Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Specify alternative cache location?

Currently the Windows 8.1 app is sitting at 14gb in local data (appdata), this is obviously not the best solution for SSDs so I am wondering if it is possible to specify a cache location?

Comments

• I will most definitely second this.  Or even go as far as to suggest along with choosing a location, we should be allowed to set a max size as well.  After running the Plex App for a week now, it started sputtering and stalled out on me.  When I opened explorer to go manually check the video file I had noticed that my SSD was completely full.  The Plex cache directory was 84+ gigs..  The shows that I watched in the week I have been running it don't even add up to 84 gigs, but it happened some how, I cleared it out and everything is smooth again, but it's filling up again fast with no way to stop it.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,563 Plex Pass

Are you talking about the server or about the modern windows 8.1 app? For the server that is expected behaviour, for the app none of my devices are over 250mb.

• This is most definitely the Windows 8.1 Desktop App, not the server program. The files for the server have been sitting around 3gigs since I installed it and it did it's initial scan of my library.  As a point of notice, I have the universal app on my wp8.1 as well and it doesn't hog my space over there.

In the Folder  C:\Users\Travis\AppData\Local\Pacakages\CAF9E577.Plex_aam28m9va5cke\AC 

there is a hidden/system folder (INetCache)  When I deleted it yesterday is was 84+ gigs.  Looking at it now, I have watched ~15 720p tv show episodes since deleting that folder and it's already up to 22.3GB  In just one day..  

Just checked on a win10 machine with the app and I don't have that folder. What sort of files does it contain? Have you set up sync?

• I do not use sync, I mainly use only direct play on all devices in my house.  I do not stream from outside the local network.     In fact the app shows my sync limit at 16gb and currently sitting at 0.   

I forgot to say that the folder is not only hidden, but also marked as a "Protected Operating System" file..   so you have to go into folder options and tick that box as well to be able to see them.

• There are multiple folders inside the InetCache folder, as well as a container.dat file. 

​Drilling down into any one of the folders reveals file[1].dat, file[2].dat, file[3].dat.......  at 2gb, 3gb, 1gb.  all random sizes for the .dat files

Hmm ok I do have those folders but they're empty on this machine. I'll check tonight on a machine that I actually use for Plex and hopefully one of the devs can chime in about those folders too.

• jjbruntonjjbrunton Posts: 35 Plex Pass

Can any devs chime in on this?

iTPVmIX.png

• mfeingolmfeingol Posts: 5,091 Plex Employee

HeroXxx:

Can you drill in a bit more around which directory contains all that data?  There's a known issue with us accumulating cached images.  No known fix at the moment.

mfeingol wrote on February 23 2015, 8:35 PM: »

HeroXxx:

Can you drill in a bit more around which directory contains all that data?  There's a known issue with us accumulating cached images.  No known fix at the moment.

FATvBP0.jpg

Hope that helps.

• Mine looks just about the same as pictured above.

It does, and it's the same known issue, thanks.

jjbrunton:

jjbrunton wrote on February 23 2015, 11:05 PM: »

Hope that helps.

It does!

One thing I'm wondering is whether those files were being played back from the local disk (because they were synced) or were they being downloaded from the server?  Can you clarify that detail, by any chance?  If you didn't sync the files and play them, then obviously the answer is from the server.

(To see which files they actually are, you should be able to copy them out of that directory and rename them to .mp4 or .avi or whatever they actually were.)

• As far as I know, everything should be played back from the server.  I do not use the sync function as both the server and client are on the same machine, I also have the client set to use the Direct Play feature.  

​I picked a couple random file[x].dat files, copied them out to the desktop, renamed them file[x].mp4  and tried to play them, but the video player says they are unrecognized types.  And mediainfo shows no audio/video tracks in the files.   I tried .avi as well with no luck.   (ALL of my video files are h264/aac MP4's)

The same Universal app running on my windows phone is set to Direct Play as well, however it does not seem to be losing the space like my desktop does.

Thanks for checking.  The key is going to be to figure out exactly what these files are and where they come from.

• I ran one of the files through HexEdit.  Most of it was gibberish as expected, however there were some references to avc1 near the beginning of the file   (ftypeisom  ..  isomavc1)     To me, it looks like the start of a video stream only it has been wrapped inside of something else. 

​If I open up one of my videos with hexedit, the filetype is stored in the header at the very beginning of the file.  

​On the .dat files there are several hundred lines, mostly zeroed out before the video header appears, but even then it's not the same, it's like it has been scrambled a bit.

​Could this possibly be a cache for the currently playing file?   Even though it is playing directly, if you pause the video you will still notice the streaming buffer line over the top of the video progress line like it is streaming it and buffering it somewhere.   

I'm fairly sure that's what it is, but I want to be 100% sure I'm being accurate when we report this to Microsoft.

I.e. no transcoding, no syncing, just Direct Play of videos resulting in huge orphaned cache files.

mfeingol wrote on March 10 2015, 12:17 AM: »

I'm fairly sure that's what it is, but I want to be 100% sure I'm being accurate when we report this to Microsoft.

I.e. no transcoding, no syncing, just Direct Play of videos resulting in huge orphaned cache files.

Do you need any more information?

• Ally MediaAlly Media Posts: 206 Plex Pass

Just last night I noticed I was down to 20 gb left on my main HDD, Disk space in windows 8.1 reports plex app at 112gb for me.  When I get home I will check out the directories and see what is in my directories.  I have the server on same machine, never transcodes, Direct play only, never sync.  I will also check on my laptop and see what it looks like on there.  Will report back findings.

The only thing I need is reinforcement / confirmation for the hypothesis that the bulk of the cached data that isn't being deleted is in fact DP video files.