If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

LG BD550 Thumbnail issue

terencejamesterencejames Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Hi.

I've been using Plex for a while now, streaming stuff from my laptop to my LG BD550 over DLNA. I've never had an issue with the playback as the player handles most stuff natively but I cannot get the thumbnails to work (see attached file). I've started to fiddle with DLNA profiles but I really am a novice. I'm guessing that I need to edit the generic profile slightly. I've managed to get the players friendly name etc but I think I really need to edit the dimensions of the thumbnail sizes. As you can see, they're square not rectangular. If anyone has any idea where I should start that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,970Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You probably need to add the following to the settings section of your profile:

<Setting name="AlbumArtPN" value="JPEG_TN" />

This is what my LG LHB336 needed to get thumbnails.

• terencejamesterencejames Posts: 10Members ✭✭
    J_McKee wrote on March 4 2015, 10:20 AM: »

You probably need to add the following to the settings section of your profile:

This is what my LG LHB336 needed to get thumbnails.

Thanks.

Is there any way I could add this to the generic profile? Like I said, it's only the thumbnails that are an issue. Everything else is perfect.

terencejames wrote on March 4 2015, 10:31 AM: »

Thanks.

Is there any way I could add this to the generic profile? Like I said, it's only the thumbnails that are an issue. Everything else is perfect.

You can try, but messing with the generic profile is hit or miss.  You need to save it as read only and plex will complain about it in the logs.  But I guess something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
    <Client name="Generic">
        <Settings>
        </Settings>
    </client>

might work.

J_McKee wrote on March 4 2015, 11:18 AM: »

You can try, but messing with the generic profile is hit or miss.  You need to save it as read only and plex will complain about it in the logs.  But I guess something like:

<!-- Author: Plex Inc. -->
    <Client name="Generic">
        <Settings>
        </Settings>
    </client>

might work.

Right, I've tried that and I've also tried...

<Settings>

<Setting name="IconResolution" value="512x384" />
      <Setting name="AlbumArtResolution" value="512x384" />
    </Settings>

Is it worth changing the resolution values? Everything still plays OK.

Just out of interest, can anyone see any errors in this?

<!-- Author: Plex Inc. --><Client name="LG-BDP" />

<Identification>
      <DeviceDescription type="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1">
      <FriendlyName substring="LG-BDP" />
      <ModelName substring="LG PLAYER" />
      <ModelNumber substring="1.0" />
      <ModelUrl substring="http://www.lg.com/"/>
      <ModelDescription substring="LG PLAYER" />
      <Manufacturer substring="LG Electronics" />
      <ManufacturerUrl substring="http://www.lg.com"/>
      <SerialNumber substring="1234" />
      </DeviceDescription>
    </Identification>

<Settings>
    </Settings>

Well at that point you have most of a client profile.  One problem you have is:

<Client name="LG-BDP" />  <-  the  /> closes the tag at the start of your profile should just be

<Client name="LG-BDP">

and then your profile should end with

</client>

This was the rest of my client profile for my LG LHB336 using mpeg and mpeg2video for transcoding, If you want it to just direct play everything than you can simply delete the transcode targets section, but if you're going for a complete profile it will give you a starting point.

<TranscodeTargets>
          <VideoProfile container="mpeg" codec="mpeg2video" audioCodec="ac3" >
            <Setting name="EstimateContentLength" value="true" />
            <Setting name="TranscodeSeekOffering" value="bytes" />
          </VideoProfile>
          <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
                            <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" codec="jpeg" />
                    </TranscodeTargets>

<DirectPlayProfiles>
                            <VideoProfile container="mpegts" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3,dca" />
                            <VideoProfile container="mkv" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3,dca" />
                            <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3,dca" />
          <VideoProfile container="avi" codec="h264,mpeg1video,mpeg2video,mpeg4,msmpeg4" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3,dca" />
          <VideoProfile container="mpeg" codec="mpeg1video,mpeg2video,mpeg4,h264" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp2,mp3,dca" />
          <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
          <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
          <MusicProfile container="wav" codec="pcm,dca" />
                            <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" codec="jpeg" />
                    </DirectPlayProfiles>

<CodecProfiles>
                            <VideoCodec name="h264">
                                    <Limitations>
                                            <!--<UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" />
                                            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1142" /> -->
                                            <UpperBound name="video.videoFrameRate" value="30" isRequired="false" />
                                            <UpperBound name="video.level" value="51" isRequired="false" />
                                    </Limitations>
                            </VideoCodec>
                            <VideoCodec name="mpeg4">
                                    <Limitations>
                                            <!--<UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" />
                                            <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1142" /> -->
                                            <UpperBound name="video.videoFrameRate" value="30" isRequired="false" />
                                    </Limitations>
                            </VideoCodec>
                            <VideoAudioCodec name="ac3,aac,mp3,dca">
                                    <Limitations>
                                            <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="6" isRequired="false" />
              <UpperBound name="audio.bitrate" value="1920" isRequired="false" />
                                    </Limitations>
                            </VideoAudioCodec>
                    </CodecProfiles>

<DlnaMediaProfiles>
       <DlnaVideoProfile container="mov,mp4" mimeType="video/mp4"/>
       <DlnaVideoProfile container="wmv" mimeType="video/x-ms-wmv" />
       <DlnaVideoProfile container="mpegts" mimeType="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" pn="MPEG_TS_SD_NA" />
       <DlnaVideoProfile container="mpeg" mimeType="video/mpeg" pn="MPEG_PS_NTSC"/>
       <DlnaVideoProfile container="mkv" mimeType="video/x-matroska" />
       <DlnaMusicProfile container="wav" mimeType="audio/wav"/>
       <DlnaMusicProfile container="mp3" mimeType="audio/mpeg" />
       <DlnaMusicProfile container="wma" mimeType="audio/x-ms-wma" />
      </DlnaMediaProfiles>

Something like this?

<!-- Author: Plex Inc. --><Client name="LG-BDP">

<Identification>
      </DeviceDescription>
    </Identification>

<Settings>
    </Settings>
    </client>

That looks correct, only other thing I would say is just make sure it is named LG-BDP.xml

So, I've been playing with the profile on and off and I've got this error in DLNA server log

Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:038 [4140] DEBUG - Starting Plex DLNA Server 0.9.11.7.803-87d0708...
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:038 [4140] DEBUG - Unique device name = e367ec21-3480-5fe8-65cc-d7cbc7a7a43b
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:038 [4140] DEBUG - DLNA server port: 32469
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:038 [4140] DEBUG - PMS: http://127.0.0.1:32400/
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:038 [4140] DEBUG - MyPlex: https://plex.tv/
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:406 [4140] DEBUG - Reading system DLNA client profiles
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:422 [4140] ERROR - Error parsing content from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\Generic.xml'
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:422 [4140] ERROR - Failed to parse C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\Generic.xml: Error parsing file
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:422 [4140] ERROR - Unable to read client profile file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\Generic.xml
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:495 [4140] ERROR - Error parsing content from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\LG-BDP.xml'
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:495 [4140] ERROR - Failed to parse C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\LG-BDP.xml: Error parsing file
    Mar 11, 2015 10:42:33:495 [4140] ERROR - Unable to read client profile file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\LG-BDP.xml

it then defaults back to the generic profile. Am I missing something? 

Well your custom profile should be in:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\local\Plex Media Server\ Profiles

But error parsing file means there is a typo somewhere in the xml that is causing it not to be read through by the xml parser.

I'd put it in the profiles folder here C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources. 

I'll have another look at it.  Thanks.

That location is where the system profiles (Plex distributed profiles) should be, but custom profiles will not be read in there.  You can modify the profiles that are in that directory, but custom ones won't be read.  If you post the entire profile I can take a look and see if I can spot any errors that would be causing the parsing error.

This is what I've got so far. I read elsewhere that someone had a similar issue with thumbnails and they only needed to have the friendly name for them to be visible. Also, as the machine plays everything natively I haven't bothered with anything else.  Thanks!

<!-- Author: Plex Inc. --><Client name="LG-BDP">

<Identification>
      </DeviceDescription>
    </Identification>

<Settings>
    </Settings>
    </client>

Your parsing error is that the last client tag isnt capitalized.

It should be </Client> instead of </client>

edited March 2015

Thanks. Just out of interest, could I change the resolution size? The display on my bluray has square icons not rectangle. Would that even make a difference?

Edit: It seems as though plex has accepted my custom profile but in the DLNA log I get this....

Mar 14, 2015 17:09:47:459 [8600] DEBUG - Overriding LG-BDP profile with user client profile

and then maps back to the generic profile. 

terencejames wrote on March 14 2015, 2:26 PM: »

Thanks. Just out of interest, could I change the resolution size? The display on my bluray has square icons not rectangle. Would that even make a difference?

I always left off resolution size and let the LG handle them myself.  But I haven't been using it for playback in a long while.

Edit: It seems as though plex has accepted my custom profile but in the DLNA log I get this....

Mar 14, 2015 17:09:47:459 [8600] DEBUG - Overriding LG-BDP profile with user client profile

This simply means that the profile was detected in both the system profiles folder and the user profiles folder.

and then maps back to the generic profile. 

This means that either something is changing on the LG side from the information in your device description.  When I made my profile I narrowed my description down to only the friendly name.  After that I noticed the friendly name actually changed if I as using a wired vs wireless connection.

I've had some success. I got rid of everything bar the friendly name and found this in the dlna server log....

Mar 16, 2015 09:01:45:830 [6088] DEBUG - Device LG-BDP at 192.168.0.12 will use LG-BDP profile
    Mar 16, 2015 09:01:49:820 [4836] DEBUG - GET for http://192.168.0.2:32469/proxy/027d672c6a70ab72aa7c/260x260.png
    Mar 16, 2015 09:01:49:820 [4836] DEBUG - Mapped client to profile LG-BDP using device description of type 'urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1'

However, a bit further on I found a couple instances of this....

Mar 16, 2015 09:02:03:578 [3432] DEBUG - Mapped client to generic profile: HOST: 

Playback was OK but still no thumbnails. My profile is still very basic so I'm guessing it might need the direct play profiles adding?
  • yudalapyudalap Posts: 13Members ✭✭

According to LG BD550 Manual you could try downloading the firmware from the LG website and put it onto a USB stick and plug this into the unit. - This should resolve this issue by replacing the software/firmware that has been deleted. If the unit has suddenly started doing this with no firmware update being done try a hard reset, Powering off at the wall for minimum of 30mins and then powering back on via holding the power button on the front of the unit.