Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Where are Plex server setting stored?

ademanueleademanuele Members, Plex Pass Posts: 97 Plex Pass

Having had problems upgrading Plex (https://forums.plex.tv/topic/124997-the-application-plex-media-server-cant-be-opened-1712/)

I decided to uninstall and start afresh. I uninstalled all the recommended files:

~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

~/Library/Caches/PlexMediaServer/
~/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist

When I restarted the freshly installed server app I found that the Plex Server had picked up my previous settings?? Is there another file somewhere in the OS X system with the server settings?

Comments

• ischorrischorr Members, Plex Pass Posts: 32 Plex Pass

I have the same question and don't see it answered anywhere - it's clear most settings aren't in the ~/Library/Preferences/plex.plist file, but I have no idea where they're stored or how to clear. Trying to troubleshoot issues and would like to reset things.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,811 Plex Pass

@ischorr said:
    I have the same question and don't see it answered anywhere - it's clear most settings aren't in the ~/Library/Preferences/plex.plist file, but I have no idea where they're stored or how to clear. Trying to troubleshoot issues and would like to reset things.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204281528-Why-am-I-locked-out-of-Server-Settings-and-how-do-I-get-in-

edited June 19

~~All that article says is to check the com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist file which definitely isn't where the majority of settings are stored.

There's nothing in it on transcoding, or remote access ports, or pretty much anything in the settings GUI. I can exit PMS, wipe the file, restart PMS, and no settings (that I can see) have changed or reverted to defaults. They're getting stored somewhere else. And it doesn't look like in the Application Support dir either.~~

I'm wrong, those settings are in this file. But somehow the preferences seem to get preserved even if plex is shut down and the file changed. If I delete/modify the file and then reboot, the settings change. But without reboot it seems like the settings get maintained somehow (an OS X cache?)

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,811 Plex Pass

Those settings are saved in the database.

edited June 19

Are you sure? Which table(s)? I just did a sqlite dump of the DB and walking through it, still not seeing things like transcode settings anywhere.

Ok, I lied, the settings I was looking for do seem to be stored in the .plist file.

But they must be somewhere else too that I'm missing - like OP said, I can stop Plex, wipe that file out, restart it, and the settings come right back (and are written to that file)?

I've been through both of the sqlite databases and don't see any evidence that the preferences/settings/etc are stored there. There's no table I see where they'd go and if they're in there, they're encrypted or hashed or something.

Maybe even an OS X cache that stores preferences backups somewhere and restores them if they're "corrupt" (or something like me deletes them)?

• BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,395 Plex Employee
    edited June 19

the old plist file is being recreated by macOS. it has a frustrating safety feature where it does that if it thinks a settings file is mistakenly deleted. after quitting server and deleting file. either log out of macOS and back in, or reboot entire computer before launching server again.

You're right, that's what I had to do. Annoying, but at least it's consistent =) And I could see how it might be useful