If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

Comments

• mrgreapermrgreaper Posts: 10Members

great find!
    is there a way to get the meta data to store on the external hard drive? (i only have an 8gb sdcard and this is using a lot of that up)

lets hope this shows the pi2 is capable of plex and the powers that be release an arm 7 version...hint hint...nudge nudge

• blindpetblindpet Posts: 288Members ✭✭
    edited February 2015

This is all great, can we get a proper arm7 package now to avoid this chroot stuff which happens to break other things.

Who/where do I need to donate to to make a real package for arm7 processors happen?

• eckartheckarth Posts: 452Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    blindpet wrote on February 10 2015, 4:32 PM: »

This is all great, can we get a proper arm7 package now to avoid this chroot stuff which happens to break other things.

Who/where do I need to donate to to make a real package for arm7 processors happen?

Can you please be a little more specific? What other things does it break? Apart from using some disk space and some extra synapses in ones brain.

• blindpetblindpet Posts: 288Members ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Eckart wrote on February 10 2015, 5:07 PM: »

Can you please be a little more specific? What other things does it break? Apart from using some disk space and some extra synapses in ones brain.

mrgreaper's (I've been helping him on my site) upstart scripts are no longer working and system won't boot. I've read elsewhere pictures and covers don't show up. It just makes so much more sense to me to have a proper arm package. They have them available for different NAS systems, why not have a generic package for arm? I am happy to throw some money at this to make it happen if it can be regularly updated.

• SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    edited February 2015

Can anyone assist with mounting?

If I use 

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /chroots/wheezy-armel/media

I can add /media to my PMS and it works.

I can't figure out what needs to go in fstab though. It's a USB flash drive.

• ClubFennellClubFennell Posts: 7Members ✭✭
    apalmer79 wrote on February 10 2015, 9:40 PM: »

If I use 

I think fstab works a bit differently than the mount command, this is one of my fstab entries:

/dev/sdc1       /media/storage0  ext4    defaults        1 4, where ext4 is the filesystem. I think the defaults and 1 4 bits stay the same for most entries.

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mrgreaper wrote on February 10 2015, 4:00 PM: »

great find!
    is there a way to get the meta data to store on the external hard drive? (i only have an 8gb sdcard and this is using a lot of that up)

lets hope this shows the pi2 is capable of plex and the powers that be release an arm 7 version...hint hint...nudge nudge

Hi,

Yes there's two ways of doing this.  

One is to have the rPi boot from another device.  See this thread;
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=12015

I haven't tried this but one problem I had with my regular setup is having the USB drive ready at boot up.  The boot up process could time out.

Another (probably better) way would be to setup the chroot on the USB Drive.  Just mount the Drive and follow the instructions but choose a path on the USB Drive for the chroot location.  Again a potential issue is the time it takes to mount the USB at boot time, it might make auto starting plex a problem, but this problem exists anyway.

apalmer79 wrote on February 10 2015, 9:40 PM: »

If I use 

Just noticed I'd left out the USB mount from the /etc/fstab extract;

/dev/sda1       /mnt/USB_HD     ntfs-3g defaults        0       0
    # Chroot bind mounts
    /home            /chroots/wheezy-armel/home            none bind 0 0
    /mnt             /chroots/wheezy-armel/mnt             none bind 0 0
    /tmp             /chroots/wheezy-armel/tmp             none bind 0 0
    /proc            /chroots/wheezy-armel/proc            proc defaults 0 0
    /dev             /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev             none bind 0 0
    /dev/pts         /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev/pts          none bind 0 0
    /mnt/USB_HD/Video/Films /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/films       none bind 0 0
    /mnt/USB_HD/Video/3D_Film       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/3dfilms     none bind 0 0
    /mnt/USB_HD/Video/TVShows       /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/tv  none bind 0 0

The file system on my USB drive is NTFS.  

• eckartheckarth Posts: 452Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    amok404 wrote on February 8 2015, 4:55 PM: »

sorry for my english..

i have install the mkvtoolnix and ffmpeg package. the pms transcode my mkv files.

other mkv will be testet soon..

Can you please be so kind to detail a little more what you installed from which source into which location?

Im Voraus vielen Dank
  • joshunwinjoshunwin Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm a noob when it comes to Linux in general, would someone who's got this working be kind enough to help me with some issues installing?

The first (noticable) issue I've come across is when I've tried to 'Correct The Locales'. I'm getting:

"WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated: locales"

It then asks if I want to install without verification, I type 'y' and then get:

E: Some packages could not be authenticated 

Getting some issues after this too but guessing it might be because this isn't done correctly.. 

Thanks for any help!

edited February 2015
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 11 2015, 3:37 PM: »

Just noticed I'd left out the USB mount from the /etc/fstab extract;

Thanks. Managed to figure it out this morning.  Working great.  Just transcoding now all my AVi's to MP4.  That said SD videos appear to transcode fine on the Pi 2.  

Plex really need to give the Pi 2 a look and give it the same support they do for NAS servers. It's working great for me.  The only sad thing is I am new to the Pi and day two with the device it's now a headless server so I didn't get to play too much with it.  Think I might need to order a second one if I can find one  ;)

josh211 wrote on February 11 2015, 8:35 PM: »

I'm a noob when it comes to Linux in general, would someone who's got this working be kind enough to help me with some issues installing?

The first (noticable) issue I've come across is when I've tried to 'Correct The Locales'. I'm getting:

It then asks if I want to install without verification, I type 'y' and then get:

Getting some issues after this too but guessing it might be because this isn't done correctly.. 

Thanks for any help!

I think I had the same error.  I can't remember now. Are you running the first lot of commands using sudo?  Pretty much all of everything outside of the chroot requires sudo.  EG up to this part...

sudo apt-get install debootstrap
    sudo debootstrap --no-check-gpg --arch=armel wheezy /chroots/wheezy-armel ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/

sudo nano /etc/fstab

+ Paste the following at the end +

# Chroot bind mounts
    /home            /chroots/wheezy-armel/home            none bind 0 0
    /mnt             /chroots/wheezy-armel/mnt             none bind 0 0
    /tmp             /chroots/wheezy-armel/tmp             none bind 0 0
    /proc            /chroots/wheezy-armel/proc            proc defaults 0 0
    /dev             /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev             none bind 0 0
    /dev/pts         /chroots/wheezy-armel/dev/pts          none bind 0 0

sudo mount -a
    sudo chroot /chroots/wheezy-armel/
    echo wheezyArmel > /etc/debian_chroot

At this point your in the chroot jail and no longer require sudo.

Being British I changed mine to en_GB...

locale-gen en_GB en_GB.UTF-8
    dpkg-reconfigure locales

Try ignoring the errors and carry on.

josh211 wrote on February 11 2015, 8:35 PM: »

Thanks for any help!

Did you try setting LOCALE to C in the Plex /usr/local/bin Startup script?

• lonespeakerlonespeaker Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for posting a link to this guide... I've just set it up on my rpi2 and created samba shares to my mac mini where my media is stored... then I used my xbox one as a plex client and I could play all the 720p mkv and 1080p mkv content without any issues at all !! i'm amazed because the cpu usage in 'top' hardly broke a sweat. 

I was concerned that the transcoding would cause stutters but looks like the 4 cores can handle it ok.

so I think I'll retire my 6 year old mac mini and use the rpi2 instead for plex server.... might buy another to run sickrage/nzbget on it :)

• alveoxalveox Posts: 65Members ✭✭

can someone dd the whole microsd image with working plex server using media from usb harddisk?

it will make me and other noob ras pi 2 very happy :D

alveox wrote on February 12 2015, 3:14 AM: »

can someone dd the whole microsd image with working plex server using media from usb harddisk?

it will make me and other noob ras pi 2 very happy :D

Yes I was thinking about doing this.  Where's the best place to host it?

• root42root42 Posts: 5Members

Great thread, I got PMS installed on my Pi2, installed ffmpeg and mkvtoolnix and can now use it as my Plex server.

However, it would *really*, *really* be great, if there would be a native package for Raspbian / armhf (and maybe even armv7 code at that), instead of the armel chroot version. It would give us better performance and would be so much easier to install.

Of course the cherry on top would be to have encoding support via gst-omx:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/releases/gst-omx/1.0.0.html

• Hi Everyone

Well this really is a dream come true. Got it all up and running last night and it exceeds expectation.

A few thoughts that lead into questions:

I noticed the Synology is ARMv7. Why are we using the Drobo Plex specifically? Did anyone else spend most of the install process repeating I AM CHROOT!

I'm considering sonarr/nzbget on the same pi. am i getting carried away in my euphoria?

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 12 2015, 3:46 AM: »

Yes I was thinking about doing this.  Where's the best place to host it?

Cloud space like Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, etc and post link here.

It'll be interesting to see who gets here first, I have it running but can't make an image as the same card has some personal configurations on it, i'll have to create a 'virgin' card with standard defaults, I was thinking of using one of the minimal Raspbian installs as a starting point, don't need all the educational stuff on there.  Should only take an hour or so. Oh, and I would suggest a 4Gb card to keep the download reasonably small, everyone can then fdisk if installing on a bigger card.

However, I would like to see an 'official' ARM7 optimised Plex supported package, much easier to update.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • stoplisstoplis Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for this, this is the first thing I've ever done with Pi and I now having it running on my Pi2.

Has anyone got Plug-ins working? I want to use the trakt.tv one, I put it in the plugin folder but it doesn't show up?

Any ideas?