If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex/Web Give Warning on Delete Server if PlexHome Active

sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,398Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
edited March 2015 in Plex Web App

Now that the Delete Server / Remove Server option is back again on the Settings / Devices page, it appears that we need some protection in cases where PlexHome is active.

We keep on getting situations where users lock themselves out with Error 401 to access their server after its removal - even localhost:32400/web fails

I will try and link the threads I have come across but i expect the issue is straightforward 

Two suggestions from me:

When an attempt is made to Remove a Plex Media Server on the Settings / Devices screen then a check should be made to establish if PlexHome is active. I presume this check can be made regardless of their being an active internet connection.

If the Plex Media Server does have Plex Home active then an error could be returned asking the user to dis-establish Plex Home before requesting the server to be deleted

Alternatively, it should take the user through the steps to de-activate PlexHome for the server and then removing the server - allowing the user to change his/her mind and cancel the request at each step till the final step

I do not know if the same issues would arise in the case of their not being a PlexHome but a pin added to the master account.

Related Recent Threads of the lockouts:

Uninstall / Re-Install

and there is my topic here where the suggested changes to Plex/web would fit nicely into:

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Comments

• ProtovistProtovist Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OMG, how is this still a problem?  This keeps happening to me, and I delete Preferences.xml to get back in, but get locked back out again...