Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sound Issue PS4.

mnihan87mnihan87 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass

Hey guys, 

Not too sure on how to describe this one. Audio does sound good for the most part. I guess I noticed it watching John Wick. When it started raining, it seemed to be very grainy and for lack of a better word, low quality. The "highs" sounded very tinny. Thought it might just be with that movie, but any thing like that gave me that distortion on the highs. 

Any ideas on what could cause this or how I could fix this? Tried my films on the Roku box and couldn't replicate. Only happening on PS4.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• flipmode009flipmode009 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Its probably because  the Roku can direct play the audio, and the PS4 has to transcode it to AAC audio, which murders the quality and leaves very very noticeable sound artifacts on my system (as I have an audiophile grade HT). So bad so Plex on my PS4 is unwatchable due to poor audio. Until they can work out direct streaming of the audio, this will never change. Just use another Roku, and sadly the Xbox One can play it good (but better video quality than Roku).

Answers

• mnihan87mnihan87 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass

Bump. Any ideas? 

• DaradrisDaradris Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Did you try on a other movie with rain ?
  • mnihan87mnihan87 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass

Ended up trying it on the Roku as well and didn't have those issues. 

I'm gonna try swapping HDMI cables. Who knows! 

• flipmode009flipmode009 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

Its probably because  the Roku can direct play the audio, and the PS4 has to transcode it to AAC audio, which murders the quality and leaves very very noticeable sound artifacts on my system (as I have an audiophile grade HT). So bad so Plex on my PS4 is unwatchable due to poor audio. Until they can work out direct streaming of the audio, this will never change. Just use another Roku, and sadly the Xbox One can play it good (but better video quality than Roku).

• DeMordeyDeMordey Posts: 6Members Plex Pass

Have the same problem on PS3. I tried looking into the settings, changing bitrates etc but nothing helped. I wouldn't say the audio is crap altogether, but there really seems to be something odd with the heights. Exactly like you mentioned the rain or when there's water noise in the background, that's when you really have the feeling like you are listening to a very poor audio. 

• tlaoztlaoz Posts: 42Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does anyone knows why the PS4 version cannot play AC3 or DTS audio directly, I'm sure the PS4 outputs both DTS and AC3. It's the only thing holding me back to take my computer out of my room.

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,480Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

PS4 version can play AC3 directly. DTS isn't supported by the Sony software stack running Plex. DTS is supported by _other_ software stacks on the PS4 but not the one running Plex. I know, what gives Sony.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• ken@knnth.coken@knnth.co Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been searching for weeks for a thread or evidence of others experiencing this issue, glad I'm not alone! I recently tweaked my audio settings in Plex and PS4 and was very confused when the highs were experiencing such resolution loss.. tried tweaking everything i could get my hands on, still no difference. I even tried converting an AC3 track to AAC but I still noticed the quality loss. Not sure if it really was there or if I'm just heading things.. this has driven me absolutely crazy. Time to try a Roku!

• ImageryinventionsImageryinventions Posts: 1Members

I have this issue on certain movies.. is there a workaround/fix for this yet?