Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

itunes content not playing via chromecast

Hi

I've recently joined plex and just bought google chromecast.  Plex has found my itunes movies on my PC and plays it fine through my iphone but when I try to cast it there is just an error code that comes up.  BBC iplayer etc. cast fine via my iphone through plex.  Is there a way to fix this to allow my itunes content to be be cast from plex or is it a compatibilty problem with apple and android?

Thanks

Shouren

Best Answer

• trudgetrudge Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,182 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer
    shourendatta wrote on February 12 2015, 12:23 PM: »

Hi

I've recently joined plex and just bought google chromecast.  Plex has found my itunes movies on my PC and plays it fine through my iphone but when I try to cast it there is just an error code that comes up.  BBC iplayer etc. cast fine via my iphone through plex.  Is there a way to fix this to allow my itunes content to be be cast from plex or is it a compatibilty problem with apple and android?

Thanks

Shouren

if you mean items purchased from iTunes, then no, there is no way to fix this.  Apples DRM means they can only be played on Apple hardware/software.

Answers

Accepted Answer
    shourendatta wrote on February 12 2015, 12:23 PM: »

Hi

Thanks

Shouren

if you mean items purchased from iTunes, then no, there is no way to fix this.  Apples DRM means they can only be played on Apple hardware/software.

• shourendattashourendatta Members Posts: 6

OK thanks.  What if I had apple tv.  I know that plex would obviously play my itunes library on to my TV no problem but would I then have a problem playing my mp4 movie files through the apple tv via plex?

Thanks

Shouren

shourendatta wrote on February 12 2015, 10:14 PM: »

OK thanks.  What if I had apple tv.  I know that plex would obviously play my itunes library on to my TV no problem but would I then have a problem playing my mp4 movie files through the apple tv via plex?

Thanks

Shouren

if you mean using PlexConnect, or Airplay (from another iOS device) to play them through the ATV, then they will play fine.

• shourendattashourendatta Members Posts: 6

OK great thanks.

Shouren

• DaveJonezDaveJonez Members Posts: 1

The good news is that even if you have no Apple TV, you can now cast your iTunes movies to Chromecast. All you'll need is a third-party iTunes video converter tool to help you remove the DRM from iTunes videos. Here you can try DRmare M4V Converter to convert the iTunes movies to lossless MP4.

• OlivialingOlivialing Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

With the FairPlay DRM technology, iTunes store is not available channel in Chromecast. Therefore, if you want to play iTunes videos on HDTV via Chromecast. But if you have an easy-to-use but professional DRM removal tool, which can help you remove iTunes M4V DRM legally, and then you can cast your iTunes movies to Chromecast. You can also visit this page source to cast iTunes movies/ TV shows to HDTV via Chromecast.