Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Subtitle naming conventions for forced and hearing impaired

I know about the general naming conventions for subtitles. I usually have external SRT subtitles with a two letter ISO code, like movie.en.srt. Sometimes though I have more than one subtitle file for the same language. Typically these are either "forced" subtitles (I don't need to force their output though) which contain translations of signs or texts inside the movie, or subtitles for the "hearing impaired". So in the worst case I end up with three subtitle files which I have named movie.en.srt, movie.en.forced.srt and movie.en.sdh.srt. All of these subtitles I can use in any Plex client, however, when choosing from the available subtitles it would be nice to see to which group they belong.

Are there any naming conventions I am not aware of?

If not, that would be a nice feature for future releases...

Server: P4 2.4GHz | 512 MB | Ubuntu 14.04 | Version 0.9.9.14

Clients: Rasberry Pi B+ 512 MB | Rasplex 0.4.1

Comments

• Aileron79Aileron79 Posts: 13Members ✭✭

Still running into the same issue... Any suggestions how to deal with subtitles for hearing impaired?

Server: P4 2.4GHz | 512 MB | Ubuntu 14.04 | Version 0.9.9.14

Clients: Rasberry Pi B+ 512 MB | Rasplex 0.4.1

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,093Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Aileron79 wrote on April 23 2015, 10:48 AM: »

Still running into the same issue... Any suggestions how to deal with subtitles for hearing impaired?

There is no solution in place. Yet.

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
  • bripedbriped Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The typical naming convention (for other media players) are movie.en-HI.mkv (for hearing impaired) and movie.en-forced.mkv. However this have been requested implemented by Plex ages ago, yet still nothing has happened. One would have thought it would have come along with the recent update that had a lot of fixes and changes to subtitle handling. Consider this as another reminder/request to handle subtitles for hearing impaired or forced, rather than just showing them as unknown. When multiple languages are present, with HI option, knowing which "unknown" to select quickly becomes annoying.

• NemesisMateNemesisMate Posts: 2Members

Is this being added any time soon?

• D-WarD-War Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I think the naming convention for .srt should be something like this:

1) ../or .srt where is "forced", "default", ...
    2) ....srt (not sure about type ;) )

most players like media player classic or Kodi can recognize this format;

for instance: Avatar (2009).sometext.en.srt
        or                    Avatar (2009).en.sometext.srt

Kodi shows this as: "English - sometext"

even Plex recognize the language (using second format), but considers it as "English", so if you have multiple subtitle with same language, you can't find yours:)) ,but it's a temporary solution for using multiple subtitles.

• D-WarD-War Posts: 4Members ✭✭

( Sorry, i don't have an edit button:))) )
    I think the naming convention for .srt should be something like this:

• 'moviename'.'languagecode'.'description'/or 'type'.srt where 'type' is "forced", "default", ...
    • 'moviename'.'description'.'languagecode'.'type'.srt (not sure about type)

most players like media player classic or Kodi can recognize this format;

for instance:

Kodi shows this as: "English - sometext"

even Plex recognize the language (using second format), but considers it as "English", so if you have multiple subtitle with same language, you can't find yours:)) ,but it's a temporary solution for using multiple subtitles.

• avery.vendors@gmail.comavery.vendors@gmail.com Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It looks like this was partially fixed since the last time this thread was updated. "Forced" is now a supported keyword in the file name. The format is:

Big Movie Name (2015)sometext.en.forced.srt

I've tested it and the current version of Plex will automatically detect and show the forced subtitles by default.

I still don't see a solution for multiple versions of subtitles for the same language, such as a version for hearing impaired.

• xAhlenxAhlen Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still missing this feature, some movies of mine can have like 4 rows of english subs

• NapsterbaterNapsterbater Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Definitely needed.