Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS auto-update shouldn't require admin password

njoroglenjorogle Members, Plex Pass Posts: 30 Plex Pass

Once of the features mentioned in 0.9.11.4 (correct me if I'm wrong) was the PMS could now auto-update.  I logged onto the web app today and say that there was an update so I clicked update, however...

- It's not really an auto-update if I have to check if there's an update then click a button.  I'd expect that an auto update just updates automatically.  Am I missing a setting here, or is this feature missing?

- The update requires an admin password.  This is a serious no-no for me when I install any software on OSX.  I had to manually download 0.9.11.5 and install it manually.  Doing it this way did not require a password.

The first point is a preference, but the second point is extremely important. PMS is a good mac citizen, but strange that the auto-update is not.

Any chance this could be fixed please?

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 6,981 Plex Employee

We'll look into it!

(And it can't completely automatically update because it needs to restart and apply the update, c.f. Chrome)

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• ThomasDK81ThomasDK81 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Any news?
    The requirement of the admin pass, prevents me from updating from the Web Gui. I still have to log on to the Mac remotely

• mplantemplante Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Bumping this as searching I have not found anything. I would like to have Plex update without password requirement. I realize this is likely an Apple requirement.

The auto update will trigger but I always have to access my machine running PMS and enter my admin password to allow.

Is there a way around this?

• SE56SE56 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,290 Plex Pass

@mplante said:
    Bumping this as searching I have not found anything. I would like to have Plex update without password requirement. I realize this is likely an Apple requirement.

The auto update will trigger but I always have to access my machine running PMS and enter my admin password to allow.

Is there a way around this?

With User accounts are you in the Admin account, also look at your Security and Privacy preferences. This will be different in versions of MacOS

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• EvypooEvypoo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Just checking if there is any way around this? I also run a 'headless' mac mini on the network that I have to remote into and type my admin password every time there is a server update. This prevents me from updating through a streaming device or the web interface on another machine. Thank you!

• axelra82axelra82 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass

I'm also looking for a solution, to not have to connect with the MacOS (El Capitan) just to enter a password... extra enjoying when it performs auto update during the night and is "locked" and waiting for a password to continue with/finish the update.

Isn't there som file/folder we can just grant access to, so that it doesn't need to re-authenticate every time?

• KarbonaraKarbonara Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

This is my number one frustration with plex at the moment.
    I want to autoupdate, but every time I have to manually enter the admin password.

And It's especially frustrating when I'm away and the updater runs, can't continue due to password, and the plex server is then kept offline until I can get to it,

edited April 15

@Karbonara said:
    I want to autoupdate, but every time I have to manually enter the admin password.

And It's especially frustrating when I'm away and the updater runs, can't continue due to password, and the plex server is then kept offline until I can get to it,

Are you talking about MacOS admin password

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• ChrisAWallaceChrisAWallace Members, Plex Pass Posts: 300 Plex Pass

Auto-updating a Plex servers seems like bad practice anyway. I always download the new version from the website, update and then archive the download. That way if I have to move back a version or two, I have the archived downloads to use.

@ChrisAWallace said:
    Auto-updating a Plex servers seems like bad practice anyway. I always download the new version from the website, update and then archive the download. That way if I have to move back a version or two, I have the archived downloads to use.

I'm not sure but he maybe not logged in as admin but a user without administration rights. Totally agree about Auto update.

It's best to keep some historical installers as most have experienced over time.

• robgranholmrobgranholm Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass

@SE56 said:

@Karbonara said:

Are you talking about MacOS admin password

Yes, this drives me crazy, any way to fix/resolve this?

• DEfusionDEfusion Members, Plex Pass Posts: 36 Plex Pass

This is driving me crazy too, it's made even more annoying by the Apple TV version offering upgrade options every time a new upgrade releases if you don't have auto update on.