Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to use multi-user on Xbox one

bartzjoshbartzjosh Posts: 31 Plex Pass
edited December 2014 in Xbox One

Ok, after getting help and reading other topics I finally figured this out myself and I can't say it was the easiest solution. So I'm posting this to possibly help others who are struggling.

Per all the smarter people than I that found the information: You can only have one plex account hooked to one GamerTag. (Thank you adamskoog!)

So if you have more than one xbox or more than one user on the xbox you have, you will always get prompted for a PIN if you keep associating the PIN with the PlexPass account.

To correct this do the following:

1. Go to your Plex web app as the Plex user logged in (Assuming you are the Plex Pass user)
  2. Go to Settings > Users > My Home
  3. Now click 'add user'
  4. Click 'add existing plex user' 1
  5. After they have accepted the invite have them click 'launch' on the plex.tv website. 2
  6. It should prompt for a pin, have them create one
  7. Now have the non-plex pass user sign into their Xbox GamerTag and launch the Plex app
  8. It should prompt for a PIN  3
  9. Have them make sure they are still logged in as themselves at Plex.tv and then go to http://plex.tv/pin
  10. They should enter their PIN displayed on the Xbox screen in the website
  11. Your Xbox should then load the shared library, if not see below.

1 To get this to work you must click this option over 'create a managed user', each user/GamerTag must have their own Plex account. But it can be a free account, doesn't have to be a paid plex pass account.

2 This step may not be nessessary, but it worked for me so I'm adding it. Plus it's an added feature that you/they may want? Also, the Xbox app doesn't prompt for the pin.

3 If it does not prompt for a PIN then sign into your GamerTag as the Plex Pass user and re-associate your GamerTag with your Plex Pass account via the PIN on screen when you're signed into your Plex account at http://plex.tv/pin

If you receive a message on your Xbox about a server not being found do the following:

1. Click the 'Go home' option on your xbox
  2. It will start trying to detect the Plex Server, but it is trying to detect their Plex Server. Which unless they have one seperate from you, it will never find and keep saying 'server not found'.
  3. So, while it is detecting click right, over to the box with the down arrow and select the shared server.
  4. It should load the server that is shared right away
  5. Done!

Thanks to all the awesome people trying to explain this to everyone: adamskoog, nightwing12, and Monsieur Latte to name a few.

Hopefully this helps others and I didn't confuse you further. ^_^

** If they are using an Xbox 360 and not getting a prompt for a PIN have them press 'x' in the Plex app and sign out.

Comments

• SilverseeSilversee Posts: 20 Plex Pass

Thank you for taking the time to post this.  But I have to say, if the devs are listening, that it would be a LOT simpler if Plex on Xbox simply worked like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon and allow all console users to share the same steaming account. Forcing us to create dummy Plex accounts for children and spouses just so they can have a decent experience using Xbox is incredibly consumer unfriendly.

• VSorceressVSorceress Posts: 1 Plex Pass
    edited January 2015

Thank you so much for posting this. I was looking to set it up with my boyfriend on his xbox but thought he would need a premium pass. the Home Account solution I think will resolve this problem. 

SilverSee1 wrote on December 24 2014, 2:02 PM: »

But I have to say, if the devs are listening, that it would be a LOT simpler if Plex on Xbox simply worked like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon and allow all console users to share the same steaming account. Forcing us to create dummy Plex accounts for children and spouses just so they can have a decent experience using Xbox is incredibly consumer unfriendly.

They probably did it  to prevent a large group of people from accessing someone's account that has a crap ton of movies/tv shows/music that was acquired from other sources, which would likely result from lawsuits from media industry executives. The happy workaround to this is that you can have up to 15 accounts. Additionally once this painful set up is done, you don't have to think about it again (until you invite another user to see your library) 

• SeaGrizzlySeaGrizzly Posts: 1 Plex Pass

I have tried this and it always says plex pass required, what am I missing?

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,249 Plex Ninja
    edited January 2015
    SeaGrizzly wrote on January 19 2015, 4:33 PM: »

I have tried this and it always says plex pass required, what am I missing?

Might want to tell us exactly what you have done, otherwise without actually looking it's going to be difficult for us to help you troubleshoot based that sentence. Obviously some step was missed.

Btw: Can we get this stickied?

• dkdevikdkdevik Posts: 13 ✭✭
    VSorceress wrote on January 17 2015, 3:25 PM: »

Thank you so much for posting this. I was looking to set it up with my boyfriend on his xbox but thought he would need a premium pass. the Home Account solution I think will resolve this problem. 

They probably did it  to prevent a large group of people from accessing someone's account that has a crap ton of movies/tv shows/music that was acquired from other sources, which would likely result from lawsuits from media industry executives. The happy workaround to this is that you can have up to 15 accounts. Additionally once this painful set up is done, you don't have to think about it again (until you invite another user to see your library) 

Late response but that makes absolutely no sense lol

• ynnojynnoj Posts: 92 Plex Pass

Thanks for sharing, works flawlessly.

• KaohKaoh Posts: 197 Plex Pass

I prefer this way over the way Netflix does it. For me after this complex setup it is better. When my Kinect logs in my kid and he starts Plex, he gets his libraries. Great.

With Netflix he still needs to select himself, something the Kinect allready did. Options do rule, byt I would not want to miss this feature.

An option to switch the xbox one profile from within Plex would be killer though.

• mij1525mij1525 Posts: 2 Plex Pass

So no one else has any trouble getting this work around to work?  I've followed each step to the letter here and I can't get this to work.  I keep getting the Plex Pass Required message.

Regardless, this is a terrible user experience.  Why is this still an issue 7 months after it's been reported?  Seriously?

Come on, guys.  I expect better.

How do you mean issue? It isn't an outstanding issue other than that you can't use managed users at the moment. It's really not difficult to get working. I've got 3 other people using my server and the xbox and playstation apps with this setup.

1. Setup PlexHome

2. Create another plex.tv user account

3. Send invite to that user to join PlexHome

4. That user can now sign into Plex for Xbox One with the newly created plex.tv account while in their gamertag.

Are you sure you invited the user to PlexHome and not just a regular sharing request? They have to be part of plex home or this won't work because that is what facilitates the usage of the plex pass features for that user.

• mij1525mij1525 Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Thanks, Adamskoog.  I'll play with it more tonight.

Just seems like a hokie work-around that the user shouldn't have to deal with.  Very frustrating and yes, I'd say it's an issue that needs to be addressed.  If this was free software, I wouldn't complain but people shell out $150- specifically for this feature.  I shouldn't have to grind a layer off of my teeth trying to get it to work.

As stated, this is preview software and incomplete. If you are paying for a plex pass soley for this app then you are likely going to be unhappy and I would recommend waiting for the actual release. Think of it this way, before plex home every user had to have plex pass and there was all manner of complaining at that. I personally like the way this works, but can understand why people would rather use the managed user (similar to netflix profiles) instead as it simplifies this issue.

Good luck getting it working. If your still having trouble feel free to post back and explain what you have tried so we can help troubleshoot. :)

• JesseKing3JesseKing3 Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Totally not an ideal flow, I feel like we need to have an option when the preview is done for single user on all accounts tied to the console itself. 

Hopefully this is just a preview issue, trying to tie this to plexpass.

Thanks.

Jesse

• timlastoriatimlastoria Posts: 13 Plex Pass

+1 for Plex on Xbox One working like Netflix.  I currently have 4 XB1's and adding a couple more soon.

• McKingsMcKings Posts: 3 Plex Pass

how about just making work like on every other device. select a profile and type in the code.

McKings wrote on May 6 2015, 5:36 PM: »

how about just making work like on every other device. select a profile and type in the code.

The reason here is that it hasn't been developed yet. The application is still in full scale development and not feature complete, I would guess they are planning to have the ability to use managed users by the final release (when it's out of Plex Pass Preview).

I personally like it this way better, you log into your profile on xbox and you don't have to worry about typing a pin into Plex (which is especially nice when if you have a password on your Xbox Live account you have already had to put that in as well). Just a preference, and I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the ability to do it both ways.

• gertgermangertgerman Posts: 760 Plex Pass

Am I right in thinking the plex XB1 app only works if you have an xbox gold subscription? I have one but if I set up any other users via their gamertag do they also need an active gold account? Could work out expensive if they do.

No, Microsoft has made it so you no longer need gold for any of the media applications (Plex, Neflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc).

Regardless, that would only be an issue on the 360 anyway if the primary Xbox One user has gold, as the other users that are signed in on it will inherit gold from the primary user (actually quite similar to how Plex Home will let non Plex Pass users use Plex Pass features).

So really in short, you should be good to add your users. :)

• mike4001mike4001 Posts: 489 Plex Pass
    edited May 2015

1) No Plex does not need an Xbox Live Gold account. The (free) silver account works just fine.

2) (For the record), when the main user of your Xbox One has a gold account all other accounts on that xbox can also use Gold features (= they basically have also Gold without extra paying for it)

EDIT: Beaten ;-)

• gertgermangertgerman Posts: 760 Plex Pass
    Cheers guys. Don't I feel a fool having bought an Xbox gold account just for plex lol

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  • ReaperSauceReaperSauce Posts: 4 Plex Pass

The problem I am having with making PlexHome accounts for each Xbox One is that the play data is not carried over between Xboxs.

Xbox One in living room: Watch half a movie, then decide to finish watching in bedroom

Xbox in Bedroom: Where did I leave off? Now I have to find the spot and fast forward to it to finish. 

Bah! I'm used to the resume feature and count on it to remember for me.

Looks like I will continue to use my Chromecast in the bedroom until this is fixed.

This discussion has been closed.