Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any plans for using PMS transcoding

macprivateermacprivateer Posts: 39Members ✭✭

First off, thanks so much for even creating Serenity.  Also well done for keeping it open sourcing since plex decided to keep their client for android closed (every strange decision, but whatever).

Just got my AFTV today and I'll give a go with Serenity and the MX player as the external player.    May also trying a side load of XBMC and the addon to enable using the PMS but I'd rather just have a situation where I can launch Serenity and the have the PMS transcode as needed.

I know having gone thru the ups and downs with Roku from the original plex roku app that getting transcoding to work flawlessly is very hard.  But do you have any plans on trying to get Serenity to support transcoding from the Plex Media Server?

Comments

• kingargylekingargyle Posts: 568Members ✭✭
    edited November 2014

Unfortunately no, because I sell a copy of the app, I have to get a commercial transcoding key, and Plex makes it cost prohibitive to do so.  Especially with the limited number of sales and target users.   You can use XBMC as an external player with Serenity but you won't get PMS meta data updated like you will if using MX Player.

However, that doesn't mean somebody couldn't fork Serenity and do a free version that does support Transcoding with the free transcoding key.

• macprivateermacprivateer Posts: 39Members ✭✭

Was using plex before streaming devices and went with Roku and the first plex Roku app.  So a lot of this is now coming back to me.  Unfortunately in nightmares.

:(

The tough part is the fact that so many people use these devices in so many different ways, the devices themselves are designed in specific ways and thus don't handle the myriad of flavors media is kept these days (different containers, different formats, etc.) top that with the fact that everyone's media library is different (again, encoded in different formats), the end result is that people want the app to do basically everything in order to play everything on everything.

I may take a look at the forked roku plex RARflix which I use to see how he handled the transcoding.

Although since my personal issue is that of audio, it isn't a major task to re-encode the audio streams of my mkv's into AAC using MKVTools.  Done some testing with that and large movie files take roughly 10 min on the very old machine I use as my plex media server. 

Also just a side question.

It seems you recommend using MX Player with Serenity over the internal player, why is that?

edited November 2014
    macprivateer wrote on November 10 2014, 5:06 PM: »

It seems you recommend using MX Player with Serenity over the internal player, why is that?

Because MX Player handles decoding of AC-3 audio, which the internal player doesn't when in an MKV container.  MX Player just handles a wider range.   For use with out an external player, then sticking to MP4/H.264 video and AAC audio is recommended.  That seems to be the format that works across most devices.    

I like a lot of people have older content in AVI format with some that have MP3 audio containers or AC-3 audio.   Over the years of DVD collecting and conversion, it would take an extremely long time to re-encode everything.

But if you stick with MP4/AAC you should be fine across most newer devices without having to transcode, and the internal Serenity player will handle it just fine.

Also, the reviews on Amazon are typically a lot lower than say on the Google Play store, as people are trying to play various content that the Amazon Fire TV can't play with the Internal Player because their video content is in the wrong formats.  So I recommend an external player in the stores description to help avoid people saying the app doesn't work.

• mjbxxmjbxx Dedicated Member Posts: 920Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2014
    macprivateer wrote on November 10 2014, 5:06 PM: »

Also just a side question.

I'd like to add that an important feature when using the MX Player within Serenity is its ability to track your watched status where as the official Plex/Android app does not when using an external player.

• macprivateermacprivateer Posts: 39Members ✭✭
    mjbxx wrote on November 11 2014, 5:08 AM: »

I'd like to add that an important feature when using the MX Player within Serenity is its ability to track your watched status where as the official Plex/Android app does not when using an external player.

Well I'll definitely side load MX Player then and give it a try.  Re-encoding the MKV's I have (which is basically the issue for me) from the audio format they typically have (AC-3, DTS, etc. to AAC) is not a major time suck but it is an extra step in the process.  And if I can avoid that by going with the external player that certainly makes sense.

I'm extremely happy with Serenity both look & feel and how it works with the PMS.  I'm able to start watching a movie on the Roku, pause it, head into the room with the AFTV and start the movie from that point.  And I'm much happier using software that I know is open, so for me it's going to be Serenity over the plex app.

• Malcolm37Malcolm37 Posts: 133Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mjbxx said:

Or using the internal player when playing Synced content and Online.

I'm looking at adding the Universal Transcoding support for 1.9.5 release.