Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PLEX on 2 XBOX 360's

jmontaguejmontague Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

So i just got PLEX up and running. Pretty slick however I have my first problem. I paid for Plex Pass and got PLEX installed on my 360. Tested working great. I go down to basment and add it to that XBOX 360. works great however when i go back to my first xbox its asking me to sign in again. I do, and for fun go check 2nd xbox. its asking me to sign in again as well. Why can't i be signed in on both of my xbox 360's?

Comments

• jmontaguejmontague Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

wow this forum is so helpful. know i get why you can't actually email/call anyone in "support."

I pay for "plus" yet there is still limitations. whats the deal? they going to offer PLUS plus so you can ACTUALLY use all your devices like their advertisement says?

• jkallandjkalland Members, Plex Pass Posts: 535 Plex Pass

Are the 2 XBoxes logged in to different XBL accounts? I don't have an XBox to test on, but I seem to recall that you could only tie 1 XBL account to a Plex account, and logging into a second one disconnected the first (again, not 100% sure that's the issue, but it should be easy enough to test on your end if you have 2 XBoxes)

• RandomNinjaAtk02RandomNinjaAtk02 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 178 Plex Pass

If your using the same XBL account, it won't work. This is not a Plex issue, but just in general how Xbox Live accounts have always functioned. An Xbox Live user can only be logged into one console at a time. When you login to the second Xbox it will immediately log you out of the first one.

You can use both devices with the same XBL account, just not simultaneously. To use it simultaneously, you will need to use multiple XBL accounts. This is not a Plex limitation, this is how Xbox Live works for verification purposes.

• michaelwalker73michaelwalker73 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
    jmontague wrote on December 29 2014, 1:07 PM: »

So i just got PLEX up and running. Pretty slick however I have my first problem. I paid for Plex Pass and got PLEX installed on my 360. Tested working great. I go down to basment and add it to that XBOX 360. works great however when i go back to my first xbox its asking me to sign in again. I do, and for fun go check 2nd xbox. its asking me to sign in again as well. Why can't i be signed in on both of my xbox 360's?

Is it asking you to sign into Xbox Live or Plex?

I have a different xbox gold(free one) account on both.

So if i put the same live account on both it will keep me logged in?

What about family's with PLEX? i'm a single guy so this works for me how in the heck are you guys using PLEX with a family? every person has to use a different KIND of device to connect or is this just an XBOX limitation? can 4 ROKU's connect at the same time? 4 iPhones? etc.

RandomNinjaAtk:

This is a PLEX issue. Sorry man but why does plex need to use XBOX live account? there is no need to tie any function to PLEX. the PLEX app opens and you log in. no part of that function should include any part of xbox live account.

Thanks for the help everyone i'll test out using the same XBL account on both boxes and see if it keeps me logged into PLEX.

I think XBox apps require XBL tie-ins, but I could be wrong.

As for the multi-devices stuff, it's strictly an XBox thing, I think. I currently have the following all hooked up at once:

1. Roku 2 XD
    2. Roku 3
    3. Galaxy Note 3
    4. Galaxy S4 Mini
    5. Droid Incredible (the old, old, original one...don't judge. Soon to be replaced by a slightly newer but still old iPhone 4)
    6. 2 HP TouchPads running CM11
    7. 1 PC running PHT

All of them stay auto-logged in and behave in the same network just fine. I'm currently trying to get my brother-in-law's XBox 360 working, but his router sucks and I can't seem to get it to even see the damned server, so there are other issues afoot beyond the XBL/Plex ID matchups.

• rsavarsava Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,558 Plex Pass
    jmontague wrote on December 31 2014, 1:15 PM: »

What about family's with PLEX? i'm a single guy so this works for me how in the heck are you guys using PLEX with a family? every person has to use a different KIND of device to connect or is this just an XBOX limitation? can 4 ROKU's connect at the same time? 4 iPhones? etc.

RandomNinjaAtk:

This is a PLEX issue. Sorry man but why does plex need to use XBOX live account? there is no need to tie any function to PLEX. the PLEX app opens and you log in. no part of that function should include any part of xbox live account.

Thanks for the help everyone i'll test out using the same XBL account on both boxes and see if it keeps me logged into PLEX.

I have a multitude of devices (multiple Rokus, both 3s and 2s, multiple iPads, and multiple iPhones) connected at the same time, so no, every person does not need to use a different kind of device.

As a far as it being a "PLEX issue" - sorry man but if that is what Microsoft requires then it is not a Plex issue.

Same XBL account on them fixes the log out issue.

There is no reason for PLEX to use XBL when connecting. Its an app. the app uses network to access server. Just like all the other clients. I understand that currently XBL account is involved in this "process" but it shouldn't be. Hopefully thats fixed in the future.

guess i should of asked for a Roku for Christmas! always next year i guess  :mellow:  Thanks for the assistance everyone. I really do love this app. 

I'm honestly not sure if that's an option. I think MS may require them to funnel through XBL in order to be sold through the XBL store like that, for better or worse. (Someone who develops for XBox can confirm, but I'm about 80% certain that's the case)

• XimmortalXimmortal Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass
    edited January 2015

I have 4 Xbox 360's because I use Windows MCE for television and I have tried lots of combinations and can't get Plex to stop asking for a PIN or Sign In.

Some facts:

- A single Xbox Live account (free/gold) can only be signed into a single Xbox at a time.

* Because of this, I typically use a different Live account on each Xbox 360

- Signing in or registering the Xbox 360 via PIN doesn't stick regardless of using same/different Xbox Live accounts.

This really needs to be fixed.  Having to sign in almost every time really takes away from the user experience. If it can't be fixed do to Xbox Live tie-in, can you guys make some suggestions on how to minimize the need to sign in over and over?

Thanks Plex, you guys are awesome!

X

• ZintahZintah Members Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I also have 3 xbox's in the house for each kid with different XBL accounts and have purchased a plex pass simply for this benefit, which now appears as though it isn't going to work the way I hoped. As others have said, hopefully this limitation is fixed.

• Heisenberg45Heisenberg45 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 16 Plex Pass
    jmontague wrote on December 29 2014, 1:07 PM: »

I am going to be facing the same situation myself since I have three 360s in my house. I think the solution would be to setup pseudo accounts for each Xbox just for this purpose- something like (profile name) PlexXboxLivingRoom, PlexXboxBonusRoom, etc. You'll obviously need to setup MS Live accounts for each as well, but those are free too, so no real issues there. And since Plex accounts are free, setup accounts for each Xbox profile you've created, and then add them to your Plex Home account, either as Full or Managed Users.

So yeah, a lot of extra legwork, but fortunately it's not that difficult. Now I haven't tried this on my setup yet since I am still working through other things, but this should work.

BTW- I had read this before going to bed and I just laid in bed for about an hour before coming up with this, LOL.

• grantcooper@hotmail.comgrantcooper@hotmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass

Can't someone from Plex just admit Plex on 360 is a **** fail?

edited February 2015

grantcooper@hotmail.com wrote on February 2 2015, 5:23 PM: »

Can't someone from Plex just admit Plex on 360 is a **** fail?

You should have each user have their own Xbox Live Silver or Gold account and a separate Plex.tv account for each user that is tied together.

Then associate each Plex.tv account to the Plex Home account with Plex pass and it will work for everyone. Beauty of this, is that everyone has individual tracking and it doesn't matter which console they sit at to watch. They just login with there Xbox Live account like normal, load the app and start playing.

It works this way on Xbox One and Xbox 360, no need to get your panties in a bunch. It does require setup for all the accounts, but this is how you should be using it anyways, you should not be sharing accounts....

• bulldogjer80bulldogjer80 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

This doesn't work because you can only link your plex account to one xbox account.  You have to link a paid plex account in order to use it.  The only way would be to have 2 paid plex accounts.  I'm a new plex paid member and this is defeating the purpose of my membership.

edited February 2015
    bulldogjer80 wrote on February 25 2015, 4:08 AM: »

This doesn't work because you can only link your plex account to one xbox account.  You have to link a paid plex account in order to use it.  The only way would be to have 2 paid plex accounts.  I'm a new plex paid member and this is defeating the purpose of my membership.

Not true if using Plex Home, I have about 10 users using exactly what I stated previously. And I am the only one that has a Paid Plex Pass account. Plex Home will allow you up to 15 users to use the apps for free. 

And my users are spread out over different clients, mostly Xbox One and Playstation 4, but it should work for the 360 and PS3 also.

• KingSizedKillaKingSizedKilla Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I'm seeing this same exact issue. 2 Xbox 360's with multiple Xbox Live profiles (for my kids). I've created non-Plex Pass accounts for two of my kids and I have my own Plex Pass account. When I switch between profiles, I am prompted to log in. Any other suggestions?

• adamskoogadamskoog Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 2,262 Plex Ninja

So for those 3 plex accounts, you have 3 separate xbox live accounts? The account linking is 1 Plex -> 1 Xbox Live. Issues arise when you are trying to use 1 Plex account with 2 Xbox live accounts because it will only link 1 at a time.

The Plex Pass is not a requirement anymore on the Xbox apps either, so that's really a moot point.

• jd1337jd1337 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Sigh - this 1 Plex to 1 Xbox account is a real pain. Both Xbox One and Xbox 360 at least work separately but it's really a major oversight on Plex's part to have only a 1-1 matching on each generation. Why can't plex be 1 Plex - Many Xbox?

Is the solution to create additional Plex accounts and share the library? What happens to the Plex pass features for the secondary account?
    Is there any way to get it working?

I have 3 Xbox 360s and 2 Xbox Ones that I'm constantly having to sign in on as I move around. Or just need to log in to different accounts on the Xbox One