If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any intention to add GPU (OpenCL/Cuda) acceleration?

eire1274eire1274 Posts: 7Members Plex Pass

I recently changed over from ReadyDLNA to Plex, largely for the remote access that is handled very nicely by Plex Media Server (and was tricky doing port forwarding on my home network on ReadyDLNA), and my kids have quickly adapted to this as the easiest way to watch a movie... hand Dad the new disc, and ask very patiently when Plex will have it up so they can watch. Yes, I have replaced enough DVD/BR discs that I decided enough was enough.

Anyway, while my FreeNAS (FreeBSD OS) box is currently on an Athlon 5350 APU, I'm seeing that while the 2.05Ghz*4 CPU base is far more than sufficient to stream HD to 2 or 3 clients, I am not seeing ANY activity on the embedded R3 GPU. The driver base is loaded and the GPU is recognized as a processor, but Plex MS doesn't seem to use the GPU in any way on FreeBSD... and I may be wrong, but I can't find any reference on other operating systems including GPU acceleration.

By speeds, the wimpy R3 GPU should still be able to decode and recode 5-6 sessions (based on my H.264 encoding method) without needing the CPU at all. I would very much like to see GPU acceleration in Plex as it would reduce CPU strain on low-temp low-power units like mine.

Nick

AMD Athlon 5350 APU: 4*.2.05Ghz CPU, Radeon 8400 GPU  |  Asus AS1M-A Motherboard   |  Crucial 2*8Gb ECC Unbuffered 1600Mhz RAM
Kingspec 16Gb SSD  |  Mediasonic HP1-SS3 eSATA PCIe Card  |  2*Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 Enclosures  |  8*WD Green 2TB HD  |  FreeNAS 9.1.2.9, ZFS volume in two-disk failsafe

Comments

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,730Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Before OpenCL/Cuda could be implemented in Plex,  it would need to be implemented by the FFMPEG project, which Plex uses the libraries from.

We, as users, are not informed of what may be coming down the pipe until it's actually announced.  Sure, there are always rumors / hints based on recent changes, but there is no published roadmap for us to refer to.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• sremicksremick Posts: 1,149Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Will a graphics card make x264 encode faster?

Not necessarily. ​x264 supports OpenCL for some lookahead operations. There are also some proprietary encoders that utilize the GPU, but that does not mean they are well optimized, though encoding time may be faster; and they might be ​worse than vanilla x264, and possibly slower. Regardless, FFmpeg today doesn't support any means of GPU encoding, outside of libx264.

From: http://git.videolan.org/?p=x264.git;a=commit;h=3a5f6c0aeacfcb21e7853ab4879f23ec8ae5e042

Because of data dependencies, the GPU must use an iterative motion search which
    performs more total work than the CPU would do, so this is not work efficient
    or power efficient. But if there are spare GPU cycles to spare, it can often
    speed up the encode. Output quality when OpenCL lookahead is enabled is often
    very slightly worse in quality than the CPU quality (because of the same data
    dependencies).

From: http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#Advanced-Video-options

Note that most acceleration methods are intended for playback and will not be faster than software decoding on modern CPUs. Additionally, ffmpeg will usually need to copy the decoded frames from the GPU memory into the system memory, resulting in further performance loss. This option is thus mainly useful for testing.

Also see:

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/92874-gpu-offloading-timed-library-refresh/

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1239375

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• eire1274eire1274 Posts: 7Members Plex Pass

Power requirements mean pretty much nothing to me, as the entire APU is still only 25W with 4 CPUs and the GPU maxed out.

However, I did want to mention that I patched to the latest Plex MS plugin and my CPU usage dropped through the floor. I've had 4 clients watching full HD with the processor barely budging over 20%. OpenCL would be nice, just to move processing over (as Ready DLNA did), as this server is used... well, as a server. DLNA is really its second task.

Nick

AMD Athlon 5350 APU: 4*.2.05Ghz CPU, Radeon 8400 GPU  |  Asus AS1M-A Motherboard   |  Crucial 2*8Gb ECC Unbuffered 1600Mhz RAM
    Kingspec 16Gb SSD  |  Mediasonic HP1-SS3 eSATA PCIe Card  |  2*Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 Enclosures  |  8*WD Green 2TB HD  |  FreeNAS 9.1.2.9, ZFS volume in two-disk failsafe

• sunpreetsunpreet Posts: 1Members

To revive this topic - I believe FFMPEG now supports OpenCL

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

• sremicksremick Posts: 1,149Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a single PCIe slot and would happily stick an nVidia card in it if it would be utilized somehow.

My server (35W idle, silent):

Software: PMS 1.7.1.3856 running in a jail on FreeNAS 9.10.2
    Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini-ITX Server Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3 Quad-Core 3.6GHz 8MB LGA1150 (Passmark: 10204)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A
    RAM: Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V CT2KIT102472BD160B
    HDDs: 6x WD Red NAS 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" WD30EFRX (RAIDZ2)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum Series SS-400FL2 Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS Platinum Certified
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (8.27"x9.84"x14.72")

• telsonalvatelsonalva Posts: 10Members ✭✭

any news ?

• therealgingertherealginger Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just started googling about this, first thread I saw - I'd love to see this as well. I have a pretty hefty NVidia GTX card I could use for this in my FreeNAS box.

• adamhessleradamhessler Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would be interested in this feature as well.

• SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does gpu hardware acceleration even provide good quality images? Last I heard was that it didn't. Hardware offloading is great but in this case quality is probably better.