If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

Comments

• joshunwinjoshunwin Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks apalmer & Jonathan. 

Not sure what you mean to be honest Jonathan, and yes Palmer I've done all those with sudo. 

I'll have a fresh crack at it tonight, everyone seems to be managing it so must be something fairly straightforward I'm doing wrong! 

• cmille34cmille34 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for keeping this thread going.  I went ahead and ordered one off eBay to take a stab at this as well. I am hoping I can attach a 2.5" USB hard drive to this and have a little Plex Media Server 2 Go in the car that a tablet can connect to wirelessly

• NedtheNerdNedtheNerd Posts: 3,736Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    root42 wrote on February 12 2015, 7:26 AM: »

Great thread, I got PMS installed on my Pi2, installed ffmpeg and mkvtoolnix and can now use it as my Plex server.

Any hints on why, where and how you installed them?

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

"Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."
  • HamgevaHamgeva Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 12 2015, 3:46 AM: »

Yes I was thinking about doing this.  Where's the best place to host it?

It will be great!

Thank you so much!
    edited February 2015

Me again. Can anyone help with a new issue? 

Getting a problem during the 'Download & Extract Plex' stage, goes smoothly up until I try move the Application/ to /opt/plex, where I get the error:

mv: inter-device move failed, unable to remove target: Is a directory

Tried everything I can think of, don't really understand the error, why is it trying to remove the target and why does it matter if its a directory? (somewhat rhetorical). 

Pretty sure the place I'm trying to move it to (/opt/plex) exists as I can change directory to it ok.

EDIT: Pretty sure I worked it out, guessing it means the Applications/ folder already exists where I've tried previously. Doh. 

SJamG wrote on February 10 2015, 9:49 AM: »

Thanks Eckart, I'll check my fstab file when I get home, interesting that you add the UUID of the USB disk in there and map it that way (i'll try that)!

Hey SJam,

Finally got Plex all up and running nicely, having this issue too. Have you managed to resolve it? I think my case is a little different to others as my drive is ExFat. Installed Fuse Exfat which worked, so I can see the drive and files in the file browser at least. Something must be wrong with my fstab entry or something.

• blindpetblindpet Posts: 288Members ✭✭

For those of you who want to mount by UUID see this guide

If you are making a virgin image that's all ready consider using Minibian as it's nice and light

• mattausmattaus Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I'm also eagerly waiting on an image to try out on my Rpi2. It hasn't moved from it's box and I got it the day after it was announced. I'd love to be able to move PMS off my main PC and onto a lower power device :)

• root42root42 Posts: 5Members
    NedtheNerd wrote on February 12 2015, 6:35 PM: »

Any hints on why, where and how you installed them?
    Regards

Sure. I did "sudo chroot /chroots/wheezy-armel" and did "apt-get install mkvtoolnix ffmpeg" in there.
    Ok by now I have tried PMS a bit, and it generally works. BUT... One thing: the transcoding hangs every couple of minutes for a minute or two and then continues. Usually a couple of seconds after the paused location in the video.

Is anyone else having these problems? I fear that the Transcoding process crashes and gets restarted. How do I debug this?

My dmest or syslog doesn't show anything abnormal. Network is fine as well. During the hang I can still use the Pi quite well using ssh etc.
  • stoplisstoplis Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I've just booted up my Xbox One and found it requires 9.10.3 or higher. Has anyone updated or installed a newer version?
  • lonespeakerlonespeaker Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    stoplis wrote on February 13 2015, 3:42 PM: »

I've just booted up my Xbox One and found it requires 9.10.3 or higher. Has anyone updated or installed a newer version?

yeah just download the latest drobo version and install that, thats what I did when installing for the first time and my xbox one and ps4 have no problems connecting.

• Dirtboy345Dirtboy345 Posts: 3Members

First time poster, let me see if I understand this correctly, the raspberry pi 2 is powerful enough to host PMS to then be streamed from another device/chromecast even with transcoding? What about multiple videos at the same time?

• mclogmclog Posts: 23Members ✭✭

Did I understand the posts that it's only working with USB attached storage if following the setup detailed here?

root42 wrote on February 13 2015, 2:21 PM: »

Ok by now I have tried PMS a bit, and it generally works. BUT... One thing: the transcoding hangs every couple of minutes for a minute or two and then continues. Usually a couple of seconds after the paused location in the video.

Is anyone else having these problems? I fear that the Transcoding process crashes and gets restarted. How do I debug this?

My dmest or syslog doesn't show anything abnormal. Network is fine as well. During the hang I can still use the Pi quite well using ssh etc.

Alright, I have found the problem: I set up my RasPi machines to use tmpfs, to reduce wear and tear for the SD cards: so I also use this for /tmp.

However, Plex writes to /tmp. A lot. All the temporary transcodings go there. And after a few minutes, my 100 MB tmpfs on /tmp will have filled up. Bye bye transcoder! It will recover, and pick up a couple of seconds later... So either I bite the sour apple and risk wearing out my SD card faster than expected, or I need to attach a USB hard drive... ;)

Well, how bad could it be, writing to the SD some hundred MB every time I watch a video...? Question is: With the AppleTV as a client -- why don't we simple stream on the fly, without temp storage? The AppleTV has its own buffering, so the PMS should not need to buffer anything. Pipe in the raw video from NAS, transcode, pipe it out to the AppleTV...?

mclog wrote on February 13 2015, 8:30 PM: »

Did I understand the posts that it's only working with USB attached storage if following the setup detailed here?

I have it working with no USB attached storage at the moment. I have mounted SMB (aka cifs) network shares. You simply have to add those in your /etc/fstab, and have some kind of server (another Pi, Windows, Linux or Mac machine, NAS, TimeCapsule...). Google "linux fstab cifs" for howtos.

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Dirtboy345 wrote on February 13 2015, 6:52 PM: »

First time poster, let me see if I understand this correctly, the raspberry pi 2 is powerful enough to host PMS to then be streamed from another device/chromecast even with transcoding? What about multiple videos at the same time?

I've tried it with 3 videos streaming to separate devices without an issue.  1 over ethernet, 2 wifi.  All three from the same USB3 HD source.  I don't think they were transcoding and I'm not sure how to check.

jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 13 2015, 11:36 PM: »

I've tried it with 3 videos streaming to separate devices without an issue.  1 over ethernet, 2 wifi.  All three from the same USB3 HD source.  I don't think they were transcoding and I'm not sure how to check.

Press 'i' when media is playing, it will show in the diagnostic info whether it is or not.

Regards

Rasplex/OpenPHT is maintained by a team of volunteers, donations are gratefully received. Why not make a donation now: rasplex.com

root42 wrote on February 13 2015, 11:10 PM: »

Alright, I have found the problem: I set up my RasPi machines to use tmpfs, to reduce wear and tear for the SD cards: so I also use this for /tmp.

However, Plex writes to /tmp. A lot. All the temporary transcodings go there. And after a few minutes, my 100 MB tmpfs on /tmp will have filled up. Bye bye transcoder! It will recover, and pick up a couple of seconds later... So either I bite the sour apple and risk wearing out my SD card faster than expected, or I need to attach a USB hard drive... ;)

Well, how bad could it be, writing to the SD some hundred MB every time I watch a video...? Question is: With the AppleTV as a client -- why don't we simple stream on the fly, without temp storage? The AppleTV has its own buffering, so the PMS should not need to buffer anything. Pipe in the raw video from NAS, transcode, pipe it out to the AppleTV...?

Change you installation to boot from USB, the SD card is only used for the initial part of the boot, it then continues booting from the USB, all read/writes from then on are to the USB drive not the SD card.

Regards

• lonnie.franklinlonnie.franklin Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Need some help getting my Pi2 running plex media server.  I followed all the instructions from https://bitbucket.org/inkubux/cubox-i/wiki/Plex%20Wheezy andeven tried what onathanmcalroy on the first post did but when I went to launch plexmediaserver &, I got the 'error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.56.0' message.  Found someone online mentioned to copy all the lib files from Plex's Application folder to /usr/lib.  So I did that, now I get this message: 'Unable to set up server: load_verify_file: No such file or directory'.  I'm not too familiar with libboost or even Linux.  Can someone please help?