Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 95 Plex Pass
edited March 2015 in Linux

There is a Synology release which works on rPI2 without a chroot.  However it's seems to becapable of playing media that the drobo/chroot version was unable to.  If you want to try it:

See the guides here: https://forums.plex.tv/topic/145717-i-have-pms-running-on-raspberry-pi-2/?p=887965

and here: http://www.htpcguides.com/install-plex-media-server-on-raspberry-pi-2/

There's also a conversion guide for moving from the chroot version to the native version here:

https://forums.plex.tv/topic/145717-i-have-pms-running-on-raspberry-pi-2/page-17#entry886641

UPDATED Image using the ARMv7 install: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dred4bd078wwe9n/MiniBianPlexArmv7.zip

And it was surprisingly easy!

I followed the bitbucket guide for installing the drobo PMS into a debootstrap chroot on raspbian.

As described here: 

https://bitbucket.org/inkubux/cubox-i/wiki/Plex%20Wheezy

As with the Mycloud install, I had to change LC_ALL=C in the chroot plexmediaserver script and install libexpat1 (apt-get install libexpat1) in the chroot.

I'm using a WD MyBook to store my media. So once I had PMS running I created media folders in the chroot and then mounted the mybook folders in the main host. So my main host /etc/fstab looks like this:

# Chroot bind mounts
/home            /chroots/wheezy-armel/home            none bind 0 0
/mnt             /chroots/wheezy-armel/mnt             none bind 0 0
/tmp             /chroots/wheezy-armel/tmp             none bind 0 0
/proc            /chroots/wheezy-armel/proc            proc defaults 0 0
/dev             /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev             none bind 0 0
/dev/pts         /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev/pts          none bind 0 0
/mnt/USB_HD/Video/Films /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/films       none bind 0 0
/mnt/USB_HD/Video/3D_Film       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/3dfilms     none bin d 0 0
/mnt/USB_HD/Video/TVShows       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/tv  none bind 0 0

Then I just add the chroot version (e.g. /media/tv) from the Plex GUI.

Last thing to do was to add samba so I can add/remove files from a windows host.

Comments

• karma007karma007 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Does it work well ?

thanks

I'm not a linux expert, but if you already have Rasbian on your RPI2, why do we need to do all the "chroot" stuff ?

the drobo build should work as is ?

thanks

• amok404amok404 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    karma007 wrote on February 8 2015, 12:00 AM: »

Does it work well ?

thanks

YES YES YES, its works very well, since two days!!

Syn213j --> (SMB mount) --> RPi v2 --> aTV3

thank you, does the transdocing work on devices like iphone, ipad ... (3G test) ?

regards

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 95 Plex Pass

Karma007,

I'm not sure why you need to run it in a chroot but I tried without it and couldn't get it to work.  It's not a hardship to run it in a chroot, it doesn't take more resources, just space.

I left it to import the library last night and it's working very well this morning.  Scrolling through the media is smooth and responsive.  Fast forwarding to midway through a film is quick.  I don't have any media that needs transcoding so I can't test that, but I can watch everything on my mobile. 

I'm running it off a 8Gb MicroSD card, I might do it again with a 16Gb card as its already 83%, half of which is the meta-data from the library.

I think my setup is slightly different to amok's.  I'm running it headless with just the network and USB drive cables in the rPi.  I use the plex app on my phone/PC to watch or cast the media to a Chromecast.

• Jammy BJammy B Jammy by name.... Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,216 Plex Pass
    And this is casting/transcoding to chromecasts???
  • amok404amok404 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 9 Plex Pass
    edited February 2015
    karma007 wrote on February 8 2015, 9:51 AM: »

thank you, does the transdocing work on devices like iphone, ipad ... (3G test) ?

regards

sorry for my english..

i have install the mkvtoolnix and ffmpeg package. the pms transcode my mkv files.

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format-Profil : High@L4.1
    Format-Einstellungen für CABAC : Ja
    Format-Einstellungen für ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec-ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Dauer : 1h 32min
    Bitrate : 4 284 Kbps
    Breite : 1 280 Pixel
    Höhe : 688 Pixel
    Bildseitenverhältnis : 1,85:1
    Modus der Bildwiederholungsrate : konstant
    Bildwiederholungsrate : 23,976 FPS

other mkv will be testet soon..

• ahasnainiahasnaini Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Thanks, was able to get it up and running, transcoding after installing the extra packages worked for mkv but didn't works for some files.

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,736 Plex Pass
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 7 2015, 4:51 PM: »

And it was surprisingly easy!

I followed the bitbucket guide for installing the drobo PMS into a debootstrap chroot on raspbian.
    As described here: 
    https://bitbucket.org/inkubux/cubox-i/wiki/Plex%20Wheezy

As with the Mycloud install, I had to change LC_ALL=C in the chroot plexmediaserver script and install libexpat1 (apt-get install libexpat1) in the chroot.

I'm using a WD MyBook to store my media. So once I had PMS running I created media folders in the chroot and then mounted the mybook folders in the main host. So my main host /etc/fstab looks like this:

# Chroot bind mounts
    /home            /chroots/wheezy-armel/home            none bind 0 0
    /mnt             /chroots/wheezy-armel/mnt             none bind 0 0
    /tmp             /chroots/wheezy-armel/tmp             none bind 0 0
    /proc            /chroots/wheezy-armel/proc            proc defaults 0 0
    /dev             /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev             none bind 0 0
    /dev/pts         /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev/pts          none bind 0 0
    /mnt/USB_HD/Video/Films /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/films       none bind 0 0
    /mnt/USB_HD/Video/3D_Film       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/3dfilms     none bin d 0 0
    /mnt/USB_HD/Video/TVShows       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/tv  none bind 0 0
    Then I just add the chroot version (e.g. /media/tv) from the Plex GUI.

Last thing to do was to add samba so I can add/remove files from a windows host.

Got this working great, however, have you tried to update PMS to a later version, if so, how?

Regards
  • ahasnainiahasnaini Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
    NedtheNerd wrote on February 9 2015, 1:24 AM: »

Got this working great, however, have you tried to update PMS to a later version, if so, how?

Regards

Just replace the wget line with the newer version. I changed it to point to the current version but got a certificate error. So instead I downloaded it and instead of wget I copied the file from nas to the folder and continued.

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 95 Plex Pass
    NedtheNerd wrote on February 9 2015, 1:24 AM: »

Regards

Yeah I just downloaded the latest Drobo version from plex.tv/downloads.  I did the first bunch of steps from within xstart on the raspbian, it makes it easy to just copy/paste from the bitbucket instructions.

With wget you can ignore the certificate issue using the --no-check-certificate switch.

Once you've downloaded and unpacked the tgx file you can get rid of everything except the application folder.

Hello,

do we have to install a client on the rasp2 to see the menus on TV ? if yes, which one ?

thanks

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,736 Plex Pass
    karma007 wrote on February 9 2015, 3:59 PM: »

Hello,

do we have to install a client on the rasp2 to see the menus on TV ? if yes, which one ?

thanks

There is no client that runs under Raspbian, get yourself another Pi and install Rasplex.

Regards
  • PowerWieselPowerWiesel Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
    karma007 wrote on February 9 2015, 3:59 PM: »

Hello,

thanks

you could use XBMC and PlexBMC . It's not the same as a full PHT, but AFAIK it's the only way to get both on one device

• Caryfd227Caryfd227 Members Posts: 1

I've managed to follow the directions and get the server up and running on the RPi, unfortunately I am unable to access/see the files from my hard drive that is attached to my router which is causing me to be unable to add any movies to the server. Any ideas on how to get the RPi to see the hard drive that is attached to my router and access those files to use in Plex? Thanks in advance!

• SJamGSJamG Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

What a great thread!  I've managed to get Plex installed and working apart from getting my media added to Plex.  I created the folder mapping to my external drive and added what I think are the correct bindings in chroot, but it's still not showing the media :(

Question: should the chroot binding reference the local mapped folder : /media/Movies  or the actual path to the drive: /dev/sda1/Movies?

Also, I noticed once putting the folder path in the bindings that when i browsed to /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Movies it was empty....

Arrrgggg - so close and would love it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you! 

• eckartheckarth Members, Plex Pass Posts: 442 Plex Pass
    edited February 2015

I do not know what precisely you mean by "should the chroot binding reference.."

I have in /etc/fstab:

# USB disk
    UUID=42e48c44-a279-4279-b5a4-ec6558061dde /media/usb/shares ext4 defaults 0 2
    # Plex media mounts
    /media/usb/shares/music  /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/music none bind 0 0

The path for PMS is then: /media/music

music is a directory on the top level of the external drive.

• SJamGSJamG Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

Thanks Eckart, I'll check my fstab file when I get home, interesting that you add the UUID of the USB disk in there and map it that way (i'll try that)!

• GiuliomGiuliom Members Posts: 6 Plex Pass
    karma007 wrote on February 8 2015, 12:17 AM: »

I'm not a linux expert, but if you already have Rasbian on your RPI2, why do we need to do all the "chroot" stuff ?

the drobo build should work as is ?

thanks

Because the PMS he's running is just for wheezy-armel (armv5) and doesn't work on armv7 (Raspberry Pi2, Banana Pi) so you have to install Wheezy-Armel for armv5 into che Chroot on your Armv7 device and install PMS in it.

• apalmer79apalmer79 Members Posts: 13 ✭✭

This is great news.  I use a lower powered HP Microserver to send media to my Chromecast'ed TV's.  I would love to use my Pi 2 instead just for the power consumption.  I don't need to transcode so I really can't see why this isn't a workable solution.  Come on Plex, give us a native Armv7 binary already!