If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Now Playing in Web UI - movie on Roku stuck for days

leelyndsleelynds Posts: 964Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know if it's a Roku problem or a Plex server problem. It seems that the server and Roku are not communicating with each other that the video has been stopped, and it shows up in the Now playing as "bufffering" or "playing" The only way to correct the problem is to contact the user and ask them re-boot the Roku.

Rebooting or restarting the plex server doesn't fix the problem, even if the server is turned off for several hours.  The now playing Roku will re-appear as soon as the server is running.  It also shows up in "Plex-Notify" as being watched or buffering, etc.

The problem was mentioned earlier in this thread. Doesn't seem to be user-specific - has happened at least once with all of the people I share with who have a Roku.  and it doesn't seem to affect the server as other clients can connect and disconnect without problem.  It's just annoying, and I'm hoping there is something I can do from my end to get rid of the apparent bad connection.  :( (got a stuck one for over a day now, and can't contact for a roku re-boot)

Comments

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,836Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We have seen this happen few times, and you are right, a reboot of the Roku seems to be the only fix. I haven't experienced this issue in quite a while though, but I'm thinking you may be able to go into Plex/Web and disassociate the device from your account (if you cannot reboot the Roku). I know that is a bit drastic, but it will at least stop the flurry of messages.

• WeeflixWeeflix Posts: 238Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You can always temporarily remove the file the roku is trying to watch from the library and the roku should disconnect.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,836Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited November 2014

Not sure that would work. The Roku doesn't seem to care about the return status of the timeline request it's sending the PMS. You can stop the server for a decent amount of time, and once it's started again, the Roku will be happy as ever to keep sending them. (note: this also happens when the plex channel isn't even running on the Roku)

The idea behind removing the device record from Plex/Web is that the PMS would ignore the request since it's unauthorized. 

Nomadore wrote on November 17 2014, 7:14 PM: »

You can always temporarily remove the file the roku is trying to watch from the library and the roku should disconnect.

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 964Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    ljunkie wrote on November 17 2014, 6:33 PM: »

We have seen this happen few times, and you are right, a reboot of the Roku seems to be the only fix. I haven't experienced this issue in quite a while though, but I'm thinking you may be able to go into Plex/Web and disassociate the device from your account (if you cannot reboot the Roku). I know that is a bit drastic, but it will at least stop the flurry of messages.

I'm probably missing it on the devices page, but I don't know who I could remove a device that belongs to some one else's account.  The Roku that is in the perpetual stuck mode doesn't belong to me, it's a user's that I've shared with.  Specifically it's a roku model 2720X which doesn't show up in my list.

Nomadore wrote on November 17 2014, 7:14 PM: »

I didn't actually try that this time, but I'm pretty sure I tried that before with no luck.  The Roku seems determined it is playing the video whether it exists or not.

ljunkie wrote on November 17 2014, 7:30 PM: »

Not sure that would work. The Roku doesn't seem to care about the return status of the timeline request it's sending the PMS. You can stop the server for a decent amount of time, and once it's started again, the Roku will be happy as ever to keep sending them. (note: this also happens when the plex channel isn't even running on the Roku)

The idea behind removing the device record from Plex/Web is that the PMS would ignore the request since it's unauthorized. 

One time I contacted the owners of the stuck Roku and asked them to reboot.  They said they would as soon as the movie they were watching on Netflix was over (obviously, they were not using the plex channel).  Problem solved after reboot. In another instance, the offending Roku started another video.  Now playing showed the correct info and the "stuck" video disappeared.  When the video stopped playing, the stuck movie returned again.

In any event, it's not a big problem because the PMS seems to work okay regardless.  In the meantime, I'll just hope for a brief electrical outage since I know the people with the stuck roku are out of town for a few days and that will reboot the roku  :lol:   

edited November 2014

I guess I responded before I had my coffee. You are right, you will only see your devices, not the shared devices connected to your server. 

Another couple options.

1. Not sure it would work immediately, but you could revoke access to the server by modifying the shared server on plex.tv. 
    2. Immediate block, but a bit more complicated. Add a firewall rule on your server or router to block the users IP address.
    leelynds wrote on November 17 2014, 9:13 PM: »

I'm probably missing it on the devices page, but I don't know who I could remove a device that belongs to some one else's account.  The Roku that is in the perpetual stuck mode doesn't belong to me, it's a user's that I've shared with.  Specifically it's a roku model 2720X which doesn't show up in my list.   

• leelyndsleelynds Posts: 964Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

LOL! I don't even consider doing anything without my morning coffee except let the dogs out for a pee!

Thanks, ljunkie. I had thought of both, but since I'm not losing sleep over the little glitch I won't bother. Seems like more work than it's worth since it doesn't affect any one else connecting to the PMS or appear to be causing any real problems at my end.  I did have to disable the now watching notifications in Rarflix on my three Rokus so that I wasn't bombarded with now playing messages, though. I'll just ignore the web interface now playing status until I can contact them and request a reboot.

Once again, thanks for the quick replies everyone!

• pcfreak30pcfreak30 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Is there not anything being done regarding this glitch? Still existing 2 years later on a roku tcl tv.

• behinsonbehinson Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just in case it's helpful to someone running across this, I had a similar problem where there was a stream stuck under "Now playing" but wasn't actually being played. Was able to clear it out by revoking access for the shared user (uncheck all libraries being shared), restarting Plex, then re-enabling the libraries for that user.