If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

When can I add and remove actors?

nhagyavinhagyavi Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi! I don't know if this thread is in the right forum. Please move it if it isn't.

You already know that you can add and remove writers and directors, but not actors. Why? Will this feature come soon?

Comments

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Posts: 5,513Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is a Feature Request for editing cast memebers in the Plex Pass forums. Only 25 likes (one of them mine) so far. :(

Jim

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    Rule #32 "Enjoy the little things"
  • nhagyavinhagyavi Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    astrofisher wrote on November 26 2014, 12:44 AM: »

There is a Feature Request for editing cast memebers in the Plex Pass forums. Only 25 likes (one of them mine) so far. :(

Who doesn't want to add and remove actors?! :/ I really hope this feature will be added soon. It's not that hard to add it. The functionality for it are there! Add a new column with the actors and bam - done!

• timid1timid1 Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I posted about this very "problem" when I first started playing with Plex.  I don't use it for videos that can be found on public databases, so I need to manually populate information such as actors.  What I found is that Plex will read metadata embedded within MP4 files, but not for other types of video files (e.g., AVI, WMV).   What I also found is that Windows will force you to use a specific delimiter when it comes to listing multiple actors; this delimiter isn't recognized by Plex.

Below is a list of links that I could find that ask about this very same problem.  There's probably other posts, but at the risk of being labeled a troll I won't bother digging any further.

When can you add and remove actors?  When the engineers can figure out how to address that specific use case.  I imagine it's not trivial otherwise it would've been done by now.

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/38497-why-is-cast-not-editable-in-metadata/

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/78913-metadata-editing-actors-cast-and-genre/

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/123841-actor-metadata-via-wmv-versus-mp4/

• nhagyavinhagyavi Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2014
    timid1 wrote on November 26 2014, 10:18 PM: »

I posted about this very "problem" when I first started playing with Plex.  I don't use it for videos that can be found on public databases, so I need to manually populate information such as actors.  What I found is that Plex will read metadata embedded within MP4 files, but not for other types of video files (e.g., AVI, WMV).   What I also found is that Windows will force you to use a specific delimiter when it comes to listing multiple actors; this delimiter isn't recognized by Plex.

Below is a list of links that I could find that ask about this very same problem.  There's probably other posts, but at the risk of being labeled a troll I won't bother digging any further.

When can you add and remove actors?  When the engineers can figure out how to address that specific use case.  I imagine it's not trivial otherwise it would've been done by now.

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/38497-why-is-cast-not-editable-in-metadata/

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/78913-metadata-editing-actors-cast-and-genre/

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/123841-actor-metadata-via-wmv-versus-mp4/

Thank you for your answer.

Plex Media Server does have all the actors listed in a XML file for movies and TV series (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201539237 > Metadata). Plex Media Server also gets the information for the countries, the directors, the posters, the backgrounds, and all the other information you can edit in Plex/Web, from these XML files. Why. Not. The actors. Too?!?! What's the problem to use the basically exact same function to add this single column? Do the developers at Plex don't want us to edit the actors? If yes, why? Is it something dangerous? Is it something they can get in to jail for? No. Nothing about that! But if the answer is no, it's maybe because they priority other, more useful functions to make Plex a more popular and easy-to-use software for more people. I think the answer is no, but still!

To the developers: Please, please!! Add the column for the actors too!

Sorry for my bad temper but this feature have been asked for by many, many Plex users in many years now  :( It is not that hard to just add a single column with the same functionality as for the directors and writers. And the countries and the genres. All of these columns are getting the information from the exact same XML file where the actors are. Seriously. I can't understand - why can't we add and remove the actors too?!

• skl688skl688 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, can we can we please get the ability to edit the actor/cast lists? Please. 

• ronwbrownronwbrown Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

BUMP!!
    I want it too!!

• interconnectinterconnect Posts: 195Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, I am shocked that you can't add or edit actors.

• YamiWheelerYamiWheeler Posts: 6Members ✭✭

As I continue to use it, I'm finding more and more inane problems like this with Plex. It's completely bizarre.

• DaleDietrichDaleDietrich Posts: 166Members ✭✭✭

Want this feature too!

Dale
    Plex Clients:
    2x Roku, 2x iPad (original and Air), Nexus 10, 3x iPhone (5, 6 & 6S)

• bleachjtbleachjt Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This needs to be added ASAP

• GahdGahd Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How is this thread 2 years old and this is still not possible?

• errore404errore404 Posts: 1Members

BUMP!

It could be really usefull... :)

• FirstAidPoetryFirstAidPoetry Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add me in!

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,714Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2016

I, for one, never understood why editing cast is not possible..

This should be done

I am toying with the idea of writing a function to do this just for me in PHP (As I do not know Python but do run an Apache server on my box)

• dgcaseydgcasey Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I believe that it's simply because they don't care. If they did it would have been fixed by now. It doesn't take five+ years to fix something like this. So, the only conclusion is that they don't care.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Posts: 1,714Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex is too busy with stupid crap like DVR, Cloud, PMS on Routers, and Many, MANY other things not related to their core function of a media server.

Makes to much sense to fix bugs and add functions related to the basic business of a media server.

It truly is a shame.

• user654784user654784 Posts: 34Members ✭✭
    edited February 5

any news ? it have been few years..

• Shr00m76Shr00m76 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Added a recent family movie about a Beast and pretty girl, look at the cast and the main actress is not even listed. Go to edit her in and ...ummm ...something appears to be missing. Other media centers allow this. Plex you lead the way in this field but don't allow this basic feature?

Guys, you have a rep to live up to... can we get this function added already?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@Shr00m76 said:
    Added a recent family movie about a Beast and pretty girl, look at the cast and the main actress is not even listed. Go to edit her in and ...ummm ...something appears to be missing. Other media centers allow this. Plex you lead the way in this field but don't allow this basic feature?

Guys, you have a rep to live up to... can we get this function added already?

That sounds very odd - I assume you followed the Plex naming convention so that your movie was matched correctly?

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• astrofisherastrofisher Plex Dwarf Star Posts: 5,513Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ Shr00m76 In addition to checking your naming, check your agent settings. Just checked that movie and all the main actors show up.

Jim

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    Rule #32 "Enjoy the little things"