Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Simplex for minimalists

eckartheckarth Posts: 421Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited August 2014 in Simplex

Out of a little frustration I started 2 months ago to brew my own variant of Simplex. The design premise was to keep it minimalistic. I.e. to display only what is really needed in order to get to your media. I.e if you are into colourful backgrounds, animations etc, and some of the most recent additions in features, this skin is not for you. I am also not into TV series. It is really only optimised for what I am using. And that is a 10-foot interface to my music collection and occasionally watching movie.

I named it Simplex pure. I will not be surprised if some will find that hilarious. It is also only a tweak of what was already there. I.e I used ideas and code from inbox, wunderwally and Jason Mehring. If I had known how tedious skinning is, I should never have started. Hence, my greatest respect for those who do original work.

As I borrowed heavily, I feel I should share what I got. You can find the code here, together with screen shots to check out before you download.  

There are three obnoxious problems I have not been able to overcome. And that is the other motivation for this posting. May be someone can help me with a hint. As a matter of fact these problem were part of what got me started in the first place.

- I use a Mac as PHT. When l am playing music, I am not able to use the Apple remote control to change the volume. I works fine when playing videos. Every skin I looked at suffers from this problem including the Plex default skin. Hence, I suspect the culprit is PHT itself.

- I can not make the item "Channels" in the main menu bar work properly. I can not find that in any other skin either.

- The recently used queue for channels does work only sometimes. Apart from the official skin any other one seems to have problems here too.

All over all, I would like to design the home window to resemble much closer the one from the XBMC Quartz skin. I.e. instead of individual libraries, I would prefer to link to music, movies and TV stuff collected under only one menu item in each case. However, I do not see how to do that in Plex. 

I will certainly fix little glitches in the future, and try to keep the code working with new releases of PHT. But do not expect me to add new features. However, if I learn how to iron out the three problems I highlighted, I will happily work on that and update the zip-file on the web.

Tagged:

Comments

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,198Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since a a lot of things have been modified and/or added in recent versions of PHT, the only valid source for reliable ways of solving your problems must be the new default 'Plex' skin.

That skin certainly contains valid methods for at least two of your three problems.

(I've no idea how it works with an Apple remote since I use no Apple equipment.)

So I suggest you extract that skin and analyze how it handles channels, both for the main menu entry and the recently used shelf, and then try to adapt those methods for your own skin.

As for other skins with those channel features working well, I have no problems with this in "Amber v2.0.0" or "Night v1.7.3".

All of the above was tested in PHT v1.2.1 on a Win7_x64 system.

Best regards: dlanor

• pecinkopecinko Posts: 1,011Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2014
    eckarth wrote on August 23 2014, 1:23 PM: »

- I use a Mac as PHT. When l am playing music, I am not able to use the Apple remote control to change the volume. I works fine when playing videos. Every skin I looked at suffers from this problem including the Plex default skin. Hence, I suspect the culprit is PHT itself.

- I can not make the item "Channels" in the main menu bar work properly. I can not find that in any other skin either.

- The recently used queue for channels does work only sometimes. Apart from the official skin any other one seems to have problems here too.

All over all, I would like to design the home window to resemble much closer the one from the XBMC Quartz skin. I.e. instead of individual libraries, I would prefer to link to music, movies and TV stuff collected under only one menu item in each case. However, I do not see how to do that in Plex. 

Yup, only when you try it yourself you begin to realize how complex task skinning is. It gets a bit better over time :)

- take a look at keymap.xml You can alter default buttons to change volume. Default action is either rewind or skip.

- not sure what exactly you have in mind? IIRC, window name has been changed to MyChannels.xml 

- Yeah, you right. You either code it the same way as Sebastian or get to live with it :)

- Quartz (nice skin!! ) home page can't be achieved in PHT as there is no (not sane at least) way to separate content of container id=300

• eckartheckarth Posts: 421Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Eckart wrote on August 23 2014, 1:23 PM: »

pecinko wrote on August 25 2014, 8:14 PM: »

- take a look at keymap.xml You can alter default buttons to change volume. Default action is either rewind or skip.

For those who care: The problem and its solution are very simple. The PHT keymap for the Apple remote is IMHO a little off. The NowPlaying section does not connect the up/down buttons to the volume, but to up/down in some none existing list. I.e. they are presently useless.

One can fix that by copying joystick.AppleRemote.xml from the PHT application Contents/Resources/XBMC/system/keymaps to ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Home Theater/userdata/keymaps. Than one needs to edit the last subsection in the file to be:

<NowPlaying>
        <joystick name="AppleRemote">
    <!-- That is the fix  -->
          <button id="1">VolumeUp</button>
          <button id="2">VolumeDown</button>
          <button id="3">SkipPrevious</button>
          <button id="4">SkipNext</button>
          <button id="8">Stop</button>
        </joystick>
      </NowPlaying>