If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Improved Home Menu

Allan CameronAllan Cameron Posts: 511Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can we get a updated nicer home menu?

Maybe its just me, but it looks broken the way it looks and works. Maybe theme support would do the trick?

I am grateful for whats been done so far, just would like to see a few UI improvments.

Comments

• kingargylekingargyle Posts: 568Members ✭✭
    a1b2c3 wrote on August 22 2014, 11:05 PM: »

Can we get a updated nicer home menu?

Maybe its just me, but it looks broken the way it looks and works. Maybe theme support would do the trick?

I am grateful for whats been done so far, just would like to see a few UI improvments.

I'm planning a Home screen update in an upcoming release.  If you have examples of other home screens from either Plex Skins or XBMC skins, please share them.  I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it.  OnDeck is planned for the home screen, but beyond that what would you like to see?

• Allan CameronAllan Cameron Posts: 511Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    kingargyle wrote on August 23 2014, 12:20 AM: »

I'm planning a Home screen update in an upcoming release.  If you have examples of other home screens from either Plex Skins or XBMC skins, please share them.  I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it.  OnDeck is planned for the home screen, but beyond that what would you like to see?

Thanks for showing an interest in my request.
    There are many themes on different devices I have used over the years and I do indeed have favorites. As far as what I would like to see isn't the question more so then just something nice, maybe even simple but works well. Leaving the creativity part mostly up to you being the Creator.

Ideas I can give you and you can take it from there :)

Titan MediaPortal Skin
    http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/skin-preview-a-new-skin-called-titan.105479/

More simplified version of the theme for WD media players (would be easyer)
    http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Themes/TITAN-LIVE-1-5-XX-Now-Available-for-2-01-86/td-p/587803

This is all of course just an example of what my taste is. but that type of home menu system i like. It still Scrolls right and left, and a changing background to suit each category is also a nice touch.

I realize this will be a lot of work but if you can pull something off I'm sure you will have a lot of happy users. Even just a home menu refresh would be an excellent start and then as you get time work on other parts of your UI where you see fit.

Just my 2 cents but I do feel it is something necessary at least on the home menu.

Thanks!

Yeah, these are along the lines I'm thinking.  Some of these will be more possible once the Android TV Leanback library matures a bit, and as the new bounds items start being adopted from the Material Design guidelines.

Once I start doing some tweaks, I'll post some images.

That sounds great, looking forward to seeing the work in progress.
    edited August 2014
    Sorry kingargyle, I also forgot to mention that I would love to see some changes made on poster size. 3 rows of 42 posters on screen in grid view leaves very tinny posters. Maybe cutting it down to only 2 rows and adjusting the poster size to suite. Even having a second grid view to achieve this would be great.. just an idea.

see here
    [attachment=35006:20140822_213627.jpg]

It's one of the reasons why I don't use the official Plex client on a 1080p Android set-top box. Everything is so small even in tv mode and no choice in view options ...its ridiculous.

Anyways thank you for listening. Love your client.
    a1b2c3 wrote on August 23 2014, 1:47 AM: »

Sorry kingargyle, I also forgot to mention that I would love to see some changes made on poster size. 3 rows of 42 posters on screen in grid view leaves very tinny posters. Maybe cutting it down to only 2 rows and adjusting the poster size to suite. Even having a second grid view to achieve this would be great.. just an idea.

see here
    attachicon.gif20140822_213627.jpg

It's one of the reasons why I don't use the official Plex client on a 1080p Android set-top box. Everything is so small even in tv mode and no choice in view options ...its ridiculous.

Anyways thank you for listening. Love your client.

Are you using the Amazon Fire TV?   As the most I get are about 7 items across with 3 rows?   It'll help me figure out if there is a way for me to make it work better on your particular device.

I am using the Minix Neo x7
    a1b2c3 wrote on August 23 2014, 3:42 AM: »

Okay, that looks like it might be outputting an xhdpi display instead of tvhdpi.   I will try and make some adjustments for the higher resolution screens so that the Grid view shows at most 7 across, which should increase the size of the Images.

I'll fire it up in my emulator to see what it looks like with xhdpi and xxhdpi displays.

That would be great, thanks. Did not know about xhdpi, however i do know higher resolution makes things smaller but i'm only running 1080p.
    a1b2c3 wrote on August 23 2014, 12:51 PM: »

That would be great, thanks. Did not know about xhdpi, however i do know higher resolution makes things smaller but i'm only running 1080p.

Yeah it may be outputting 1080p, but the device itself may be identifying itself as an xlarge display instead of a large display.  If the Details screen, and the other non-grid views are displaying in a more legible fashion, then I need to create some adjustments for xlarge displays in the grid layouts.   I should be able to do some testing this weekend around it and get a build out later in the week for testing.

Awesome, would love to do some testing for you as i think your client is by far the best combination with plex for android.

The tv show viwes are just as bad so i will post some screenshots of the various views so you have an idea what i'm looking at.

I did some testing and manage to get the movies view looking better. I ran this on my Nexus 10 Emulator with a screen resolution of 2560 x 1600 which is an XLarge display.  Looks like I need to visit and tweak the Poster Detail layouts for XLarge displays as well in the TV Shows.

Anyways, I attached a screen shot with the adjustments made.  It'll give you about 8 to 9 across, with the 3 rows.  The images should be much larger.

a1b2c3 wrote on August 23 2014, 3:42 AM: »

Doing some research on this.  While there are some tweaks that need to be done to some of the screen layouts for xlarge displays.  I think you may have to tweak a few things in your Minix Neo x7  Screen settings.   From the products web page, it looks like you have multiple options for specifying a Screen resolution.

So what I would recommend is trying to test out those screen settings, and then checking how Serenity looks.  I unfortunately don't have a Minix device and at $100 on Amazon I probably won't be buying one.  However, I do want to see if we can find the settings for the device that work the best with the device and also possibly add additional layouts.

So let's start by figuring out what Screen resolution options you currently have set and what is the optimal setting and go from there.

Dropping it to other resolutions makes no difference at all on your client or the official Plex client.
    a1b2c3 wrote on September 7 2014, 10:23 AM: »

Dropping it to other resolutions makes no difference at all on your client or the official Plex client.

Okay so this seems to be very device specific, debugging this will probably be better handled via the Issue tracking system.  I'll continue to do some tweaks but please open an issue in Github so we can work on it there.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/issues