If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] wmc2Plex - LiveTV with ServerWMC

salphonsosalphonso Posts: 176Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 2016 in Plex Channel Plugins

First off, thank you to Krustyreturns for his help with this project and also his on going development of ServerWMC which is allowing us to integrate Windows Media Center's LiveTV functionality with Plex.  

You can learn more about ServerWMC and download it here. ServerWMC Wiki . It is required, along with Windows Media Center, for this channel to function.

You can get more information/documentation on ServerWMC and wmc2plex by clicking this link. (Thank you Ianj001 for putting this together)

This channel is in it very early Alpha stages.  Currently it will only work with a TV tuner that has DLNA capabilities such as the HDHomeRun Prime.

Current Version: Alpha 0.11.3

Current functionality:

- Get list of LiveTV channels without EPG data

- Get list of channels in Guide Section with EPG data.

- See what is currently playing on those channels

- Stream those channels.

- Get full listings for 'x' amount of days when in channel object (added 1/8/2015) - See Post 18 for more info

- List scheduled recordings, Cancel Scheduled recordings (added 1/16/2015) *This is for single items only.  Series management is not implemented yet.

- transcoding profiles (added 1/16/2015)

- Ability to record currently playing programs (added 1/16/2015)

- Work with non-DLNA capable tuners.

- View/stream recordings

- List scheduled Series Recordings

- Manage and schedule Series Recordings

Future plans:

- Functional EPG for those clients that can support it.  (This may not be possible through the current Channel API)

- Rewind, Pause and Fast Forward on live TV. 

This was Developed on Windows 8.1.

Plex Version : 0.9.16.0

Server OS Tested : Windows 8.1, Synology(Thanks Rog), QNAP(Thanks Breezy)

Clients Tested : Plex Home Theater, Plex Web, Roku 3,Plex Android, Plex Samsung, Plex iOS

Networks: Tested on LAN, WiFi, and over 4G network on Android. (This means successful streaming of LiveTv from your home to anywhere in the world as long as you have a decent cell connection.)

Settings in wmc2plex channel:

serverwmcip - put in the ip of your machine running ServerWMC.  Default is localhost.

serverwmc_port - If you changed the port when ServerWMC was installed put that in.  Default is 9080.

server_wmc_epg_days - This will dictate how many days of EPG (guide) info to get.  default is 7.  This is more for future use as in its current state it only shows what is now playing on the channels.

debug_level - If you are having trouble please change this to Verbose, restart Plex and recreate the issue.  Submit the logs.  Otherwise, default is normal but can be turned to none.

Again, thank you to Krustyreturns and other who have helped with this project.  I will release another Alpha build when the next phase is complete.

You can get the plugin from github via this link - wmc2lpex

NOTE* : Keep in mind that the DLNA stream from the tuner will be transcoded by Plex.  

When you are looking at scheduled recordings, keep in mind, clicking the item will cancel the recording.  

IMPORTANT: When posting issues please provide log files.  You can find out how to get the log files for the plugin here.

Comments

• kaltkalt Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2015

Nice work salphonso, i tried out the plugin on Windows 8.1 and it connected to serverwmc but i'm getting channel not responding after the EPG entries are transfered.

Here is my debug log

• salphonsosalphonso Posts: 176Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks Rog.  I forgot one little piece of the setup that tells ServerWMC to feed to the url to the channel.

On the ServerWMC interface on the debug tab you click edit settings at the bottom left.  This opens the config.xml.  Look for this line:

<UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>false</UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>

and change it to:

<UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>true</UseDLNAChannels_Kodi>

Click Reload Settings.

Also, if you switch logging to Verbose in the setting, make sure you restart the Plex Services.  Not sure why but, it does not switch it unless you do this.  Make sure after you get the log you switch it back though.  It does some heavy logging on every communication between Plex and ServerWMC.  If you need to submit another log there should be 5 log files for the wmc2plex channel.
  • BreezytmBreezytm Posts: 977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 2015

Hey buddy. Thanks for taking the time to work on this plugin. The community and I appreciate your hard work greatly. But I also am having similar issue. My 'UseDLNAChannels' is already set to true since i use serverwmc with both Kodi and MB3 without any issues. I don't get the epg and recordings. Nothing at all for that matter. 

When I click on Channels I get the following error message: Server unavailable. We couldn't reach "QNAPSERVER". Make sure it's online and try again. 

QNAPSERVER - My plex server name

When I click on recordings I get this error: The channel is not responding

Here's the log. I'ts set to verbose 

edited January 2015

Recordings are currently a WIP.  The Icon is actually just a placeholder.  The only thing that should be working now is Channels.  Sorry for the confusion.

It is getting the proper info from ServerWMC.  I updated github to remove the Recording Icon to prevent confusion with others. 

Is QNAPSERVER where ServerWMC is running?

Can you change the settings EPG days to 1, Restart Plex and get the new logs after hitting the Channel icon please?  I need to change that default since its pointless to have more right now.

edited January 2015
    salphonso wrote on January 6 2015, 3:23 PM: »

Thanks Rog.  I forgot one little piece of the setup that tells ServerWMC to feed to the url to the channel.

On the ServerWMC interface on the debug tab you click edit settings at the bottom left.  This opens the config.xml.  Look for this line:

and change it to:

Click Reload Settings.

Also, if you switch logging to Verbose in the setting, make sure you restart the Plex Services.  Not sure why but, it does not switch it unless you do this.  Make sure after you get the log you switch it back though.  It does some heavy logging on every communication between Plex and ServerWMC.  If you need to submit another log there should be 5 log files for the wmc2plex channel.

Thanks a bunch salphonso, i have it working on Windows and my synology PMS. Please keep up the good work, PVR is sole reason i switched to XBMC. Let me know if you need further testing.

rog wrote on January 6 2015, 4:24 PM: »

Thanks a bunch salphonso, i have it working on Windows and my synology PMS. Please keep up the good work, PVR is sole reason i switched to XBMC. Let me know if you need further testing.

Thanks Rog.  I don't have any timelines but just keep an eye on the forum or github.  I'll post any big changes here but if you follow on github you may catch some small change submissions or some small changes that break it all.  I won't rest until I have drained the Plex Channel API for every last resource I can use to make this seamless and easy to use with all the functionality of a true PVR with an EPG on Plex.  :wacko:

salphonso wrote on January 6 2015, 4:17 PM: »

Recordings are currently a WIP.  The Icon is actually just a placeholder.  The only thing that should be working now is Channels.  Sorry for the confusion.

It is getting the proper info from ServerWMC.  I updated github to remove the Recording Icon to prevent confusion with others. 

Is QNAPSERVER where ServerWMC is running?

Can you change the settings EPG days to 1, Restart Plex and get the new logs after hitting the Channel icon please?  I need to change that default since its pointless to have more right now.

QNAPSERVER is the name of my Plex server. The name of the ServerWMC is HTPC. 

I just changed to 1 day and restarted the service but no juice. My son is crying so i have to attend to him but when I am done i'll send some logs. 

log file

edited January 2015

Hey salphonso, i'm i supposed to see program images and channel icons similar to this post. All i see now is the default plex icon.

rog wrote on January 6 2015, 5:10 PM: »

Hey salphonso, i'm i supposed to see program images and channel icons similar to this post. All i see now is the default plex icon.

I have some channel icons in the resource folder but this piece is something Krusty and I have been discussing.  Since Plex Channel API does not allow us access the file system directly, ServerWMC needs to feed the Channel url via http rather than SMB for the channel to access it.  I have the correct icons with the correct names in the Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\wmc2plex.bundle\Contents\Resources

So if you look at the log file for example, TNT for me looks for the tnthd_c.png in the resrouce folder.  If that's there it will load it.  The initial load sometimes take a while.

Now, Program images are completely different.  ServerWMC will send a http url similar to this one that it pulls from Windows Media Center

http://images.windowsmedia.com/tvcards/org/7735_19.jpg

Sometimes they exist sometimes they don't.

Better handling of this is in the future plan.

• krustyreturnskrustyreturns Posts: 110Members ✭✭

great another forum to keep track of :)

The biggest challenge to getting swmc to work with plex is making all the content available with urls (as salphonso said), but that's something that's been on our to do list for a while anyway.  I will release this build of swmc soon for testing after I get a copy into salphonso 's hands first, yeah - its very early.  Be he's come a long way fast.

krustyreturns wrote on January 6 2015, 7:28 PM: »

great another forum to keep track of :)

The biggest challenge to getting swmc to work with plex is making all the content available with urls (as salphonso said), but that's something that's been on our to do list for a while anyway.  I will release this build of swmc soon for testing after I get a copy into salphonso 's hands first, yeah - its very early.  Be he's come a long way fast.

I guess the slogan "the more the merrier" doesn't apply to all instances lol. You have to be doing something right if you made it to all platforms in such a short time. Give yourself a pat on the back for that. 

As always if you need assistance with testing, feel free to pm me with the built and i'll give a try. 

Breezytm wrote on January 6 2015, 3:52 PM: »

Hey buddy. Thanks for taking the time to work on this plugin. The community and I appreciate your hard work greatly. But I also am having similar issue. My 'UseDLNAChannels' is already set to true since i use serverwmc with both Kodi and MB3 without any issues. I don't get the epg and recordings. Nothing at all for that matter. 

When I click on Channels I get the following error message: Server unavailable. We couldn't reach "QNAPSERVER". Make sure it's online and try again. 

QNAPSERVER - My plex server name

When I click on recordings I get this error: The channel is not responding

Here's the log. I'ts set to verbose 

For anyone following.  Breezy and I worked on this and he found that it times out if you have a whole bunch of channels.  Not sure what the number limit is but if you have hundreds of channels it may time out.  Restrict the channels down to a lower number and it will resolves this.

salphonso wrote on January 6 2015, 5:27 PM: »

I have some channel icons in the resource folder but this piece is something Krusty and I have been discussing.  Since Plex Channel API does not allow us access the file system directly, ServerWMC needs to feed the Channel url via http rather than SMB for the channel to access it.  I have the correct icons with the correct names in the Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\wmc2plex.bundle\Contents\Resources

So if you look at the log file for example, TNT for me looks for the tnthd_c.png in the resrouce folder.  If that's there it will load it.  The initial load sometimes take a while.

Now, Program images are completely different.  ServerWMC will send a http url similar to this one that it pulls from Windows Media Center

http://images.windowsmedia.com/tvcards/org/7735_19.jpg

Sometimes they exist sometimes they don't.

Better handling of this is in the future plan.

Thanks, i got it working.

• ejdmeejdme Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting an error that says "This channel is not responding" after selecting Channels inside the plugin.

Log file: here

ejdme wrote on January 7 2015, 6:25 PM: »

I'm getting an error that says "This channel is not responding" after selecting Channels inside the plugin.

Log file: here

Thank you for testing.  Did you change the following in the ServerWMC config.

and change it to:

Click Reload Settings.

Pushed another release to github.

Added features:

When clicking on Channel object you can now see what is currently playing along with upcoming programs.  

Clicking on individual programs will give more details on that program.

Caveat:

Clicking play on any program will start the stream on that live TV channel.

Future plans:

Clicking on future programs will ask if you want to schedule a recording for that program.

Ability to play directly from the Channel Icon instead of having to go into that object.

Nice work, i just hope plex devs will be willing to help you with a functional EPG. 

rog wrote on January 8 2015, 9:14 PM: »

Nice work, i just hope plex devs will be willing to help you with a functional EPG. 

Thanks rog.  We'll cross that bridge when we get there but, hopefully we can make it happen.  

edited January 2015
    salphonso wrote on January 8 2015, 3:38 PM: »

Pushed another release to github.

Added features:

When clicking on Channel object you can now see what is currently playing along with upcoming programs.  

Clicking on individual programs will give more details on that program.

Caveat:

Clicking play on any program will start the stream on that live TV channel.

Future plans:

Clicking on future programs will ask if you want to schedule a recording for that program.

Ability to play directly from the Channel Icon instead of having to go into that object.

Can you import it to the unsupported appstore for automatic update.