If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I have PMS running on Raspberry PI 2!

1798081828385»

Comments

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 524Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Giovanotto Bolsini said:
    Hey, not sure if this happened only to me or what, I am not an expert and it took some time to figure this out. I'm running PMS on three Raspberry Pi 3 devices, when I applied the latest upgrade they all failed to restart the service afterwards.

Some digging brought up that the script was trying to create an empty directory somewhere. More digging and I found that in the /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf file there was this line:

Environment="PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="

I commented the line and I was able to restart the servers. Note that this happened to all three servers, so I think it might be a common occurrence rather than a glitch. Just FYI.

Thx for your feedback. This should only happen if there is no /etc/default/plexmediaserver when the migration script is called. I hope this is an extremely rare case so I do not have to publish a third package revision :)

PMS on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : Debian repository for armhf and arm64
    Recommended transcoder settings: 1.5 Mbps 480p ultrafast background preset
    My PMS hardware: Banana Pi, RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

• mikkelgjmikkelgj Posts: 2Members

Im not sure about "extremely rare case", i experienced it too after the most recent update

@mikkelgj said:
    Im not sure about "extremely rare case", i experienced it too after the most recent update

Oh. I see :) Yeah, I found the problem :D Thx

PMS on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : Debian repository for armhf and arm64

• WolfganPWolfganP Posts: 30Members ✭✭
    edited September 22

FOA, thanks again for this prompt release.
    I run the update today (so I guess I used the v2 update scripts) and my setup didn't restart after running the update like others, but it did after a reboot.

My only concern is that the group for uid plex was changed to plex, which it may impact my day to day media management (ie media file transfers from users other than plex and the like).

Is the plex group needed or may I change it back to my plain users group for better coexistence? Will next updates redo the group move or was it just needed in this migration to v1.9.1?
    Thx again!

Just for reference, /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev shows:

# default script for Plex Media Server

# the number of plugins that can run at the same time
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6

# ulimit -s $PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE=3000

# where the mediaserver should store the transcodes
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_TMPDIR=/tmp

# uncomment to set it to something else
    # PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="${HOME}/Library/Application\ Support"

# the user that PMS should run as, defaults to 'plex'
    # note that if you change this you might need to move
    # the Application Support directory to not lose your
    # media library
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=plex

But no /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf file was created.
    $ sudo systemctl -l status plexmediaserver.service after install shows:

plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor
       Active: active (exited) since Thu 2017-09-21 23:03:40 -03; 15h ago
       CGroup: /system.slice/plexmediaserver.service

Sep 21 23:03:39 DietPi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Plex Media Server...
    Sep 21 23:03:39 DietPi su[1272]: Successful su for plex by root
    Sep 21 23:03:39 DietPi su[1272]: + ??? root:plex
    Sep 21 23:03:39 DietPi su[1272]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user p
    Sep 21 23:03:39 DietPi su[1272]: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user p
    Sep 21 23:03:40 DietPi plexmediaserver[1266]: Starting Plex Media Server: done
    Sep 21 23:03:40 DietPi systemd[1]: Started LSB: Plex Media Server.

But after reboot everything started OK.

Plex Server on Raspberry Pi 2, Client on Samsung H6400 (2014 TV)

@WolfganP said:

My only concern is that the group for uid plex was changed to plex, which it may impact my day to day media management (ie media file transfers from users other than plex and the like).

It should not impact you in any way. The previous primary group was nogroup and I do not think you used that group anywhere. Moreover, on file level, only the group of the meta data in /var/lib/plexmediaserver was changed and no other process should require write access there. Furthermore, user plex can still be a member of other groups. Just check the groups with groups plex or add plex to other groups with adduser plex <group name>. In summary, the primary group of user plex should not matter to you.

But if I missed something, please elaborate :)

But no /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf file was created.
    $ sudo systemctl -l status plexmediaserver.service after install shows:

You rock the default configuration, so you do not need the override file and the migration script did not create one.

@uglymagoo Thx a lot, completely understood the changes.
    The only impact I observed after restart was the inability of Plex to delete media from the remote client (ie a watched episode), but mingling with groups and restarting the service quickly solved the issue.
    Thanks again!

Another issue I noticed is that the DLNA profiles folder was reset on update, so I had to copy my custom profiles again as they were deleted.

edited September 24

@WolfganP said:
    Another issue I noticed is that the DLNA profiles folder was reset on update, so I had to copy my custom profiles again as they were deleted.

From the profiles directory in /var/lib/plexmediaserver? Are you sure? Then Plex did this, as I never touch the Library there.

FYI: The correct directory for user Profiles is /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles on your system, according to the official Profiles guide.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,774Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited September 24

The default profiles are stored under /usr/lib/plexmediaserver and are updated with the package when needed. At no time is a profile in the user's "Library" touched.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• franceguefrancegue Posts: 17Members ✭✭

@uglymagoo : yesterday I performed a fresh installation from scratch of the plex media server on a PI2.
    I downloaded the package from your repository and I changed the property
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=pi
    to run the server as user pi, since I mounted my external hard disk as user pi.

But I noticed that even restarting the plex media server, the process is run as plex user and I am not able to add any library to the server.

What do I have to change more?

Thanks!

edited September 25

@francegue said:
    But I noticed that even restarting the plex media server, the process is run as plex user and I am not able to add any library to the server.

/etc/default/plexmediaserver is not used anymore. Please take a look at this guide that explains the new settings for systemd. Alternatively, just call sudo /user/lib/plexmediaserver/MigratePlexServerConfig.sh that migrates the old settings to the new format and restart Plex (assuming you have the correct /etc/default/plexmediaserversettings in place).

@ChuckPA said:
    The default profiles are stored under /usr/lib/plexmediaserver and are updated with the package when needed. At no time is a profile in the user's "Library" touched.

@uglymagoo said:

@WolfganP said:

From the profiles directory in /var/lib/plexmediaserver? Are you sure? Then Plex did this, as I never touch the Library there.

FYI: The correct directory for user Profiles is /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles on your system, according to the official Profiles guide.

After the update I noticed the profiles ended up in /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles and all profiles in there were "touched" (all of them exporting a date of Sept 19th, so that's why I assumed it was part of the migration process.

@francegue said:
    @uglymagoo : yesterday I performed a fresh installation from scratch of the plex media server on a PI2.
    I downloaded the package from your repository and I changed the property
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=pi
    to run the server as user pi, since I mounted my external hard disk as user pi.

What do I have to change more?

Thanks!

I also had issues with the userid under which plexmediaserver was running after the update. While checking the service status I noticed the control file used was /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service and there's where the PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER can be configured.

edited September 25

@WolfganP said:

After the update I noticed the profiles ended up in /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles and all profiles in there were "touched" (all of them exporting a date of Sept 19th, so that's why I assumed it was part of the migration process.

You are not supposed to write "your" configuration files / profiles etc there. This directory is managed by the package and the next update will remove your profiles again. Just use the user directory /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles.

I also had issues with the userid under which plexmediaserver was running after the update. While checking the service status I noticed the control file used was /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service and there's where the PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER can be configured.

That's also the wrong file and changes will be overwritten with the next update and the User cannot be configured there. The correct file is /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf.

Perfect, I'll change the locations then. Thanks @uglymagoo !

• franceguefrancegue Posts: 17Members ✭✭

@uglymagoo said:

@francegue said:

/etc/default/plexmediaserver is not used anymore. Please take a look at this guide that explains the new settings for systemd. Alternatively, just call sudo /user/lib/plexmediaserver/MigratePlexServerConfig.sh that migrates the old settings to the new format and restart Plex (assuming you have the correct /etc/default/plexmediaserversettings in place).

@uglymagoo : Thanks! I tried the script but it didn't work for me, even if I had the correct /etc/default/plexmediaserversettings I suppose, but the configuration written in the guide worked perfectly! Thanks for your help and your great work!

• PWHQPWHQ Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Will this work on my RPi1B?

@PWHQ said:
    Will this work on my RPi1B?

No. There is no armv6 build of PMS anymore.