Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to use Rasplex with RCA cable

pinezpinez Posts: 22Members ✭✭
Hello everyone,
I have a problem. I can not run Rasplex with the RCA cable.
I inform you that I have verified that the cable is the suitable one and on this there are no problems.
Before installing Rasplex. I had used my Raspberry Pi B + with sd NOOBS and an HDMI cable ... now I can not set everything correctly.
Can you help?
Thank You

Comments

• dlanordlanor Posts: 2,215Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    pinez wrote on January 13 2015, 12:55 PM: »

Hello everyone,
    I have a problem. I can not run Rasplex with the RCA cable.
    I inform you that I have verified that the cable is the suitable one and on this there are no problems.
    Before installing Rasplex. I had used my Raspberry Pi B + with sd NOOBS and an HDMI cable ... now I can not set everything correctly.
    Can you help?
    Thank You

If you want to use RasPlex with composite video you need to edit the "config.txt" file on the SD card, since it by default activates the HDMI output, regardless of what physical connection you use. That is done by the directive "hdmi_force_hotplug=1", which (unfortunately) exists in two places of the default "config.txt" file. The first instance is commented out with a "#" prefix, but the second one is active, near the bottom of the file. You need to change its value to 0 or comment out that line as well.

If you wish you can use another directive with reverse meaning, causing HDMI to be ignored even if connected, thus forcing the composite RCA output to be used: "hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1"

Other directives of importance when using composite video are "sdtv_mode" and "sdtv_aspect".

sdtv_mode can have the values 0, 1, 2, or 3
    These activate normal NTSC, Japanese NTSC, normal PAL, or Brazilian PAL, respectively.

sdtv_aspect can have the values 1, 2, or 3 for aspect ratios 4:3, 14:9, 16:9 respectively.

For example, to enforce composite video with normal PAL on an old 4:3 CRT screen, you should change the second "hdmi_force_hotplug=1" instance in the file to "hdmi_force_hotplug=0" and then insert the following text block at or near the bottom of the file:
    sdtv_mode=2
    sdtv_aspect=1
    Btw:
    You probably know it already, but when using composite mode you are severely limited in resolution choices.
    The maximum for NTSC is 60Hz 480i (up to 853x480) while the maximum for PAL is 50Hz 576i (up to 1024x576).
    But when using an old CRT screen you will most likely have to limit the effictive resolution due to overscan.

For example:
    4:3 NTSC has a max res of 640x480, but you can only expect appx 580x448 to be visible on an old CRT TV.
    Plex can adapt to this and rescale all video as needed, but obviously the picture quality will suffer...

Best regards: dlanor
  • pinezpinez Posts: 22Members ✭✭
    Perfect solution, I did as you said and everything works perfectly.

Thank you very much
  • makaroffmakaroff Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Thank you! Has helped! Very intelligible ;)

server: Ububtu Server 16.04.2 LTS + PMS
    clients: RPi + RasPlex, iPhone 7 + app, LG TV via DLNA.