Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Samsung smart TV plex app buffering

ChrisPlexxChrisPlexx Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Update: People may have found a fix by downloading version 0.9.11.16 from here:

https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive - This didn't work for me but it's fixed it for a lot of people.

Hello I'm trying to watch movies through the official plex app on my samsung TV and it's buffering a lot on all my movies, like once a minute or so. However when I watch the exact same movie through my xbox one media player app (so though DLNA, not the official app - i'm not a plex pass subscriber), they work fine with zero problems.

What can I do to make it work on my samsung TV without buffering?

Both xbox one & Samsung TV are wirelessly

Comments

• TuffnutzTuffnutz Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass

I have used the samsung smart tv app for about 4 months now with no problems and over the last week i have been having the same problem you mention i dont have the issue on PS4, Xbox360, Android media player

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,281Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If this happens during Direct Streaming or Transcoding, try to lower the Local quality setting a bit.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• ChrisPlexxChrisPlexx Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Orca wrote on February 6 2015, 12:20 PM: »

If this happens during Direct Streaming or Transcoding, try to lower the Local quality setting a bit.

Hmm, I was playing through Direct Playing, I'm currently watching it through Direct Streaming without changing any settings, and it seems to be fine, though I have only watched 6 minutes with no hiccups. As I type this, I changed back to Direct Playing to test it, and it now seems to be fine even though the same movie buffered twice within 3 minutes last night so I switched over to XB1, but right now I managed to reach 6 minutes without any buffering... So I'm not sure if that's it fixed itself or if I just got lucky and the same problem will creep up soon. I don't really have time to wtch a full movie right now, but a 6 minute sample on both seems long enough considering how bad it was yesterday.

Currently it works fine but I don't think that will be the case for long, though I know there isn't much you can do to help now, below I have listed everything you should need, is there anything that you recommend changing?

4122288930.png

BYKwvz7.png

3yewov7.png

QO3WnZc.png

DLNA Client Preferences

IP=192.168.1.75,DirectPlay=true,DirectS2tream=false,LocalResolution=1920x1080,RemoteResolution=1920x1080,OnlineResolution=1280x720,LocalVideoQuality=85,RemoteVideoQuality=85,OnlineVideoQuality=85,SubtitleSize=100,AudioBoost=100,MusicBitrate=64

If the problem creeps up again I will try and experiment with any changes you recommend and see if that fixes it, I am also the only person who uses internet in the house and don't download or upload anything at the same time as watching movies. Nothing really changes from what I'm doing now.

This is really weird, it buffered last night until I switched to XB1 and now it's fine when you try to help.. I hope I haven't wasted your time, i feel like an idiot now :(

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,281Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You didn't waste my time :)
    Things like this can have several causes, and it's sometime hard to to the finger on the right spot.

Your router/network may have been clogged, the server be under load from another process, too much IO going on on the server or even the type of media you are playing (high bitrate / heavy audio tracks)

When you switch to Direct Streaming, the protocol used will switch to HLS, which is better in adapting to variations in streaming quality and is using a lower bitrate. (you can set it with the local quality)

The downside is that it uses transcoding on the server, and not everyone has a PMS powerful to pull that off.(think NAS)

BTW this app does not use DLNA, so that has no influence at all.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• ChrisPlexxChrisPlexx Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    edited February 2015

I just tried to play the exact same movie as above that I had no problems with earlier, and 1:26 minutes into it I have started buffering.. 3 times in under 1 minute 30. This is on Direct streaming.

I then changed it to Transcoding, 2 buffers within 30 seconds.

Then finally, I changed it to direct playing again, it started buffering at 1:28 minutes in.

4123221450.png

Right now, I'm going to restart my PC(the server plex is hosted on) and will report back and see if I still have the same problem.

Edit: After restarting my PC, I have tried the same movie again on Direct streaming, at 44 seconds i start to buffer again.

Now I have switched over to my xbox one to further test this, again via the media player app (DLNA), I don't want to watch the entire movie again but 4 minutes in and I have ran into zero buffering problems, but if my experience is anything like last night, it should work fine through the entire film. The problem is watching movies via the plex app on TV.

My PC can also handle transcoding easily, it's an i5 quadcore and I'm only using 25% CPU while watching it via the xbox one.

You said the plex app does not use DLNA.. If I change my source to Plex rather than going through the app will that use DLNA? It has a different layout and such so I assume so.. Anyways if so, I have just tried it out via TV DLNA to see if the method the plex app uses is causing the problem but even that didn't seem to solve much as it started buffering at 10 seconds and then again at 1:13 minutes

I hope I have given more information so we can get to the bottom of this. My router also stays on over night, so nothing should have changed from last night when it didn't work, until this morning when it did.

• jasonjm2015jasonjm2015 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass

something is up with samsung. 

I noticed they sent a firmware update to my TV a few days ago

now all my movies on plex buffer and don't work - do not know if its related

I have a very fast media server, and get 100 mb/sec (1000mbit) rates from my media server to all devices i can bandwidth test on.

previously I had not a glitch in 6 months of watching.

update, if I switch the plex player on samsung to transcode it works flawlessly, but my nas dual core usage is around 60% on both CPU.

• pickiepickie Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

im also experiencing buffering when watching a film via plex app for Samsung using direct play, thought it was only in the last half I experienced the buffering

and you had no problems previously? I really think samsung has messed something up

• PhAzE VariancePhAzE Variance Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I also started getting this since the recent update.
    TV: un69hu8550
    Firmware: 2210

Had no issues prior. I only get it for a second and it only happens a few times in a movie and maybe once in a TV show timespan.

yip I also have a hu8550

friggn samsung

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 354Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have you tried a factory reset after installing the TV firmware update?

no i have no tried a factory reset, nervous i would not be able to get my picture and stuff correct again, made so many changes in tv image settings

can anyone confirm a factory TV reset fixes buffering issue?

• dan00tzdan00tz Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Hi , I don't know on which topic I have to wrte this but I hope somebody will be able to help me .

I am a new user of pms. 

I've installed the software on my laptop and on my lg smart tv , I placed some movies into library and then I tried to play the movies from my tv and at every single movie is buffering from the start for 10 seconds and after is saying There was a problem playing this item !

PLease HELP ME :)

• MacGriogairMacGriogair Posts: 891Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    dan00tz wrote on February 13 2015, 1:31 AM: »

Hi , I don't know on which topic I have to wrte this but I hope somebody will be able to help me .

I am a new user of pms. 

I've installed the software on my laptop and on my lg smart tv , I placed some movies into library and then I tried to play the movies from my tv and at every single movie is buffering from the start for 10 seconds and after is saying There was a problem playing this item !

PLease HELP ME :)

Best bet is to start your own thread. I'd advise you to read the clearly marked sticky at the top of the forum and this support article first.

It's almost certainly an issue to do with network speed and/or insufficient CPU power for transcoding.

My configuration
    Media Server: Silverstone DS380 (Noiseblocker B12-2 fans), Corsair SF450 PSU, ASRock Rack E3C236DI, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 with Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Cooler, IBM ServeRAID M1015 (IT mode), Samsung 850 Pro SSD (OS), WD Red 8TB (Data), FreeBSD 11 (and a Pi 3 with a couple of USB drives)
    Media Clients: Laptops, Android tablets & phones, Samsung UE40F6740, X-Box One, Chromecast 2

• ronvermeulenronvermeulen Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Same problem here but it started  before the update. I was hoping the update would solve the problem Buffering every 2 or 3 minutes, before it was flawless. I can watch Netflix UHD content without any buffering, trying transcode now. Thinking of switching back to Apple TV but I  fell in love with  Plex. Can it be solved?

• tunagetunage Posts: 9Members ✭✭

Yeah - same problem here - before the update I was able to Direct Play my Windows Media Center .wtv files with NO buffering and no CPU hit on my PMS.  Now - the PMS will not Direct Play the files and my CPU is at 100%.  I have to lower my local quality to 4 to get the files to play without buffering.  I really wish I could go back to the previous version which ran great for 6 months!

• sextaafondosextaafondo Posts: 27Members ✭✭
    edited April 2015

My Samsung TV also buffers on certain movies, and digging into the issue as far as I could I now firmly believe it's not a TV problem; it's an issue with PMS not administrating correctly the available resources (server, network).

As you all know the buffering problem does not happen right away when playing an HD movie via WiFi, but it happens after a long while (may be 40 minutes or more) of watching. The normal ethernet speed from the server to the router while the movie is playing correctly goes from may be 10Mbps to 60Mbps, with an average of about 25Mbps. Right before the TV would start buffering the network speed would go down to max 5Mbps; no surprise the TV would show buffering when this happens.

I noticed something weird, and this is that PMS sometimes would not slow down if all running programs windows in the server are kept minimized for a clean desktop.

If and when PMS starts to buffer, quiting the movie and going back to the main movies index, then selecting the movie again and continue playing from where you just left would reset the buffering, and play correctly again for a similar amount of time. 

This Issue is just plain outright stemming from PMS, and not from the TV, server or router.

My system consists of:

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Asus Z87M-Plus + Intel I7 4770K + 16GB RAM

TP-Link router WR841ND, 300Mbps capable

Samsung UN46F7500 3D Smart TV

Pablo.-

• ronvermeulenronvermeulen Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Come on Plex give us a solution, or a comment we can live with  <_<

• sahanikosahaniko Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been using Plex for years without any problem. The buffering problem started only lately.

My Samsung TV buffers if using Direct Stream or Transcode (transcoding to embed subtitles to video). The video can play for 30min without a problem but then it starts to buffer and it can continue to buffer every few minutes.

There is no problem with the same movie if using Direct Play.

The PMS has no problem of the work load. The transcode speed is more than 2x.

I did check the network and there are no dropped frames at all. I also took wireshark capture of the traffic when it started to buffer. It shows that the PMS is disconnecting the TCP session to Samsung (TCP FIN) and after 3sec Samsung is starting a new TCP connection again to get new data (TCP SYN). During the 3sec the TV starts to buffer.

So it is not a network issue.

I attached the capture file showing the instant when the buffering starts.

And also a PMS log during the buffering.

Orca, any advice how the debug the problem?

My equipment:

Server HP Z400

Ubuntu 14.04

PMS 0.9.11.16

Network Cisco WS-C2940-8TT-S wired 100Mbps connection to TV and PMS

Samsung UE55ES8000 (H-series with EVO)

PLEX for Samsung 1.015