Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

xbox 360 subtitles

chonnychonny Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

On my xbox 360 i cannot watch movies with subtitles.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

On other clients (pc , atv ) this issue never happens. 

Tagged:

Comments

• bmuptonbmupton Members, Plex Pass Posts: 113 Plex Pass

Are these embedded subtitles or external srt files?

Mine appears to work with external srt files...not sure about embedded, I don't currently have any media with embedded ones.

• imadunaticimadunatic Members Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am able to use SRT external subs with no problem... in fact it was one of the first things I checked. Was definitely missing it on Xbox prior to this.... Not sure if it forces transcoding or not, haven't noticed the server sweating (but I could be wrong, haven't checked it specifically). 

• chonnychonny Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

Its about external srt subtitles. 

Chonny,  I can confirm that external SRT files as well as enabling the opensubs agent on my server is giving me subtitles on all files that I've tested. 

OpenSubtitles running agent is required in order see the subtitles ? I think its about the subtitles that automatically come from internet not local ones in movie directory ? Am I wrong ?

chonny wrote on November 17 2014, 3:56 PM: »

OpenSubtitles running agent is required in order see the subtitles ? I think its about the subtitles that automatically come from internet not local ones in movie directory ? Am I wrong ?

Chonny. You're correct. The opensubs agent is only for online subs. Your local subs should show up even if you don't have that agent enabled. It sounds like your server is correctly configured seeing as how your other clients find the subs just fine.  I wish I could be of more help, but my SRT files have worked fine from day one. 

I just did test with windows pc server but the result is same. Subtitles i am trying to run are Bulgarian (cyrillic) could it be an issue ?

chonny wrote on November 19 2014, 9:31 PM: »

I just did test with windows pc server but the result is same. Subtitles i am trying to run are Bulgarian (cyrillic) could it be an issue ?

Chonny, 

Can you find english subs for one of your files that isn't working and try them?   That might help you eliminate that possibility.

• 2ndvizio2ndvizio Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

I just ran into this problem yesterday on a foreign Denmark movie,.  Subtitles had been working just fine for the many tv shows and movies I've played on the 360 but I ran into a problem with this one.  The subtitles are in english.  They can be turned on but nothing shows on screen.   Tried rebooting the xbox but that didn't help.  Subtitles work on the same movie on the android app so I think it could be an xbox 360 specific problem with subtitles.

• johnsons2014johnsons2014 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20

experiencing the same problem .. subs work on the roku or chrome web browser but not on the X360. separate .srt file located in the movies folder, not embedded. As the OP's thumbnail shows, the 360 isn't acknowledging that an .srt file is even there.

johnsons2014 wrote on December 1 2014, 11:47 PM: »

experiencing the same problem .. subs work on the roku or chrome web browser but not on the X360. separate .srt file located in the movies folder, not embedded. As the OP's thumbnail shows, the 360 isn't acknowledging that an .srt file is even there.

What language subs?   It appears that certain languages are not being recognized by the 360 app (which is odd considering it's the server that I think would handle this). 

FWIW, english subs are working for me on every file I've tried them on... SRT and open subtitles both. 

imadunatic wrote on December 3 2014, 7:46 PM: »

What language subs?   It appears that certain languages are not being recognized by the 360 app (which is odd considering it's the server that I think would handle this). 

FWIW, english subs are working for me on every file I've tried them on... SRT and open subtitles both. 

english .srt files

Wish I could help you there. All my srt files are working fine on the 360. Probably have to dig through the logs and look for anything suspect.... 

I'm sure it will all get sorted out eventually .. I'll do some digging  :rolleyes:

• arana1arana1 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

change the order of the agents, put the local media one on top, rename your srt file according to the plex naming conventions.

but even when you make it work (as i did) let me tell you that your video would have to be transcoded for the subs to work on xbox, and thats one thing i didnt like about the app, i could achieve the same using a dlna server (tversity) but i wanted to stop transcoding everything (reason i didnt direct play with tversity was of course the subtitles), i thought xbox app came to save my life but it didnt :(

since i didnt want togo back to tversity I got a firetv stick for 20 bucks and i finally can direct play with interchangeable subs.

now i bought a fire tv stick   and wont be using xbox app again it is really bad.

i wish xbox app was better , because i cant have dts or 5.1 from the stick , but i could have it via optical audio from xbox.

• jmelonavarrojmelonavarro Members Posts: 1

hello dude just change the file extesion STR to SUB it works for me

• henkallhenkall Members, Plex Pass Posts: 92 Plex Pass
    edited February 2016

I have seen the FAQ about this. But please do not filter the Danish (Dansk) subtitles. The ÆØÅ is working just fine on the Xbox 360.

• dako98dako98 Members Posts: 2

I have the same problem, but by the looks, it can not be fixed. It's a limitation of the Xbox 360 console.
    Ref: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204232043-What-subtitle-languages-are-supported-Why-aren-t-my-subtitles-listed-

• dako98dako98 Members Posts: 2

@dako98 said:
    I have the same problem, but by the looks, it can not be fixed. It's a limitation of the Xbox 360 console.
    Ref: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204232043-What-subtitle-languages-are-supported-Why-aren-t-my-subtitles-listed-

A workaround I found is changing the subtitles file to a supported region. For the original question (and my) I changed the .bg.srt to ru.srt and it works.