If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Loading, Please Wait" endlessly repeats

serious1234serious1234 Posts: 20Members ✭✭

My setup is PMS running on a new 2015 MacBook Pro, Plex client on Roku 3. Everything is connected via wireless, using an Asus RT-AC68. Using speed test I see my MacBook Pro is getting 30Mbps up/down and the speed test app placed near my roku 3 shows the same.

For some reason I can't play 720 MKV videos. The video stops playing every 10-20 seconds and says "Loading, Please Wait." Then when I quit, it often says "Quality Too High." I'm usually running 720/3Mbs and having Transcoding set to Automatic. When I try using Direct Play it plays back with the same "Loading, Please Wait" interuptions.

Another thing that occasionally happens is that when I go to replay a video it will say "Video Unavailable," despite the fact I played it seconds earier.

I've looked over the PMS settings and I can't see anything to change. Does anyone have any tips on what to do to get movies playing on my Plex setup? My router is top of the line and my MacBook Pro is new, so I can't imagine it's a throughput or CPU issue.

Comments

• jmcgeejrjmcgeejr Posts: 3,029Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I have had similar experience with my roku 3, where my roku 2 didnt have these issues.  Running the same version of the software on both, I was forced to tell my roku 3 to not direct play or direct stream, with transcode only I am able to sustain a good stream (mind you my server is plugged in and my roku is wireless.  Even though you have some good wifi that doesn't necessarily mean that having both on wifi isn't causing an issue.  My suggestion would be disable wifi on the macbook and plug it into your router and leave roku wireless and see if you get the same results. 

• theuser86theuser86 Posts: 575Members ✭✭✭
    1. Hard wire the Mac Book and give it a try.
    2. Please provide us with more information about the file. Either post the XML file from PMS, or use a utility called Media Info. Video format, audio format, video number of reference frames. All important.
  • GlovedboxGlovedbox Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same "Loading, Please wait" issue only during "direct stream". I read in the past two weeks that this is a ROKU media player software issue, which was introduced not too long ago. Something to do with key frames are not matched compared to the roku's default key frame read rules. (Dont quote me on this). Anyways, I gave up direct stream and Direct play and settling @ 20mbps transcode, which quality is very good still from my 1080p blurays. 

Try disabling Direct Play and Direct Stream. Only check Transcode.

Set your quality to 720p 8mbps which is what you already have. With your router and that speed test of 30mbps, you should be able to watch without interruption. 

My set up includes both wired gigabit and a powerline adapter(which I get about 40mbps). No stuttering, no hiccups. Computer powerful enough to transcode(as yours is powerful enough too)

• PMS - Primary desktop i5 2500k(4.5ghz OC), 8gb ram, MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Win7 x64 on 120gb OCZ Vertex 3, 2x Samsung 2TB, 1x Seagate 3tb, 2x Seagate 4TB, 1x Segate 6tb | Secondary: OVH server E5-1225v2 on 250mbps unlimited bw
    • NAS 1 - Netgear ReadyNas Pro 4  WD RED 3TB x4 in RAIDZ (effective 8.13TB stoage)
    • NAS 2 - DIY Build: Asrock Q1900-ITX with J1900 Celeron Quad Core, 8gb ram, Fractal Node 304, PCI-E SATA 2 ports controller, Win Server 2012 R2 + Hyper-V XPEnology with DSM 5.0 Update 2, 5x Seagate 6TB
    • Amazon Cloud Drive Storage: 2TB (for now)
    • Total Local Storage: 63TB
  • serious1234serious1234 Posts: 20Members ✭✭

Thanks for the feedback.

How does one export the XML logs? I can't seem to find a simple answer to that. Or is it a file somewhere on my Mac?

I tried upping the resolution to 720/4Mbps (the highest 720 option) and set it to transcode. Played back slightly better, in that I got "Loading, Please Wait" every minute as opposed to every 15secs. But still not playing without that hitch.

I will try connecting the Macbook to my router next.

Did you copy a file locally to the macbook as i stated?

• AL512AL512 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue with my new Roku 3 player.  All my devices are connected through wired network, i.e. no WiFi.  Plex server is PC based i5-IvyBridge with 16GB RAM connected directly to a gigabit router and so does the Roku 3. 

I can use Direct Play on MKV BluRay movie with highest quality using Samsung SmartTV app without any problem, but when I use Roku it does "Loading, Please Wait" endlessly that I have to use transcoding and lower the quality to 3Mbps, 720p.  Another weird thing is that sometimes Roku says "Cannot play this type of movie" error when I tried Direct Play.  I said "sometimes" because some other times it does play but with interuptions "Loading, Please Wait".

No other network activity when using Roku, i.e. Plex Server is only serving Roku.

Perhaps we can ask Mr. Matt Seeley why this happens...

edited March 2015

So I just tried to play a 720 MKV file, using the Plex settings of "Automatic" and "720/3Mbps."

It played for about 2 mins and I got 5 or 6 "Loading, Please Wait" messages.

Here is my PMS Log

https://www.mediafire.com/?vv93jvbydet3v4b

The video I was trying to play is

General / Container Stream #1
        Total Video Streams for this File.................1
        Total Audio Streams for this File.................1
        Video Codecs Used.................................AVC
        Audio Codecs Used.................................AC3
        File Format.......................................Matroska
        Play Time.........................................20mn 59s
        Total File Size...................................773 MiB
        Total Stream BitRate..............................5 150 Kbps
        Encoded with......................................mkvmerge v7.0.0 ('Where We Going') 64bit built on Jun 22 2014 08:19:39
        Encoding Library..................................libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1
    Video Stream #1
        Codec (Human Name)................................AVC
        Codec (FourCC)....................................V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
        Codec Profile.....................................High@L4.1
        Frame Width.......................................1 280 pixels
        Frame Height......................................718 pixels
        Frame Rate........................................23.976 fps
        Total Frames......................................30200
        Display Aspect Ratio..............................16:9
        Scan Type.........................................Progressive
        Color Space.......................................YUV
        Codec Settings (Summary)..........................CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
        QF (like Gordian Knot)............................0.209
        Codec Settings (CABAC)............................Yes
        Codec Settings (Reference Frames).................5
        Video Stream Length...............................20mn 59s 593ms
        Video Stream BitRate..............................4 600 Kbps
        Bit Depth.........................................8 bits
        Video Stream Size.................................691 MiB (89%)
        Video Encoder.....................................x264 - core 144 r2525 40bb568
        Video Encoder (Settings)..........................cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
        Video Stream Language.............................English
        Matrix Coefficients...............................BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
    Audio Stream #1
        Codec.............................................AC-3
        Codec (FourCC)....................................A_AC3
        Audio Stream Length...............................20mn 59s 592ms
        Audio Stream BitRate..............................448 Kbps
        Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................CBR
        Number of Audio Channels..........................6
        Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
        Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz
        Bit Depth.........................................16 bits
        Audio Stream Size.................................67.3 MiB (9%)

As requested, I connected the PMS computer to the router via ethernet. My media is also connected to the same router. The client is the Plex app running on a Roku 3 in my bedroom, about 15 feet away from the router.

Now, I didn't use the same brand-new MacBook Pro. I did a clean install of Plex on an older 2008-era Macbook Pro and plugged that into the router. It's more than capable of handling the video, but might be slower.

I tried to play the same 720/6 channel AAC MKV, using the playback setting of "Automatic" and 720/4 Mbs. It gave me the same problem. During the first mintue it said "Loading, Please Wait" twice. And then a few seconds later a third "Loading, Please Wait" came up and the whole thing froze. The status bar got stuck half-way through and sat there for 5mins. Eventually I just quit.

Any ideas on what settings I can use to fix this issue? I can't watch anything on my Plex / Roku 3 setup for more than 15 secs without it saying "Loading, Please Wait." All my media is at 720.

• labguytoddlabguytodd Posts: 135Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Full transcode should work, as well as direct play. This is a known bug in the new roku firmware.

Here is the PMS log from trying to play the above 720 show and failing, using Automatic/720p Mbps. Hope it shines a light on something.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3dh56o65bmocxz/Plex_Media_Server.log.1

Choosing Direct Play doesn't fix anything, in my case. On one hand, I can watch more of the show (1-2 mins) before "Loading, Please Wait" pops up. But when it does, the pause now lasts 30 seconds. Which makes it unusable.

• GAPPGAPP Posts: 65Members ✭✭
    AL512 wrote on March 24 2015, 8:58 AM: »

I'm having the same issue with my new Roku 3 player.  All my devices are connected through wired network, i.e. no WiFi.  Plex server is PC based i5-IvyBridge with 16GB RAM connected directly to a gigabit router and so does the Roku 3. 

I can use Direct Play on MKV BluRay movie with highest quality using Samsung SmartTV app without any problem, but when I use Roku it does "Loading, Please Wait" endlessly that I have to use transcoding and lower the quality to 3Mbps, 720p.  Another weird thing is that sometimes Roku says "Cannot play this type of movie" error when I tried Direct Play.  I said "sometimes" because some other times it does play but with interuptions "Loading, Please Wait".

No other network activity when using Roku, i.e. Plex Server is only serving Roku.

Perhaps we can ask Mr. Matt Seeley why this happens...

I have the exact same situation. Everything is wired, and my Samsung Smart HUB client works like a boss even on 30k bitrate BluRays, whereas my Roku 3 has trouble playing 8k bitrate BluRays. 

Do anyone have a solution to this?

Uncheck all options for direct stream and direct play, leave only transocde (it wont really tax the cpu because it wont be doing much but a container change) you can keep the bitrate up high, I have mine on 1080p 20Mbps and it's fine.  Something in the latest firmware from the roku breaks it, the plex team is working with roku to find out what is causing it.  

edited April 2015

Good news! I updated to the newest Plex Server version 0.9.11.16.958 and it fixed everything.

Thanks Plex!

People with the same issues, let me know if it works for you too.

• laganaflaganaf Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass
    edited April 2015
    serious1234 wrote on April 1 2015, 6:58 PM: »

Good news! I updated to the newest Plex Server version 0.9.11.16.958 and it fixed everything.

Thanks Plex!

People with the same issues, let me know if it works for you too.

I still have the issues, it doen't matter what file type it is, I'm running my plex server from my Qnap TS-239 Pro. tried different setting on the Roku and still no go :(

• tivoaddicttivoaddict Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. I'm on 0.9.11.17 and get the same thing on Roku 3/Roku Stick/Amazon Fire Stick. Local and remote streaming.

Spoke to soon... It's back to giving me "Loading... Please Wait." Though instead of three times a minute, it now pops up once every three minutes.

The werid thing is that the status bar under loading doesn't keep loading. It basically goes to about 20% and sits there frozen for 15secs and then continues to load to 100%.

I'm trying to watch Plex on a TV in my bedroom that is connected to a Roku 3 and I'm ready to give up.

• haras1777@hotmail.comharas1777@hotmail.com Posts: 1Members

I am getting the same issue. Why is it that I pay for a service to work and ITS NOT WORKING?! :angry:

• adaveyadavey Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue for me. I just purchased the Roku because it has a Plex app, but it is basically unusable! :angry:

It's good to hear I'm not alone. I see Plex Pass users got a Roku update months ago. Does this solve the endless buffering issue with Roku?

Also, to help put a spotlight on this issue. I can't stream at 720/4MB without "Loading, Please Wait.." popping up every couple of minutes. On my network. But... I share a Plex library with a friend and can stream the same file off his PMS at 720/4MB without a hitch.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    serious1234 wrote on May 1 2015, 1:55 AM: »

I share a Plex library with a friend and can stream the same file off his PMS at 720/4MB without a hitch.

If you can play off your friend's PMS without issue, I would suspect the problem is in your PMS.  The symptoms sound a lot like an issue when an antivirus/internet security program on the PMS machine is interrupting the transmission of the files from PMS to the clients.  Please list any of these types of software you are running.