Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Recommended overclocking for rasplex

dale.hameldale.hamel Plex NinjaPosts: 369Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Overclocking Rasplex

Rasplex benefits from overclocking of the Raspberry Pi by providing a boost in speed of navigation in menus and also preventing stuttering of high bitrate media.

The following table details suggested overclock settings, if you want to overclock start with 'High' and test, if you encounter any problems, try the next level down, and so on until you have stability.

################################################################################
# Overclock mode settings.
#
# default recommended values are: arm_freq | core_freq | sdram_freq | over_voltage
# mode 'Modest' : 800 | 250 | 400 | 0
# mode 'Medium' : 900 | 250 | 450 | 2
# mode 'High' : 950 | 250 | 450 | 6
################################################################################

Additional speed can be gained by also raising 'core_freq' to the same value as
'sdram_freq', if you don't mind losing your warranty.

To change your overclock settings you need to edit your config.txt file and adding the following values (or any of your own choice) to the end of the file:

arm_freq=900
core_freq=250
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=2

This can be done one of two ways:

Either:

When you have created your Rasplex SD card, before removing it from you Windows PC or Mac open the config.txt file with any text editor (not Word or Pages) and changes the values and save the file.

Or:

SSH into your Pi running Rasplex and enter the following:

mount -o remount,rw /flash

then enter:

cd /flash

then enter:

nano config.txt

When editing is finished press CTRL and o, then CTRL and x, then reboot your Pi.

Comments

• KnightOrcKnightOrc Posts: 233Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been using 900/450/450/2 with no significant issues for a long time, well ventilated, clean power supply... Your mileage may vary.

• gfondeurgfondeur Posts: 122Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm been using the same with not issues at all.

• FO22ZZFO22ZZ Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass
    edited October 2014

None of those worked for me. I kept crashing even at 800/250/400/0.

Ive got a decent power supply going to it, but not sure what else might still be doing it.

Ive read that using < class 10 sd cards in it could be a cause.... true?

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,742Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    FO22ZZ wrote on October 3 2014, 10:58 AM: »

None of those worked for me. I kept crashing even at 800/250/400/0.
    Ive got a decent power supply going to it, but not sure what else might still be doing it.

Ive read that using < class 10 sd cards in it could be a cause.... true?

True, get yourself a Class 10 Sandisk Extreme.

Regards
  • rahadzarahadza Posts: 6Members
    Is there a way in rasplex to display the current cpu speed?
    rahadza wrote on October 12 2014, 10:15 AM: »

Is there a way in rasplex to display the current cpu speed?

Only if you SSH in to the Pi when Rasplex is running.

Regards
  • shark-bayshark-bay Posts: 6Members
    NedtheNerd wrote on October 12 2014, 3:18 PM: »

Only if you SSH in to the Pi when Rasplex is running.

Regards

I managed it to get access to my rasplex through putty yesterday!

But I couldn´t find the right command to see the speed of the CPU and so on.

could you please tell me?

thanks

shark-bay wrote on October 23 2014, 6:29 AM: »

I managed it to get access to my rasplex through putty yesterday!

But I couldn´t find the right command to see the speed of the CPU and so on.

could you please tell me?

thanks

Try vcgencmd get_config arm_freq whilst a movie/tv show is playing. Note that the CPU clock speed is not constant but changes depending on the CPU load up to the max set in config.txt.

Regards.
  • Plexeej2Plexeej2 Posts: 10Members ✭✭
    edited October 2014

Dale, thanks for the overclocking guide. I'm running without any problems:

arm_freq=950
    core_freq=450
    sdram_freq=450
    over_voltage=2

Finally, I can watch without any stutter the Apple trailers at 1080p AAC 2.0 stereo from the Plex Apple Movie trailers app. Using stock frequencies gave me stutter every 3-4 seconds.

Overclocking is only one part of the story. I'm also using a Class 10 Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s SD card, as well as a 300 Mbps Wireless N dongle. Cache size is at 30%

• MassaguanaMassaguana Posts: 1,617Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello, is there an SSH code to read the CPU/ GPU Temperature?

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

Dont work, "not found"

Thanks

Massaguana

Massaguana wrote on December 13 2014, 10:03 AM: »

Hello, is there an SSH code to read the CPU/ GPU Temperature?

[font=Monaco, 'Andale Mono', 'Courier New', Courier, monospace]/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp[/font]

[font=Monaco, 'Andale Mono', 'Courier New', Courier, monospace]Dont work, "not found"[/font]

[font=Monaco, 'Andale Mono', 'Courier New', Courier, monospace]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Monaco, 'Andale Mono', 'Courier New', Courier, monospace]Massaguana[/font]

cputemp

Regards
  • DarwinnerDarwinner Posts: 27Members ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Additional speed can be gained by also raising 'core_freq' to the same value as
    'sdram_freq', if you don't mind losing your warranty.

Is this still the case?

On their website they say oc via config.txt file is now acceptable without voiding warranty.

Although I think setting force_turbo to '1' still does.

The following article explains how the Warranty is voided (sticky bit):

http://cavebeat.blogspot.ca/2012/10/overclocking-raspberry-pi.html

OpenELEC site also offers warranty safe settings:

1000|500|500|6

Although there's no mention of using a heatsink.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#What_is_a_recommended_power_supply.3F

Thanks for the guide!

edited March 2015
    Please note that these instructions are for the RPi B and B+ 512Mb models, not the RPi2
  • qwiklapqwiklap Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are their recommended OC and memory settings for the RPI2? 

• aguerbeyaguerbey Posts: 22Members ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Mines running at 1000/500/500/2 for a few weeks now. I let it run nonstop, never had any problems. Smooth as silk. But i'm using kwikboo's release, if that should matter. I also put some heatsink on the chips, Don't know if thats necessary, but they didn't cost that much and i guess they do not hurt.

Edit : PI2 btw...

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,198Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    aguerbey wrote on March 4 2015, 7:15 PM: »

Mines running at 1000/500/500/2 for a few weeks now. I let it run nonstop, never had any problems. Smooth as silk. But i'm using kwikboo's release, if that should matter. I also put some heatsink on the chips, Don't know if thats necessary, but they didn't cost that much and i guess they do not hurt.

Edit : PI2 btw...

Just so you know:
    Recommended overclock settings for an RPi2 are currently NONE AT ALL...

That's because the Raspberry Pi foundation has not published ANY information on safe overclock usage for this new model.
    At least no such information has reached the team working on development and testing of RasPlex.
    (We don't even know for sure if the RPi2 processes overclock directives in "config.txt" the same way.)

So everything you try in regard to overclocking the RPi2 is at your own risk, and contrary to RasPlex team recommendations.
    Hopefully the RPi2 can tolerate any OC settings used with the RPi1, but we have no definite information on that topic.

Best regards: dlanor
  • aguerbeyaguerbey Posts: 22Members ✭✭
    dlanor wrote on March 5 2015, 6:38 AM: »

Just so you know:
    Recommended overclock settings for an RPi2 are currently NONE AT ALL...

That's because the Raspberry Pi foundation has not published ANY information on safe overclock usage for this new model.
    At least no such information has reached the team working on development and testing of RasPlex.
    (We don't even know for sure if the RPi2 processes overclock directives in "config.txt" the same way.)

So everything you try in regard to overclocking the RPi2 is at your own risk, and contrary to RasPlex team recommendations.
    Hopefully the RPi2 can tolerate any OC settings used with the RPi1, but we have no definite information on that topic.

Best regards: dlanor

I am aware of that, but thanks for pointing it out. Most of the time the cpu runs at 600 Mhz, and only occasionally gets to 1 Ghz, when the power is needed, so i guess the settings do stick. Of course my oc settings are no recommendations, only the settings i tried. Probably wouldn't even need to oc this bad boy, but the nerd in me urges me to do it :).

There still appears to be no 'official' overclock settings from raspberrypi.org for the RPi2, however, a number of people are asking for advice on settings, the following is offered as guidance and in good faith based on my usage.

Suggested overclocking settings for the Raspberry Pi Model B 2.

arm_freq=1000

sdram_freq=500

core_freq=500

over_voltage=2

I have been running one of my Rpi2 24/7 with these settings for the past 8 weeks with no issues.

If your RPi2 is in a hot environment you may wish to add the following:

arm_freq_min=400

sdram_freq_min=250

core_freq_min=250

initial_turbo=30 #Does not affect warranty. (Speeds up boot)

The arm_freq setting will add some heat to the board when pushed, however, you can improve performance without overclocking the arm_req as follows:

sdam_freq=500

core_freq=500

over_voltage=2

I have another RPi2 with extreme speed settings (this has only been running for a few days but seems stable) as follows:

arm_freq=1100

sdram_freq=500

core_freq=500

over_voltage=6

temp_limit=80 #Will throttle to default clock speed if temp is hit.

Note: Applying any of these settings are at your own risk, I will not accept responsibility for any damage you may incur!

Regards

• PikoasisPikoasis Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In which extent does this overclocking have an impact on the performance of the RPI 2 for Rasplex ?

In other words, in which case the gain can be seen ?

• KnightOrcKnightOrc Posts: 233Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Pikoasis wrote on April 28 2015, 3:02 PM: »

In which extent does this overclocking have an impact on the performance of the RPI 2 for Rasplex ?

In other words, in which case the gain can be seen ?

There should be no reason to overclock the RPi2 for RasPlex, it handles the load quite happily.