If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Multi-channel audio in Opera TV platforms (Sony, Vizio, etc)

mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,355Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Lot of you noticed me posting in various threads regarding surround sound (multichannel) audio support for your Sony TV, Sony Blu-ray, and Vizio televisions. Let me share with you what I've learned.

First, I want to be sure everyone understands that your TV is a combination of software and hardware from multiple vendors. Regardless of logos, DLNA compatibility, and/or support documentation, audio and video format support varies wildly within a single television.

Okay, so where's my multi-channel?

• Dolby Digital (AC3) is a solid choice for most setups. Although there are caveats.
  • DTS (DCA) support is unknown. None of our test devices (listed below) outputted DTS audio to the receiver.

Wait, you mentioned Dolby Digital (AC3) caveats?

• Our Sony BDP-S3100, for example, does not output ANY sound over HDMI when presented with an AC3 or DTS stream.
  • Vizio E and M series televisions < 50" will decode AC3 on the TV speakers. I've been unable to get sound out over ARC.

What are we doing about DTS support?

• We may remove the DTS Receiver Capability instead of presenting it optimistically.
  • Yes, we've filed bugs with at least one TV manufacturer. We're hopeful the situation improves.

What happens when a devices doesn't support Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS (DCA)?

• Most commonly you'll see video but here no audio.
  • Sometimes playback shows "There was a problem playing this item." due to an error sent from the device. We'll make this error more informative and actionable.
  • Sometimes we remove the Receiver Capability which doesn't work. We do this on Vizio.

Great, but I've still got no sound.

• Is the TV and receiver communicating via ARC? Is a compatible HDMI cable plugged into the correct ports on each device? Is each device configured to expect ARC?
  • Uncheck both Receiver Capabilities and play the video. Hear it? If so try reselecting them one at a time.
  • In playback, confirm that the correct audio track is selected.

Is this Plex's fault?

• No.
  • The TV app and Plex Media Server are doing the right thing. I tested each device in Plex and using a standalone test case. Same results.
  • You can help by letting us know if your device does actually output DTS audio. Make sure you've deselected Dolby Digital (AC3) and play a video with a DTS 5.1+ audio track. Did you hear anything?
  • Our FAQ will be continuously updated as more information is available.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

Tagged:
This discussion has been closed.