If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

Comments

• ctprctpr Posts: 10Members ✭✭
    gaffamad wrote on February 17 2015, 9:42 PM: »

Could you explain how you resolve this LC_ALL="C" issue... I have it but can't see the solution for it.

If anyone could make a image file with an OS and PMS so noobs like me wouldn't ask stupid questions  

I read somewhere that you could simply put that line into your environment file

e.g. open /etc/environment and write LC_ALL="C" inside

however, I guess putting it somewhere like inside a setup script might be more sensible

• jonathanmcalroyjonathanmcalroy Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 2015

Hi,

It's back.  I've redone it with the new rPi2 minibian release and otherwise tried to keep it as vanilla as possible.  

You need to correct the resolv.conf in the chroot:

cp /etc/resolv.conf /chroots/wheezy-armel/etc/resolv.conf

then reboot

shutdown -r now

Now, plex running in the chroot should have network access like the rest of the raspberry pi..

The only thing different from the guide is I added these locales: 

locale-gen en_US en_US.UTF-8 en_GB en_GB.UTF-8 C

Then selected them when I ran the 

dpkg-reconfigure locales

command.  You might want to add your own locale if you're not in the UK or US.

Once setup the first thing you're going to want to do is install raspi-config 

apt-get install raspi-config

Then run it and expand the filesystem.

Then add your media which depends on the storage medium.  

By default plex is started by init.d but I disable this on my system.

find /etc -name S??plex* -exec rm {} \;

I install samba and configure it to share my media directories.  This guide is very helpful; https://ccollins.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/how-to-share-a-folder-on-linux/

That's it.

I've uploaded it to mediafire as suggested. The link is below:

https://www.mediafire.com/?5jbh4jbn3ucb82u

Can someone tell me how to get a torrent onto a legal tracker?

I've started uploading it to Google Drive, it'll take an hour or so but will be available here: <https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9cy6d-uUzi1fjE5X2MtcWhlQ19UaXlEdGRMNEhvTDZzYXgzUlRWM0l2N05SZGZRQXNfUVk&usp=sharing>

Please let me know if there's any issues again.

Plex is cool.  F*** Dropbox.

UPDATED:

Here is the updated Armv7 Image..http://www.mediafire.com/download/dred4bd078wwe9n/MiniBianPlexArmv7.zip

• gaffamadgaffamad Posts: 10Members
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 19 2015, 4:58 AM: »

Hi,

It's back.  I've redone it with the new rPi2 minibian release and otherwise tried to keep it as vanilla as possible.  No network changes etc.

The only thing different from the guide is I added these locales: 

locale-gen en_US en_US.UTF-8 en_GB en_GB.UTF-8 C
    Then selected them when I ran the 
    dpkg-reconfigure locales
     command.  You might want to add your own locale if you're not in the UK or US.

Once setup the first thing you're going to want to do is install raspi-config 
    apt-get install raspi-config
    Then run it and expand the filesystem.

Then add your media which depends on the storage medium.  

By default plex is started by init.d but I disable this on my system.
    find /etc -name S??plex* -exec rm {} \;
    I install samba and configure it to share my media directories.  This guide is very helpful; https://ccollins.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/how-to-share-a-folder-on-linux/

That's it.

I've uploaded it to mediafire as suggested. The link is below:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?5jbh4jbn3ucb82u

Can someone tell me how to get a torrent onto a legal tracker?
    I've started uploading it to Google Drive, it'll take an hour or so but will be available here: <https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9cy6d-uUzi1fjE5X2MtcWhlQ19UaXlEdGRMNEhvTDZzYXgzUlRWM0l2N05SZGZRQXNfUVk&usp=sharing>

Please let me know if there's any issues again.

Plex is cool.  F*** Dropbox.

Hi Jonathanmcalroy

I have tried your new build but I am still experiencing the ethernet failure. eth0 not found but instead it finds eth1. 
    Tried a install with the new Minibian image (from their homepage) and here the ethernet is okay. See my sceenshots below.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

I found this:

• DHCP may fail on boot and the Raspberry Pi may not have network connectivity.
      • To fix this, delete all lines in the file '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' and reboot. DHCP should then be functional and your Raspberry Pi should be assigned an IP address from the DHCP server on your local LAN.
      • The problem is that ethernet address of the Raspberry Pi I created the image on differs from the ethernet address on your Raspberry Pi. The OS notices this and assigns the ethernet interface to device 'eth1' rather than 'eth0' which is configured to use DHCP in the '/etc/network/interfaces' file.
      • It has been reported that the fix above doesn't always work. An alternate fix is to

edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and change eth0 to eth1 and reboot.

Can you try it?

jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 19 2015, 9:05 AM: »

I found this:

• DHCP may fail on boot and the Raspberry Pi may not have network connectivity.
      • To fix this, delete all lines in the file '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules' and reboot. DHCP should then be functional and your Raspberry Pi should be assigned an IP address from the DHCP server on your local LAN.
      • The problem is that ethernet address of the Raspberry Pi I created the image on differs from the ethernet address on your Raspberry Pi. The OS notices this and assigns the ethernet interface to device 'eth1' rather than 'eth0' which is configured to use DHCP in the '/etc/network/interfaces' file.
      • It has been reported that the fix above doesn't always work. An alternate fix is to

edit the /etc/network/interfaces file and change eth0 to eth1 and reboot.

Can you try it?

Thank you very much.

The fix with deleting the content in 70-persistent-net.rules and rebooting got my internet connection working. I then installed the raspi-config with success to prove the connection.

Should I be able to see the server on my network now ? if yes then something is blocking it.

The pi has ip adresse 192.168.1.246 and I was expecting to see the server at 192.168.1.246:32400/web (as I do on my windows machine) but I can't access it.

gaffamad wrote on February 19 2015, 10:24 AM: »

Thank you very much.

The fix with deleting the content in 70-persistent-net.rules and rebooting got my internet connection working. I then installed the raspi-config with success to prove the connection.

Should I be able to see the server on my network now ? if yes then something is blocking it.

The pi has ip adresse 192.168.1.246 and I was expecting to see the server at 192.168.1.246:32400/web (as I do on my windows machine) but I can't access it.

Are you sure that's the IP address?  If you reset DHCP then it might have been given a new address?  Check your routers connected device page.  You could also try connecting to http://raspberrypi:32400/web/index.html 

Is Plex running?  Run

ps -ef | grep [p]lex

You should see the processes including Plex Media Server and Plex DNLA Server

You can try recycling the process, run

/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver restart

Please let me know if there's something I need to change (other than the network rule).

Thanks.

jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 19 2015, 11:40 AM: »

Are you sure that's the IP address?  If you reset DHCP then it might have been given a new address?  Check your routers connected device page.  You could also try connecting to http://raspberrypi:32400/web/index.html 

Is Plex running?  Run

ps -ef | grep [p]lex

You should see the processes including Plex Media Server and Plex DNLA Server

You can try recycling the process, run

/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver restart

Please let me know if there's something I need to change (other than the network rule).

Thanks.

Hi again

Once a again this help me. With the first command I got no answer (guessing because nothing was running. The next command about restart it replied:

Plex Media Server is not running (no process found)...

Starting Plex Media Server: done

So now I have access to my plex server on the Pi.  Thank you again.

I will now look at adding movies via smb and later USB.

edited February 2015
    gaffamad wrote on February 19 2015, 12:22 PM: »

Hi again

Once a again this help me. With the first command I got no answer (guessing because nothing was running. The next command about restart it replied:

Plex Media Server is not running (no process found)...

Starting Plex Media Server: done

So now I have access to my plex server on the Pi.  Thank you again.

I will now look at adding movies via smb and later USB.

Hi again

For some reason (properly very simple) I can't see what I have mounted when I try to add media. I can see it from command line but not from web interface. What I am missing? If I just write /mnt/Plex it doesn't find any movies (now only Hitman is on the HHD)

Below I have added some picture to show what I mean. Sorry that the language is Danish but I forgot to change it - hopefully you understand. There are also include a picture from my windows install to show what I use to see:

IMG_0226.jpg

Sk_rmbillede_2015_02_19_kl_16_11_45.png

Sk_rmbillede_2015_02_19_kl_16_12_31.png
    gaffamad wrote on February 19 2015, 3:26 PM: »

Hi again

For some reason (properly very simple) I can't see what I have mounted when I try to add media. I can see it from command line but not from web interface. What I am missing? If I just write /mnt/Plex it doesn't find any movies (now only Hitman is on the HHD)

Below I have added some picture to show what I mean. Sorry that the language is Danish but I forgot to change it - hopefully you understand. There are also include a picture from my windows install to show what I use to see:

As far as Plex is concerned the filesystem starts at "/chroots/wheezy-armel" that's it's root.  So for it to see your Hitman folder you need to mount it into that filesystem.

So first of you need to mount the drive, which you've done to /mnt/Plex, now you can mount directories under there to the Plex Chroot.  So on the main system (not in the chroot) create a new directory;

mkdir /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman

Then mount the media to this location:

mount /mnt/Plex/Hitman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman

Now it's in a location where Plex Media Server can see it.  So in your Plex Web Gui you should be able to add "/media/Hitman".

Regards

Jon

To make this permanent you can add the entries to the /etc/fstab file which tells Linux what to automatically mount at startup.

In my fstab I have one entry for my USB drive.  Then the 3 media directories that I want Plex to be able to access.

The first USB Drive entry is special because it tells the system what type of filesystem the drive is using.  In my case it's NTFS but on yours it could be ext3 or 4, or vFat.  The way to find out is to type "blkid" this will display the micro SD drives and the USB drive.  If yours is ntfs then you should install that filesystem codec using 'apt-get install ntfs-3g'.  When ready you can add the entry to /etc/fstab like so:

/dev/sda1       /mnt/Plex     ntfs-3g defaults        0       0

Then beneath that you can directory mounts to the chroot, like so:

/mnt/Plex/Hitman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman        none bind 0 0
    /mnt/Plex/Batman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Batman        none bind 0 0
    /mnt/Plex/Superman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Superman        none bind 0 0
    You get the idea..  You might want to make the directories generic (or just mount the /mnt/Plex to the media dir).

You can have the system mount these at anytime by typing: 'mount -a'.  To unmount a device or directory (to change it) type 'umount <name of the mount point>' e.g. 'umount /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman'.
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 19 2015, 5:22 PM: »

As far as Plex is concerned the filesystem starts at "/chroots/wheezy-armel" that's it's root.  So for it to see your Hitman folder you need to mount it into that filesystem.

So first of you need to mount the drive, which you've done to /mnt/Plex, now you can mount directories under there to the Plex Chroot.  So on the main system (not in the chroot) create a new directory;

mkdir /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman

Then mount the media to this location:

Now it's in a location where Plex Media Server can see it.  So in your Plex Web Gui you should be able to add "/media/Hitman".

Regards

Jon

Hi 

Yes I started to read the thread again and it sounded like the chroot "issues" reported by other also could be my problem. So I have actually tried what you write but gave up because I always got this answer when trying to make a directory:

mkdir: can not create directory ´/chroots/wheezy/armel/media/Hitman´: No such file or directory.

• blindpetblindpet Posts: 288Members ✭✭

Try mkdir -p /chroots/wheezy/armel/media/Hitman which will create parent folders automatically

gaffamad wrote on February 19 2015, 5:46 PM: »

Hi 

Yes I started to read the thread again and it sounded like the chroot "issues" reported by other also could be my problem. So I have actually tried what you write but gave up because I always got this answer when trying to make a directory:

mkdir: can not create directory ´/chroots/wheezy/armel/media/Hitman´: No such file or directory.

You typo'd it's /chroots/wheezy-armel  DASH not SLASH!

Thanks for the help so far ... I am learning a lot things with this one being to type correctly :wacko: ....

So at the next command line I get this message:

mount: /mnt/Plex/Hitman is not a block device 

?
  • blindpetblindpet Posts: 288Members ✭✭
    jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 19 2015, 6:05 PM: »

You typo'd it's /chroots/wheezy-armel  DASH not SLASH!

Good catch, any idea why when I install upstart DHCP hangs on boot? I get a bunch of errors and then can't SSH in anymore.

gaffamad wrote on February 19 2015, 6:12 PM: »

Thanks for the help so far ... I am learning a lot things with this one being to type correctly :wacko: ....

So at the next command line I get this message:

mount: /mnt/Plex/Hitman is not a block device 

?

Try

mount --bind /mnt/Plex/Hitman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman

another alternative is to use a symbolic link.

rmdir  /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman
    ln -s /mnt/Plex/Hitman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman

Try one or the other.

Perfect.. now the first movie is running on my samsung tv with the raspberry pi as PMS....

Now I need to make it more permanent as you also write plus also to get samba working så I can copy my movies to the HDD.

Did you have a solution for the PMS start ? each time I power cycle I need to run the command "/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver restart" to get it working. Funny is that I can see right before it clears the screen and boot up is finished it writes starting PMS.

• tschneideriiitschneideriii Posts: 1Members

I've been watching the thread / googling.  And I've come to the conclusion that PI2 can't transcode with PMS (After everything i've been reading,  Haven't tried it).  Those that have plex up and running on PI2 can you guys confirm?  I ripped all my DVD's as mpeg awhile ago and ruko3 can't play them.  I was hoping to have my PI2 transcode it instead of converting my library to mkv or mp4.

• tintartintar Posts: 154Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

you guys know you can simply mount block node files in multiple mountpoints at the same time, right?

on the host (non-chroot) fstab just add something similar

/dev/sda1 /chroots/wheezy-armel/media ... ... ...

or yeah, soft-symlinking, that is also not a bad idea.

Hi Jon

jonathanmcalroy wrote on February 19 2015, 6:27 PM: »

Try

mount --bind /mnt/Plex/Hitman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman

another alternative is to use a symbolic link.

rmdir  /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman
    ln -s /mnt/Plex/Hitman /chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Hitman

Try one or the other.

Hi Jon

Did you include mkvtoolnix and ffmpeg package in the Minibian image?

Sofar I can play everything I throw at it when I use my Samsung TV as client, which is my main use of plex. But when trying HD movies with my iPad or iPhone as plex client they can't play it without constantly stopping and buffering. Could be cool to have the same possibilities on my i-devices.