If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PLEX official for LG TV

vidianvidian Posts: 9Members ✭✭

Hi everybody

Today, i have installed the official plex application for my LG TV (42LA690S).

Am I alone in trying?

I have a problem with https://plex.tv/pin

plex10.png

Comments

• Allan68Allan68 Posts: 497Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Wow... Well it's about time. I will check this out later today. But I knew it was coming, just made sense.

Thanks for the heads up.
    edited February 2015
    I have no problem with the pin, everything is working and it's absolutely awesome.
    VERY snappy fast interface. This client seems optimized very well. Excellent job, well done to the plex development team. I'm surprised there's no mention of this on the blog yet, maybe we noticed too soon? People waiting for this are going to be very happy.
  • vidianvidian Posts: 9Members ✭✭

I haven't the plex pass and i think that is the origin of my problem :(

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,202Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Interesting.... Is this to do with this Plex work for Opera ? https://forums.plex.tv/topic/132141-plex-for-smart-tvs/

Or is it developed by 3rd Party?

There was a request to SImon J Hogan here relating to the Smart TV Alliance

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

vidian wrote on February 13 2015, 8:00 PM: »

I haven't the plex pass and i think that is the origin of my problem :(

Yes that makes sense. Almost always these brand spanking new Plex clients require a Plex pass. The Xbox one and 360 as well as the PlayStation devices all require a Plex pass as well. Although the plex interface on this new LG client I prefer much more than the game Consol versions. Although the interfaces are very similar being it's the new Plex interface were seeing lately.. I like the grid of posters this new LG plex client offers. Get yourself a Plex Pass, it's worth it. I still can't believe how good this thing looks and performs on my TVs hardware lol
  • Frank ReymenantsFrank Reymenants Posts: 11Members ✭✭

I was very surprised to see this just a few minutes ago. Got it working very fast :) Im curious, does this stream over the internet even though the server and TV are in the same network? I want to avoid that if possible. 

No, it streams your content directly from your Plex server.
  • ULTRA77ULTRA77 Posts: 22Members ✭✭
    I cannot find it in the LG Store.

Anyone from Australia found it?
  • PeggawengPeggaweng Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have some issues playing movies. Unless I set the rate to 4mbps the movies won't play?

There also isn't a music section in this app?

Anyone else having issues playing movies etc????
    Peggaweng wrote on February 13 2015, 10:23 PM: »

I have some issues playing movies. Unless I set the rate to 4mbps the movies won't play?
    There also isn't a music section in this app?
    Anyone else having issues playing movies etc????

This is plex pass pre release (still in development), just like they always are when they first arrive. Music photos and everything missing should be added later. Bit rate settings is also something that's always an issue in the pre releases. Should all be sorted in time.
    edited February 2015
    ANILE8 wrote on February 13 2015, 10:04 PM: »

I cannot find it in the LG Store.Anyone from Australia found it?

Change your TVs country or region to Canada or US or wherever the app is available. Download and install. Then change the region back to where you are. Pre-release versions like this quite often are only available in specific regions for the first while. However you will most likely need a Plex pass to use the app right now and I see you don't have one.
  • ULTRA77ULTRA77 Posts: 22Members ✭✭
    plex.4.ever wrote on February 13 2015, 11:11 PM: »

Change your TVs country or region to Canada or US or wherever the app is available. Download and install. Then change the region back to where you are. Pre-release versions like this quite often are only available in North America for the first while. However you will most likely need a Plex pass to use the app right now and I see you don't have one.

Thank you for your suggestion.

However, only Pacific regions are available to sellect, must be region locked and the countries that I can choose from do not have it.

I have just discovered PlexConnect yesterday and got it running on my ATV3.

This was a life saver for me because of the issues I was having with the PLAYZ app and the general lack of useful support from the developer appears to have cause the app to stagnate in bug fixes.

I found PlexConnect very good to use and love the trailer feature, although it does seem to be low quality res when viewing the movie trailers.

Not sure if this is a setting or how to adjust for higher res trailers.

Wanting to know how would you rate the PlexConnect app vs the new official PLEX app on the LG TV you have access to?

In terms of quality and features, better, same or worse?
    edited February 2015
    ANILE8 wrote on February 13 2015, 11:43 PM: »

Wanting to know how would you rate the PlexConnect app vs the new official PLEX app on the LG TV you have access to?In terms of quality and features, better, same or worse?

Without a doubt plexconnect is far better. The new LG app is still only a plex pass preview release and is missing many features such as the ability to use music, photos etc. Generally when plex releases a new client on a platform that has never had one it's usually a preview release, asensually a beta release. Through time missing features are added as well as bugs are fixed and then it is released officially to everyone including non plex pass users. Of course this is once it is complete and working as it should.

Plexconnect is a finished product so it of course is much better and is not missing any key features. Looks great, performs great and is very stable. So a shorter answer to your question is Plexconnect at this point by far is a better choice.

For the latest information on Plexconnect, see my signature below.
    Hope this helps.
  • vbajrvbajr Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi!! Anyone knows how can i play from a local network. Because i only can play online, and if i to disconnect my session i cant see my server more. The problem of stay online is because my upload is only 3Mbps and quality of videos is limited by this. My TV and PC stay in the same network. Thank You.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,202Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@vidian  - could i suggest that you get this topic merged into this topic: https://forums.plex.tv/topic/147094-official-plex-lg-smart-tv-has-arrived/

Perhaps the forum mods can merge in a way where posts slot in at the right place in chronological order

You should be able to use the 'Report' button to send your request

At the moment we have information split between the two topics

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

sa2000 wrote on February 14 2015, 1:17 AM: »

At the moment we have information split between the two topics

True, But that other thread I started is for Plex pass members only. A lot of LG TV users do not have a plex pass and would not be able to view the forum. It's good to have some information in this section as well which everyone can view. It also may help plex snag a few new plex pass users lol at any rate I think it's good to have a thread here informing everyone.

Thanks for explanation

• androidawgandroidawg Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Have been testing and at the moment playback in the app is identical to media link. The interface is much nicer but transcoding doesn't seem to be part of the app yet.
    edited February 2015
    androidawg wrote on February 14 2015, 2:25 AM: »

transcoding doesn't seem to be part of the app yet.

I think so too, but that and other missing things will come in time. The good news is the LG TV has excellent codec support so transcoading shound not be needed as often.

Hopefully updates happen fast because this is a very nice client and I'm looking forward to seeing it complete and available for everyone to use.

• simonjhogansimonjhogan Posts: 909Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    ANILE8 wrote on February 13 2015, 11:43 PM: »

Thank you for your suggestion.

However, only Pacific regions are available to sellect, must be region locked and the countries that I can choose from do not have it.

I have just discovered PlexConnect yesterday and got it running on my ATV3.

This was a life saver for me because of the issues I was having with the PLAYZ app and the general lack of useful support from the developer appears to have cause the app to stagnate in bug fixes.

I found PlexConnect very good to use and love the trailer feature, although it does seem to be low quality res when viewing the movie trailers.

Not sure if this is a setting or how to adjust for higher res trailers.

Wanting to know how would you rate the PlexConnect app vs the new official PLEX app on the LG TV you have access to?

In terms of quality and features, better, same or worse?

Mate I have tried to provide as much support as I can, as have many others ... I open sourced the code in the hope others would help with development and offered to pay for feature additions but it just didn't happen ... 

I only started thie PLAYz project as a hobby and to fill my desire to have a PLEXish client on my 2013 Netcast TV ... I also hoped it would convince PLEX inc to build something for the LG TV ... I never dreamed it would take off the way it did 11000+ downloads ... but I don't do this full time and have a family that is more important to me than PLAYz ...

I am keen to pull down the new client (whether it is from PLEX inc or not) but it isn't available in the southern hemisphere yet ... does the new client work on Netcast TVs ...

Either way I'm just happy their is someone out there who has the time to build something and make it available ... LG have been the biggest pains in the **** to deal with so I am happy for someone else to take over from here on it ... I have had an update sitting with them for 2 months awaiting QA!!! 

Cheers,

Simon

playz.png

Copyright © Simon J. Hogan | Sith'ari Consulting, Australia | playz.sithari.com.au