Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Serenity for Android 1.8.2

kingargylekingargyle Members Posts: 561 ✭✭

Development versions are available for 1.8.2 for testing.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/wiki/Downloads#182-m1

This release contains several fixes reported recently and also a fix for Long pressing an item to bring up context menus.  This should now consistently work across all the Gallery/Detail views.    Context menus contain additional actions you can do with a video or poster.  Just select the image you want, and long press the D-PAD OK button or A button on your game controller.

If you have a purchased copy of Serenity from either Google Play or Amazon App Store you'll need to uninstall it before installing this one as development versions are signed with a different certificate.

What's New:

• Various bug fixes that could cause Force Closes to occur.
  • Long press now consistently brings up Context Menu for items in Gallery or Grid views.
  • TV Show and Season Detail views now support wrap around navigation for the bottom Gallery of Images. Must use a D-Pad or Remote control. This behaves just like the Movies Detail.
  • On Screen Display while playing back a video now correctly sends Click events to Pause, FF, and REW on screen buttons when clicked.

Comments

• ian78ian78 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 221 Plex Pass
    kingargyle wrote on August 19 2014, 2:21 AM: »

Development versions are available for 1.8.2 for testing.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/wiki/Downloads#182-m1

This release contains several fixes reported recently and also a fix for Long pressing an item to bring up context menus.  This should now consistently work across all the Gallery/Detail views.    Context menus contain additional actions you can do with a video or poster.  Just select the image you want, and long press the D-PAD OK button or A button on your game controller.

If you have a purchased copy of Serenity from either Google Play or Amazon App Store you'll need to uninstall it before installing this one as development versions are signed with a different certificate.

What's New:

• Various bug fixes that could cause Force Closes to occur.
    • Long press now consistently brings up Context Menu for items in Gallery or Grid views.
    • TV Show and Season Detail views now support wrap around navigation for the bottom Gallery of Images. Must use a D-Pad or Remote control. This behaves just like the Movies Detail.
    • On Screen Display while playing back a video now correctly sends Click events to Pause, FF, and REW on screen buttons when clicked.

What about the overscan? That's huge issue
  • kingargylekingargyle Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    ian78 wrote on August 20 2014, 2:05 AM: »

What about the overscan? That's huge issue

That is also included in this release as well for the Internal player.  For External Players like MX Player that has to be taken up with the appropriate developer of the external player.  I have no control once it goes outside of Serenity for how things are resolved.

For the internal player, I now adjust the screen size for the overscan, and then do any calculations for aspect ratio so it SHOULD be more accurate now.

• mjbxxmjbxx Dedicated Member Members, Plex Pass Posts: 920 Plex Pass
    edited August 2014
    kingargyle wrote on August 19 2014, 2:21 AM: »

What's New:

•  

This is not working properly as seen in the pics below. When the last show (Pride and Prejudice) wraps around to the first show (Band of Brothers) it retains the banner image from the last show on the row.

[attachment=34939:P&P.png]

[attachment=34938:BOB.png]

mjbxx wrote on August 21 2014, 4:58 PM: »

This is not working properly as seen in the pics below. When the last show (Pride and Prejudice) wraps around to the first show (Band of Brothers) it retains the banner image from the last show on the row.

attachicon.gifP&P.png

attachicon.gifBOB.png

Yeah, that is a known issue with the modified Gallery.  It sometimes brings back a previous image.  I'm going to see if I can get it fixed, but it is a hard issue to track down as sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't.  Appears to happen when you move through the list quickly.

Version 1.8.2-M2 is available.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/wiki/Downloads#182-m2

The above mentioned banner bug is still around, I haven't found a fix for this yet.  However, Background animations should be much smoother as a Cross Fade is now implemented.   They also appear in Grid View as well.

This is a release candidate, if you have suggestions for how the Main Menu should be redesigned, let me know in the Other thread.

edited August 2014
    Uninstalled the paid app and installed your latest
    Overscan is not working correctly still
    If I use external player the overscan adjustment is better but not quite filling the screen left/right
    If I uncheck use external player, the overscan is the same as it was previously
    I have the use overscan box checked and went through the overscan setup twice

Also none of my buttons on the remote work, enter, up,down,left,right,fast forward, rewind
    Again my remote is a harmony which is matched to the default pivos xios remote and it functions in the plex app.

And

I was watching a movie using serenity last night. Got tried so went to bed. Now if I go downstairs I can resume on serenity but if I go on my NSZ plex has no resume like serenity never updated plex.
    ian78 wrote on August 23 2014, 1:01 PM: »

If I use external player the overscan adjustment is better but not quite filling the screen left/right

Also none of my buttons on the remote work, enter, up,down,left,right,fast forward, rewind
    Again my remote is a harmony which is matched to the default pivos xios remote and it functions in the plex app.

And

I was watching a movie using serenity last night. Got tried so went to bed. Now if I go downstairs I can resume on serenity but if I go on my NSZ plex has no resume like serenity never updated plex.

Can you open a bug report.  I'm going to need more information about your particular setup.  As I can't replicate your issues locally.

In particular I'll need to know the device, how to test  (the only device I have that needs overscan adjustment is the OUYA so I'll be using that device), what video I can use to replicate the issue.   I don't have a Harmony remote, and if it isn't mapping to the standard Android Directional Pad and Keypad items. I can't test with that.  

For the progress information not updating.  I need to know internal or external player.  If external, did you select the Preferred External player or are you using System default.  If preferred external player which external player.   How far did you go through the video.

If moving from one device to another and Serenity is being used.  The screens do not refresh the video playback positions currently unless you go back a screen and then come back into the screen.   It is only my list to add a background refresh option or to give the option to always refresh the current video's metad data if it is selected.

Again it is probably best to take this to Github and open an issue there.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/issues

ian78 wrote on August 23 2014, 1:01 PM: »

One other item you can do if you are noticing aspect ratios not being correct, is check the "Use Plex Aspect Ratio".  This will use the Plex provided aspect ratio for the movie.  This should fix some of the videos that are 16:9, that are being displayed with the Internal player as 4:3.   

kingargyle wrote on August 27 2014, 1:26 AM: »

One other item you can do if you are noticing aspect ratios not being correct, is check the "Use Plex Aspect Ratio".  This will use the Plex provided aspect ratio for the movie.  This should fix some of the videos that are 16:9, that are being displayed with the Internal player as 4:3.

The overscan seens to work if I use internal player which is fine
    But the only issue I am seeing with the screen is this
    When starting a movie at the bottom of the screen I see the regular android info , time etc
    When a few seconds pass and the time disappears I can still see faint blue circles where the android info was on the bottom left corner.
    ian78 wrote on August 27 2014, 1:30 PM: »

The overscan seens to work if I use internal player which is fine
    But the only issue I am seeing with the screen is this
    When starting a movie at the bottom of the screen I see the regular android info , time etc
    When a few seconds pass and the time disappears I can still see faint blue circles where the android info was on the bottom left corner.

Yeah, this happens on the Tablet version of the app as well.  I'll look at seeing if I can get it to enable true full screen mode on the Tablets, which should also affect those Android HDMI devices that aren't behaving like Google TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, or OUYA's which handle full screen natively and are always in full screen mode.