If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

Comments

• stoplisstoplis Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    lonnie.franklin wrote on February 14 2015, 1:31 PM: »

Need some help getting my Pi2 running plex media server.  I followed all the instructions from https://bitbucket.org/inkubux/cubox-i/wiki/Plex%20Wheezy andeven tried what onathanmcalroy on the first post did but when I went to launch plexmediaserver &, I got the 'error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.56.0' message.  Found someone online mentioned to copy all the lib files from Plex's Application folder to /usr/lib.  So I did that, now I get this message: 'Unable to set up server: load_verify_file: No such file or directory'.  I'm not too familiar with libboost or even Linux.  Can someone please help?

I got that on my first try. I believe you haven't setup the locales correctly. When in chroot rerun dpkg-reconfigure locales and make sure you've selected the language correctly (highlight it and press space, tab to OK and press space, then highlight it on the next screen and tab to OK).

• mclogmclog Posts: 23Members ✭✭

Well that was surprisingly painless.  Set up PMS on RP2 and working with Synology NAS, the guide is pretty accurate, only deviation for me was as others have said, in the plexmediaserver script, have LC_ALL="C".

Doing a library scan at the moment, that is obviously killing the CPU, but was still able to connect to PMS from iPad and start watching tv show.  Video loaded in a few seconds and playback was fine.  In fact, I'm also posting this from the Epiphany browser on the RP2 :)

In my case, I have no transcoding needs so I can imagine this setup will work out fine for me going forward.  Will have a better look once library scan is done, e.g. I will try streaming to multiple clients and the likes.  Raspbian itself isn't entirely stable, every other time I restarted the RP2 it got stuck in boot until a second restart, but I assume that will improve.

One question as it's been referred to in earlier posts, would I be better running from the USB stick or microSD card?  Bearing in mind I do no transcoding.

• lonnie.franklinlonnie.franklin Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    stoplis wrote on February 14 2015, 1:48 PM: »

I got that on my first try. I believe you haven't setup the locales correctly. When in chroot rerun dpkg-reconfigure locales and make sure you've selected the language correctly (highlight it and press space, tab to OK and press space, then highlight it on the next screen and tab to OK).

Thanks!  I tried this but unfortunately, I'm still getting the 'Unable to set up server: load_verify_file: No such file or directory' message.

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    mclog wrote on February 14 2015, 2:25 PM: »

One question as it's been referred to in earlier posts, would I be better running from the USB stick or microSD card?  Bearing in mind I do no transcoding.

I don't think it matters, they all use the same channel on the rPI2.

• tokenizetokenize Posts: 25Members ✭✭

Has anyone tried doing this in Arch Linux instead of Raspbian?

• aristidesflaristidesfl Posts: 75Members
    tokenize wrote on February 15 2015, 3:34 PM: »

Has anyone tried doing this in Arch Linux instead of Raspbian?

+1
  • tintartintar Posts: 142Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can confirm I've had it working on a wheezy armel chroot under Archlinux on BBB; and currently have it working in a wheezy armel chroot under Debian on BBB. it doesn't really matter what the parent lunix is. well, aside from very minor things like startup script/automation.

the libboost errors (and you should NOT need to copy the plex-shipped boost objects anywhere) and  'Unable to set up server: load_verify_file: No such file or directory' are weird red herrings. they are not helpful messages and do not indicate what real errors are happening several layers down.

the 2 most important things, as has been noted in past threads, seem to be:

- making sure the locale is properly set. (as others have noted)

- the chroot HAS to be armel, not armhf. (and if you don't specify, debootstrap may automagically choose armhf for you...)

edited February 2015
    tintar wrote on February 15 2015, 6:50 PM: »

I can confirm I've had it working on a wheezy armel chroot under Archlinux on BBB; and currently have it working in a wheezy armel chroot under Debian on BBB. it doesn't really matter what the parent lunix is. well, aside from very minor things like startup script/automation.

the libboost errors (and you should NOT need to copy the plex-shipped boost objects anywhere) and  'Unable to set up server: load_verify_file: No such file or directory' are weird red herrings. they are not helpful messages and do not indicate what real errors are happening several layers down.

the 2 most important things, as has been noted in past threads, seem to be:

- making sure the locale is properly set. (as others have noted)

- the chroot HAS to be armel, not armhf. (and if you don't specify, debootstrap may automagically choose armhf for you...)

Well, the thing is, I had major problems following the guide on arch linux:

- First, there isn't any compiled package on the arm AUR for debootstrap. I had to get the deb file and install it manually;

- After installing debootrap and setting up the chroot like the guide states, I would get an error like "/bin/bash is missing" when trying to chroot into debootrap. I eventually fixed it by also mounting /bin and copying all bash dependencies;

- After this I was finally able to enter the chroot, but it didn't look like I was in a debian environment. There wasn't any command available (apt-get for example) and I couldn't do anything there.

Am I missing something?

btw I had used pieces from both the same link in the OP but also this similar one:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/777229/embedded-systems/running-plex-media-server-pms-on-the-tk1/

both pages are more or less the same, mostly differ in bits about extra tools and scripting. a lot of the bits can be skipped entirely if you're lazy (again, the extra tools and scripting) - again, the main points in both pages are:

- armel chroot + debootstrap

- locales

tokenize wrote on February 15 2015, 6:59 PM: »

Well, the thing is, I had major problems following the guide on arch linux:

- First, there isn't any compiled package on the arm AUR for debootstrap. I had to get the deb file and install it manually;

- After installing debootrap and setting up the chroot like the guide states, I would get an error like "/bin/bash is missing" when trying to chroot into debootrap. I eventually fixed it by also mounting /bin and copying all bash dependencies;

- After this I was finally able to enter the chroot, but it didn't look like I was in a debian environment. There was almost no commands available and I ran /usr/bin/uname -a and I got armv6h.

So, is something missing here?

that IS weird. I definitely did not run into any of those problems, but it's been a while since I had Arch on the BBB, so give me a minute to try to remember what I did (probably just like you got the .deb and installed it but I'm not positive)

(not very experienced with Arch, the only reason I flashed it onto BBB is to try the faking-aur method from here - http://blog.qnology.com/2013/03/tutorial-pogoplug-e02-with-arch-linux.html- which did never work. and so after much cursing, and the chroot which did work, eventually flashed the BBB back to debian.)

still thinking, but --- no actual need for a debian chroot (it's just that the couple guide pages make it convenient), just an armel chroot - i.e. if you can get a working Arch armel chroot on arch, the pms aur ought to work there. if you can do that (and I have no idea if Arch has the equivalent of debootstrap, sorry) - you could then try the link from my previous post (except for, if you are proceeding the svn route, the checkout URI may look something more like: https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/tree/master/aur/plex-media-server )

I didn't find any way to setup an arch linux chroot under another architecture. I'm giving your guide a try, thanks.

the guide on the qnology blog is not going to work, believe me I spent a lot of time trying - the only chance it has to work is in an armel chroot (which I have not tried but I suspect would work)

as for having working wheezy chroot under Arch, I'm fairly sure I did the most lazy thing: installed dpkg and used that to install the .deb for debootstrap (probably what you did too?) - the alternatives are: turn the .deb into a PKGBUILD (fairly sure I was too lazy to go that route), or to extract the data.tar.gz from the .deb and simply dump it onto the FS (hazardous, and still requires a couple tweaks afterward -- so I doubt I went that method either)

aristidesflplex wrote on February 15 2015, 7:32 PM: »

now this is the most-lazy way, which probably means that's what I used, ha.

aristidesflplex wrote on February 15 2015, 7:32 PM: »

Yeah, I used that deb to install debootstap. But my problem lies after setting up the chroot environment. I can run debootstrap successfully.

tintar wrote on February 15 2015, 7:28 PM: »

the guide on the qnology blog is not going to work, believe me I spent a lot of time trying - the only chance it has to work is in an armel chroot (which I have not tried but I suspect would work)

as for having working wheezy chroot under Arch, I'm fairly sure I did the most lazy thing: installed dpkg and used that to install the .deb for debootstrap (probably what you did too?) - the alternatives are: turn the .deb into a PKGBUILD (fairly sure I was too lazy to go that route), or to extract the data.tar.gz from the .deb and simply dump it onto the FS (hazardous, and still requires a couple tweaks afterward -- so I doubt I went that method either)

I was refering to the nvidia guide. If it fails I will try to find a way to make an arch linux armv5 chroot. If I cannot do it, I'll just wait for a plex armv7 release :P

tokenize wrote on February 15 2015, 7:52 PM: »

I was refering to the nvidia guide. If it fails I will try to find a way to make an arch linux armv5 chroot. If I cannot do it, I'll just wait for a plex armv7 release :P

haha sorry for misunderstand! :)

ah, yeah, you right ... hm. the linked guide from the OP has the standard part about mounting binds to make the chroot work. (this is one of the things I skipped, using the nvidia guide I linked - I was/am truly surprised that thing even worked, bind mounts are something I have always been conditioned to use for chroot jails.)

((the fact you were getting arm6 from uname also seems a bit weird))

not going to flash Arch back onto my BBB, but if you really can't get past this I might be willing to find/dig out my pogo from retirement (it has Arch on it) and see what damage I can do. although that may not be helpful, it would be putting armel/v5 chroot on a device that is already armel/v5.

but yeah, we all want a generic arm7 build.

PLEX

ARE

YOU

LISTENING

?

me and at least one other dude are willing to kick cash money in that direction.

(also a generic android PMS version wouldn't hurt...!)

edited February 2015
    tintar wrote on February 15 2015, 8:01 PM: »

haha sorry for misunderstand! :)

ah, yeah, you right ... hm. the linked guide from the OP has the standard part about mounting binds to make the chroot work. (this is one of the things I skipped, using the nvidia guide I linked - I was/am truly surprised that thing even worked, bind mounts are something I have always been conditioned to use for chroot jails.)

((the fact you were getting arm6 from uname also seems a bit weird))

not going to flash Arch back onto my BBB, but if you really can't get past this I might be willing to find/dig out my pogo from retirement (it has Arch on it) and see what damage I can do. although that may not be helpful, it would be putting armel/v5 chroot on a device that is already armel/v5.

but yeah, we all want a generic arm7 build.

PLEX

ARE

YOU

LISTENING

?

me and at least one other dude are willing to kick cash money in that direction.

(also a generic android PMS version wouldn't hurt...!)

No problem! :)

I just installed debootstrap again and it's like it didn't install any debian packages! All the packages available are from Arch, since the mount points stated in the guide point to the host system! This is the part that gets me, since the host system (Arch) is different from the guest (Debian). Shouldn't the debian packages be installed by debootstrap? I think I'm missing something big here!

Well, since the pogo is already armelv5 I don't think it could help, but thank you anyway friend.

I think I'll try something like this to setup the chroot environment: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_existing_Linux

I'll use the generic Arch armv5 image.

But yeah, it would be so awesome to get a plex armv7 package!

I'll also donate as much as needed for this to happen!

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What's the benefit of Arch Linux over Minibian?  Which seems to be a minimalist build for rPi?