If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecast Issues

RMACXX17RMACXX17 Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For whatever reason I can no longer connect plex.tv or the android client to my Chromecasts in my home. Is there a known issue that is causing this?

Using Tapatalk

Comments

• looseygooselooseygoose Posts: 1Members
    edited March 2015

Same here. All of my devices suddenly won't cast. Tried Mac, PC and iPad. Just getting "Unable to cast to device. An unexpected error occurred"

Casting from YouTube and Chrome work fine. Only Plex has stopped working.

• gjustinjgjustinj Posts: 20Members ✭✭

I am having the same problem.  Plex better fix this soon if they want me to continue to be a PLEX PLUS subscriber.  This kind of change into a LIVE environment is unacceptable. 

• omanjenkinsomanjenkins Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Same problem. Have tried doing a hard reboot of chromecast and have made sure that all plex is up to date. Will check back to see if plex replies.thinking it may have to do with the update they released
  • paulvermettepaulvermette Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Yep. I am having the same issues as well.... 

• gjustinjgjustinj Posts: 20Members ✭✭

I've tried the following, nothing has worked so far.

Restart Plex Server

Restart Google Chromecast App

Restart Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone

Restart Plex App on Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone

Uninstall & Reinstall Plexx App on Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone

Unplug & plug in HDMI of Google Chromecast from tv

Change DNS to local, and then back to Google

Nothing is working.. PLEX please fix this - I use your program daily thought Google Chromecast.

• TalonlinkTalonlink Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem.

I have attached a log file from my Samsung Galaxy S5 

it looks like it tries to connect to chromecast and then says unable to connect to device but the device is visible, just will not connect

log.txt 111.7K
  • csmarkuscsmarkus Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't even see any of my Chromecasts on my phone or tablet. I get "Unable to cast to device" when I try from Plexweb =\

• WodiexbWodiexb Posts: 5Members

Same here!!

Did a factory reset on the chromecast an am able to stream plex from android and plexweb

• RMACXX17RMACXX17 Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Now it connects but it's out of ratio image wise. Looks like they are working on it...
    Using Tapatalk
  • tbowe2tbowe2 Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i'm having the EXACT Same issues..on 2 different Chromecasts.  It actually was "unable to cast to these devices" at first this afternoon..then after updating my plex server, android apps, and power cycling AND factory resetting the chromcasts themselves, i'm able to cast but its all out of Ratio just as "Russell Mckenny" says above.  

and my other apps like slingbox are not even recognizing the chromecasts.  What happened today with these?  Did Google push out some terrible update that screwed these things all up.  Plex Devs/Ninjas, any thoughts?

• themoethemoe Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Yep, same issue here; when I do cast just a little video window in the corner of the screen.... Glad its not an isolated issue on my end; but disappointed when I pay for the service and it seems like 1/5 updates break something.

• seafire7seafire7 Posts: 1Members ✭✭

yip thats just started happing with me. I can connect using youtube but when i try casting with plex now joy.

• toddphitoddphi Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2015

I have two Chromecast units. Since updating to the new iOS App (and updating PLEX Media Server on my QNAP NAS) my iOS devices now only see ONE of the two Chromecasts. I tried a hardware reset and then reconfiguring the "missing" Chromecast but it makes no difference. Also tried a restart of the iOS devices. Both Chromecasts appear to be functioning normally (YouTube sees them both, and they both display the artwork on my TV). Only PLEX cannot see the second Chromecast.

• daibhihalldaibhihall Posts: 1Members ✭✭

Yep I can't see Chromecast either on iOS. I've restarted everything and nothing. Every other app sees Chromecast.

• toddphitoddphi Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@toddphi said:
    I have two Chromecast units. Since updating to the new iOS App (and updating PLEX Media Server on my QNAP NAS) my iOS devices now only see ONE of the two Chromecasts. I tried a hardware reset and then reconfiguring the "missing" Chromecast but it makes no difference. Also tried a restart of the iOS devices. Both Chromecasts appear to be functioning normally (YouTube sees them both, and they both display the artwork on my TV). Only PLEX cannot see the second Chromecast.

Resolved this problem by doing the following:

1) Restarted my router (an Apple Airport Extreme)
    2) Hard reset on both my Chromecast units, starting the setup process from the beginning

Now I can see both Chromecasts as per usual and PLEX can cast to them now.

The PLEX iOS interface is much improved.

Now if I can just get Chrome on my Windows 10 PC to see the Chromecasts...

• madLyfemadLyfe Posts: 2Members
    edited August 2015

i always get this error from the cast extension.

and on my tv it shows plex is 'ready to cast - choose some media in plex and play it here' even though ive done that. even when i dont get that error from the cast extension and it looks to be working correctly, i still get this message on my tv from plex.

i did a factory reset on my chromecast and i have the same issue.

i can use plex to watch stuff on my phone just fine. i can even stream plex from my phone to my chromecast just fine. just not from my puter to chromecast.

• smithy7728smithy7728 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Hello there
    My Plex app on my iOS won't recognise the device I'm trying to cast to, ever since the latest update for iOS.
    The option for 'choose a player' merely gives my phone, not the TV I want to cast to!
    Any help please?

• pbunyan568pbunyan568 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

After updating to current server on Ubuntu I cannot cast to chromecast anymore. It gets right to the loading screen and tells me its unable to cast after it hangs for about a minute. This just started after I updated server.