onClick events.   I also did a tweak to the order in which overscan is done, that should hopefully help in that area as well.

I'll try and get a development build out in a day or two for testing.

• coops1967coops1967 Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2014

What Android player are you guys using?

I'm using a Minix Neo x8-h with Serenity and Mx player as external player, and use Harmony ultimate remote ok - i set the 'direction right' when playing as forward 10 sec, and the left goes back ( i think... Am away from home for 3 more weeks, but could go forward this way) and also got the remote to bring up a bottom menu bar to choose subtitles and position.

Worth noting that i'm also using a Flirc usb IR receiver, as the built in IR in the Minix is extremely weak ( i got a free wireless remote with the Minix which works great, but prefer just the one remote.) The flirc is programmed using the Plex keyboard shortcuts, see here

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201670487-Keyboard-Shortcuts

Sorry i can't give more details for a while...just remembered i added a keyboard device to the Harmony so it could be selected to send IR signals.

only minor niggle is the Harmony and Flirc when you press ok while playing a video, does NOT bring up the 'standard' Mx player d-pad menu for easy selection of ff, rew, subtitles and pause etc - it works through the built in IR receiver, but not with the Flirc although absolutely everything else is controlled fine with the keyboard shortcuts. weird.

• ian78ian78 Posts: 234Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    kingargyle wrote on August 18 2014, 3:09 AM: »

Thanks for the bug reports.  I'll address the on Click for the FF and REW in a 1.8.2 release.   In the mean time you should be able to navigate up to the Progress Bar and press the D-PAD Left or D-PAD Right and it should advance.  I'm not familiar with the Harmony remote but if it has a Numeric keypad, you may be able to skip by percentage which is done pressing the appropriate number on the keypad.  1 = 10% of the video, 2 = 20%, etc.

As for the D-Pad OK, it depends on what value the Harmony remote is sending.  If you can provide me with the keycode mapping, I can try and simulate it in some unit tests to make sure that I catch the appropriate events.

As for the Movie screen, I don't believe it currently is taking into affect the Overscan settings so that is a bug.   Please open a bug report at the projects website so I can address this in 1.8.2

Thanks for replying

I don't know the harmony key strokes because when I programmed it I just selected the Pivos Xios device under media center and it worked fine in plex app.
    Ok so my major issues are the remote, the overscan is huge and I would like more of a info screen like the plex app. I like grid view and when I select a movie it plays. I would like it to show a large poster and the metadata ex like plex app.
    My watched status is bring updated
    I have 3 main folders for my library
    Home videos
    Movies
    TV shows
    I would like to have the option of having "home videos" display as list and "movies" and "tv shows" show as grid
    ian78 wrote on August 18 2014, 10:26 PM: »

Ok so my major issues are the remote, the overscan is huge and I would like more of a info screen like the plex app. I like grid view and when I select a movie it plays. I would like it to show a large poster and the metadata ex like plex app.

My watched status is bring updated
    I have 3 main folders for my library
    Home videos
    Movies
    TV shows
    I would like to have the option of having "home videos" display as list and "movies" and "tv shows" show as grid

A List view has been requested in the past as well.  Please open a Feature request at the projects GitHub site, so I can prioritize it with some other work I'm planning to do around the different layouts.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/issues/new

For the Grid view, if you Long Press on a item in the Grid.  You'll get the Context Menu, and from there you can select "Details"  That will give you some brief details like the summary for the movie.   Long pressing will always bring up a context menu when in Grid View.    I'm working on a fix for it in Details view.    90% of my users like the fact that selecting the item starts playback, so that probably won't be changing.

Watched status should be updated if you use either the internal player, or if you specifically select MX Player if you side loaded it.  Check your Preferred External Player settings and make sure it doesn't say System Default.

• unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,901Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Watched works after I turned off external player. MX Player not under options? Only default is there...so I'll just use the internal player until I can figure out how to get MX Player.

Thank you, glad you're considering On Deck...makes all the difference in my opinion, making the home screen much more useful. Also, are planning on adding the trailer/extras functionality?
    edited August 2014
    unisonruss wrote on August 20 2014, 11:52 PM: »

Watched works after I turned off external player. MX Player not under options? Only default is there...so I'll just use the internal player until I can figure out how to get MX Player.

Thank you, glad you're considering On Deck...makes all the difference in my opinion, making the home screen much more useful. Also, are planning on adding the trailer/extras functionality?

You can get MX Player (ad supported) for free from the Developer's web site.  Just sideload the APK onto the device.

https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/download

Working on some other items in regards to smoothing out the background image transition first.  I have an open ticket to look at OnDeck and Recently Added.

As for trailer support.   Plex hasn't documented or released an API for the trailers.   Serenity does currently support Trailers via YouTube but you need to be on a device that has Google Play Services installed and the Offical YouTube player.

If Plex makes the support Non-Plex Pass and documents the API I'm willing to add support.  In the mean time, I'll continue using YouTube for movie trailers.