If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku won't discover my Plex Server all of a sudden!

I have been using Plex for years with minimal issues, which I have always been able to figure out pretty quickly.

I use Plex on my Roku and on my LG Smart TV.

A couple weeks ago, I think the Plex channel on Roku had an update, and once it was done, all of my movies disappeared. The plex channel couldn't discover my server, and wouldn't work when I manually input the IP address. Netflix, Amazon, etc. are still working fine on the Roku.

Plex still works fine and all my movies still show up with my LG Smart TV, so i can't figure out what the issue is here.

Please advise!

Thanks.

Comments

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,932Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

There is a possibility manually added servers will not work, if you have connected a Plex Account on the Roku with no published servers. 

1. Have you connected a Plex Account to the Roku?
    2. If so, then please make sure you have connected/published your server successfully. https://support.plex...ecting-a-Server.

​If you have successfully connected your server and this is still an issue, please include your Roku logs here. You could also try disconnected the Roku account, which should also fix the manual connection, however you will loose access to the queue and recommendations.

kingb51 wrote on December 23 2014, 1:43 AM: »

I have been using Plex for years with minimal issues, which I have always been able to figure out pretty quickly.

I use Plex on my Roku and on my LG Smart TV.

A couple weeks ago, I think the Plex channel on Roku had an update, and once it was done, all of my movies disappeared. The plex channel couldn't discover my server, and wouldn't work when I manually input the IP address. Netflix, Amazon, etc. are still working fine on the Roku.

Plex still works fine and all my movies still show up with my LG Smart TV, so i can't figure out what the issue is here.

Please advise!

Thanks.

• kingb51kingb51 Posts: 3Members

I tried downloading my logs by visiting the exact address plex on Roku told me to visit. 

It said webpage not available.

I did enable remote logging, and I logged on and tried to discover the server with no success today at 10:05am pst.

Any ideas?

• kingb51kingb51 Posts: 3Members

Any help here? I've been without Plex on my roku for weeks now :(

• cgabbcgabb Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i am in the same boat cant get plex on roku 

• mahjohnmahjohn Posts: 153Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This may be redundant but worth checking anyway:

1. Has the Plex server IP changed? 
    2. Any firewall updates
    3. Have you disabled Windows and or other firewalls to test
    4. Is your Roku eth or wifi
    5. If eth have you connected a laptop to the same jack to test for connectivity to Plex via web
    6. If eth have you tried to telnet to Plex from that port to verify it's open for business
    7. If wifi, has Roku connected to a new "open" wifi network?
    8. Does Netflix or other Roku channels work
    9. Has the port that Plex listens to changed
  • matrixbudmatrixbud Posts: 8Members ✭✭

KingB51,

Also somewhat redundant, but worth emphasizing... A recently installed Firewall or changes in Firewall settings could cause Plex on Roku to suddenly stop working.

I had this happen with LittleSnitch: I had to tell it to allow any outgoing connections for Plex. And, also, McAfee Internet Suite has a firewall that blocked Plex for me. I tried entering a setting to tell McAfee to allow Plex connections, but somehow that didn't work and I had to disable the firewall part of the McAfee suite. Once I made these 2 changes, Plex on Roku and also on my iPads worked.

• bozopolisbozopolis Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having trouble on my ROKUs connecting to the server. Either it won't connect at all or it tells me a direct connection isn't available and it's using relay. I did get a different modem installed on the network and I'm pretty sure that's what has caused this. The only thing I'm not sure of is how to fix it.