If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

reFocus for Plex/Nine (RELEASE)

El MassmanEl Massman Posts: 585Members, Plex Pass
edited September 2010 in Refocus
refocusforplex.png

reFocus for Plex is a port of reFocus, a skin for XBMC by Jeroen. The original skin can be found here... reFocus for XBMC ...If you enjoy using this skin it'd be awesome if you could show your appreciation to Jeroen too. After all, without him this skin wouldn't exist!

Now, onto the fun stuff.

Firstly, you're going to need to install reFocus. The way I'd recommend doing this is using Preen, the new and bad-ass skin manager made by our very own vicariousMe. Preen can be found here... Preen Skin Manager ...Of course, the skin is available as a standard download from github as per usual HERE. However, I'd really really recommend using Preen Skin Manager. :D

As you may know from the other thread, this (see below) is the reFocus welcome screen and the first thing you'll be greeted by when you load up the skin...

nightd.jpg

If you would like to contribute some images to be used in the welcome screen please upload them to imageshack and post them in THIS thread.

Some things to know...

This (see below) is the reFocus for Plex home screen...

homefn.png

The right hand list is automatically populated with your library sections you set up within Media Manager. To choose custom images, you need to set them using the 'Customize Section > Choose Background Art' option within Media Manager.

There is an option to remove the 'reFocus for Plex' logo in Settings > Skin Settings > Homescreen.

Warning: The reFocus homescreen uses a random slideshow of cached fanart as its default background. It is advisable that if you currently have/have previously had any 'adult' content in your library that you not use this feature.

Adam K wrote on 05 September 2010 - 04:20 PM:

bit embarassing this........

i am using the refocus skin, and when you are at the main menu section it displays a random image in the background taken from your fanart (or a screenshot from something that doesn't have any fanart).

i happened to accidentally add a folder with some errrrrr, adult content as a movie source.

i quickly removed this folder from my sources, but now even though i have none of those movies in my collection, refocus still seems to use the stills from these movies as background images on my main menu screen.

anyone know how i can stop it doing this?

thanks!

Adam K wrote on 05 September 2010 - 04:23 PM:

you try explaining to people why you have some lesbian action going on in the background of your media centre! to top it off it's feeding a projector throwing a 120" image, so it's not subtle either :lol:

Consider yourself warned!

Classic Home Screen

For those of you who don't like the new 'reFocus for Plex' homescreen there is an option to enable the original homescreen in Settings > Skin Settings > Homescreen.

classichf.png

What does 'reFocus for Plex' look like you ask? Here's just a few screenshots to give you an idea. If you want to see any more you'll have to install it!

Youtube Video courtesy of me.ezrider

Youtube Video

TV Shows

bannerus.png
posterslide.png
biglist.png

Movies

galleryeb.png
slideq.png

Plex Theme

There is now an option to use a 'Plex' theme within reFocus for Plex. To do this you need to first change the skin colors in Settings > Appearance > Skin Colors to 'Plex'. You them need to enable 'Black background (for Plex theme)' in Settings > Skin Settings > Fanart.

post-503-12834570304408.jpg

Download

Download reFocus for Plex using Preen Skin Manager

Comments

• jansinkjansink Posts: 39Members
    Thanks for porting this great skin!! Great job!

One question, is it possible to add a 'now playing' visualisation (like in the mediastream skin) while playing music?
  • unisonrussunisonruss Plex-Enthusiast Posts: 1,901Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Great job Marc! It's been fun testing it :D I do have one request you may not know about...and it is jansink's. The 'Now Playing' is just a black screen, and it would be awesome if it defaulted to the "Now Playing" used in mediastream :D Cheers!
  • bushdbushd Posts: 191Members
    yes this is a very nice skin, thanks for porting, and of course thanks to the original skinner ;) i think this skin will be my default skin for now on ... and yeah, the black "now playing" is kinda ... dark :D but I think its just because the porting is not yet complete ?
  • El MassmanEl Massman Posts: 585Members, Plex Pass
    Knew I'd forgotten something. That's one of the things I was supposed to adding at 4am this morning!! Thanks for the heads up guys! :D

By the way, for those of you who downloaded straight away, there's been an update to use the original media flags since then. It really completes the skin. Big up to Elan for that one!
    I've been listening to what you've all said and the most popular request seems to be to have the option to use the original home screen. That's in, along with the option to hide Plex Online in the accessories Sub Menu. The list view will be added in the next few days. All you need to do is to update. :D

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Marc
  • lougreenwoodlougreenwood Posts: 21Members
    Could we get the option Plex Online in the Plugins menu instead, seems more appropriate and intuitive! ;)

Cheers
  • fhbfhb Posts: 362Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2010
    Great skin, only two things annoy me a little:

The big Refocus for Plex logo on the homescreen. Just doesn't fit in my opinion.
    The second thing is, that when using the viewtype big list and I have selected the first episode, the last episode of the season is appearing on top.

Love the skin, looks fantastic, separates the sections from less often used menu items and is damn fast.

The normal list doesn't show the episode number.
    It seems to me, that everything but the short description is moving on scrolling through the big list. Something bugs me, just not totally sure what it is.
    A Tv Show's theme song doesn't end on leaving the season menu.
    fhb wrote on 31 August 2010 - 10:23 PM:

The big Refocus for Plex logo on the homescreen. Just doesn't fit in my opinion.
    The second thing is, that when using the viewtype big list and I have selected the first episode, the last episode of the season is appearing on top.

Love the skin, looks fantastic, separates the sections from less often used menu items and is damn fast.

It seems to me, that everything but the short description is moving on scrolling through the big list. Something bugs me, just not totally sure what it is.

There's an option for the original home screen now if you'd like to try that. It's under homescreen > use original refocus home screen in skin settings. If that doesn't work for you I can add an option to remove the logo. :) Pretty much everything else you mentioned is a limitation in our skinning engine over XBMC's but I'm looking into workarounds. The skin should be receiving frequent updates over the coming weeks so keep checking back and hopefully it'll reach a stage we're all happy with.

Thanks for the feedback!
    fhb wrote on 31 August 2010 - 02:23 PM:

What doesn't fit about it? Would you prefer something more simple, perhaps just the Plex logo? Marc was pondering both, so all feedback is appreciated :)

As for your other issues, I'm not experiencing that at all. Episodes are correctly ordered, and theme music starts and stops appropriately... anyone else dealing with this?
  • eyeballtickler7eyeballtickler7 Posts: 153Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    El Massman wrote on 31 August 2010 - 09:37 PM:

There's an option for the original home screen now if you'd like to try that. It's under homescreen > use original refocus home screen in skin settings.

When selecting this original view, the movies and tv shows menus go to the bottom underneath plugins etc, can you make it so they appear at the top like the original skin?

Great work in porting the skin to Plex. Your efforts will not go unrewarded! I would like to make a donation come payday!
    Russ wrote on 31 August 2010 - 10:40 PM:

What doesn't fit about it? Would you prefer something more simple, perhaps just the Plex logo? Marc was pondering both, so all feedback is appreciated :)

As for your other issues, I'm not experiencing that at all. Episodes are correctly ordered, and theme music starts and stops appropriately... anyone else dealing with this?

That's a good idea Russ, I could have an option to scroll through 3 settings. Off, reFocus for Plex and Plex with the logos. I guess there's something for everyone then.
    Marc is a true gentleman, isn't he? Well done sir! B)
    @El Massmann that would be great. I'm already happy to have found such a great new skin, I am coming from Plexaeon (which I always loved but somehow lost some of its attraction with plex 9, at least for the moment) Is the weather supposed to work?

@Russ
    The theme music always plays to the end and does not end when leaving the menu.. It doesn't bug me, well just looked @mediastream, it behaves the same way as refocus.
    The order ist just fine but I don't like cycling through the episodes (going from the first to the last by one click on my "up"-button and already seeing the last on top of the selected first episode. Hope you get what I'm trying to say, english is not my first language.

One short question slightly offtopic: Is there a way to deactivate the new selection ( All Movies, Recently aired, recently added etc.) appearing after going to one of my sections? Maybe only activating that bei pressing the "right"-button
    fhb wrote on 31 August 2010 - 11:02 PM:

@El Massmann that would be great. I'm already happy to have found such a great new skin, I am coming from Plexaeon (which I always loved but somehow lost some of its attraction with plex 9, at least for the moment) Is the weather supposed to work?

@Russ
    The theme music always plays to the end and does not end when leaving the menu.. It doesn't bug me, well just looked @mediastream, it behaves the same way as refocus.
    The order ist just fine but I don't like cycling through the episodes (going from the first to the last by one click on my "up"-button and already seeing the last on top of the selected first episode. Hope you get what I'm trying to say, english is not my first language.

One short question slightly offtopic: Is there a way to deactivate the new selection ( All Movies, Recently aired, recently added etc.) appearing after going to one of my sections? Maybe only activating that bei pressing the "right"-button

The big list is going to be like that until I can persuade Elan to start pimping the skinning engine but I think that certainly for a while he's going to be focusing mainly on issues people are having with the new library, and rightly so. I have however animated the plot now which I guess is a small consolidation. :) With what you're saying about the submenus, no. I don't think that's possible at the moment. The possibilities with the underlying architecture of the new library allow virtually limitless possibilities, so I imagine this is something that will surface pretty quickly. Again, thanks for all the feedback. Don't feel discourages that not everything's going to be possible straight away. Keep pointing stuff out and I'll endeavor to help as much as possible.
    edited September 2010
    all right, thanks for the quick response, it's night time in germany.

edit: saw the bug report thread
  • j0nd0ej0nd0e Posts: 7Members
    Hey man, I have to say excellent job, really enjoying the new skin - I'm running it as my default at the moment. Just one thing - when you have the episodes in 'slide' view the watched overlay doesn't work. Would it be possible to add that in? I completely understand this is a work in progress.

Also, I love the wall view and have quite a lot of films so it makes it easy to see a lot of them at once, but I miss not being able to see whether they're 1080p, 720p etc. Is there any way you could add in the option to have the resolution flag, maybe somewhere under the plot on the right hand side.

Again, congrats on the great work - and it's really good to see you're reading feedback and replying on the thread.

j0n
    j0nd0e wrote on 31 August 2010 - 04:47 PM:

Hey man, I have to say excellent job, really enjoying the new skin - I'm running it as my default at the moment. Just one thing - when you have the episodes in 'slide' view the watched overlay doesn't work. Would it be possible to add that in? I completely understand this is a work in progress.

Also, I love the wall view and have quite a lot of films so it makes it easy to see a lot of them at once, but I miss not being able to see whether they're 1080p, 720p etc. Is there any way you could add in the option to have the resolution flag, maybe somewhere under the plot on the right hand side.

Again, congrats on the great work - and it's really good to see you're reading feedback and replying on the thread.

j0n

Hey, you can actually enable overlays in the reFocus settings...they are off by default. Also, there are more advanced flags in Slide view that you can enable as well :)
  • hrcolb0hrcolb0 Posts: 1,239Members ✭✭
    This skin is dope!
    edited September 2010
    j0nd0e wrote on 01 September 2010 - 12:47 AM:

j0n

I noticed that too. How's this? Let me know if you think the resolution flag would be better. :)
  • j0nd0ej0nd0e Posts: 7Members
    Yeah those look really good thanks, I guess it's a personal thing but HD/SD flags would be enough for me - if you want to know more you can always go to the 'movie information' screen. It just makes a difference to be able to see at a glance whether the file is HD or not.

Also thanks to Russ for the info, I'll turn on the overlays in the skin settings.

Thanks again El Massman for taking the time to look at this.